Kenny Chesney Debuts Video On MySpace
- The video for Kenny Chesney‘s song “Out Last Night” debuted on MySpace today. Proceed with caution, you’ll never get the next three minutes and 16 seconds of your life back.
- Farce the Music sold out to make a serious recommendation for Do Wrong Right by The Devil Makes Three (MySpace). That’s the second strong endorsement for this album in as many days, which can only mean two things; it’s probably good and doesn’t sound like Kenny Chesney.
- Speaking of endorsements, Hickory Wind’s Hal Bogerd recommends Ronnie Fauss‘ New Songs for the Old Frontier: Volume One .
The opening track, “The Saddest Love That’s Ever Been Made”, has some of the saddest pedal steel guitar you’re going to hear this year and the moving closer “With Love”, about the heartbreaking loss of his father at a young age, could have been subtitled the “Saddest Song That’s Ever Been Sung”.
- Reba McEntire on her new album: “I think that my song selections are a little more hip,” she says. “I know they’re more uptempo. They’re funky, they’re sassy, they’ve got attitude.”
- The Austin Chronicle‘s Austin Powell says the latest Bloodshot release from Scott H. Biram (MySpace), Something’s Wrong/Lost Forever, is his strongest work to date.
- The newest episode of CMT Crossroads will pair Canadian rocker Bryan Adams and Jason Aldean.
- On May 11 Gretchen Peters plans to release a collection of songs drawn from 1996’s The Secret Of Life through 2007’s Burnt Toast & Offerings titled Circus Girl: The Best Of Gretchen Peters. Unfortunately the compilation will only be available in the UK and Europe, but a deluxe edition, with a second disc of rarities and an expanded collector’s edition of the booklet, will be released on both sides of the Atlantic in August. (via newsletter)
- My Kind of Country shines the spotlight on Keith Whitley.
- An article of quotes from Chucks Wicks, Julianne Hough, Rascal Flatts, Jason Aldean and the Carter Twins on the passing of Vern Gosdin can only mean one thing — Country California has a new satire piece.
- In the newest edition of his “Nashville Skyline” column, Chet Flippo rips the recent Newsweek article that deplored the current state of country music
- Phosphorescent frontman Matthew Houck, who recently released a tribute album to Willie Nelson titled To Willie, wrote about his experience of receiving a voice mail from Willie about said tribute album. (via Paste)
- Ninebullets.net on Dale Watson‘s new CD: “I defy you to not tap your feet and smile while listening to this cd. If there was an award for ‘Most Fun CD of the Year,’ The Truckin’ Sessions Vol. 2 would currently have my vote.”
- Craig Shelburne shared a hand-picked playlist of recent independent roots music that includes songs from Sara Watkins, the Flatlanders and NewFound Road among others.
- Country California’s C.M. Wilcox on the Byron Hill album Stay a While:
Given that Hill’s previous albums spent about half their time dealing wonderfully in the problems of love, it’s a little disappointing to find that everything is suddenly going so terribly right. While most of these songs are fine and even enjoyable on their own, the album sags a bit under the weight of so many of them.
He does however, recommend a couple of songs that stand out.
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.