Kellie Pickler — “Little Bit Gypsy”
Since releasing 2012’s critically acclaimed 100 Proof to little success at country radio, Kellie Pickler took an alternate route to mainstream visibility in 2013.
She shaved off her long blonde hair in support of a friend’s battle with cancer and joined Dancing with the Stars. Her hair grew back into a pert pixie cut befitting her personality, and she ran away with the dancing competition to come out on top. Suddenly, it wasn’t just the American Idol fanatics and country music traditionalists looking for a twenty-something savior who knew Pickler’s name.
So now, what about the musical follow-up?
With just two new singles out, it’s hard to tell exactly where the next intersection of the country-pop perfection of “Red High Heels” and the slow burn of “Long As I Never See You Again” will fall. But since leaving Sony and signing with Black River Entertainment, it’s been a mixed bag.
After the sweeping but drooping “Someone Somewhere Tonight” (and its well-timed music video with fellow DWTS winner Derek Hough), Pickler forges on with the perky “Little Bit Gypsy,” a title tailor-made for a pre-teen Instagram handle ripe for a slew of selfies. But instead of oversharing, the song oversells.
“Little Bit Gypsy” is less of a story and more of a character sketch, owing much of its punch to its singer’s expert flourishes. While songwriters Tammi Lynn Kidd, Fred Wilhelm and Kyle Jacobs (Mr. Pickler) can take credit for the catchy chorus and undertones of the organ keep things quirky, it’s Pickler that most successfully stretches and spins her way through the song — especially on song highlight “I don’t know where I’m headed to/I just know I wanna go with you/Do you wanna go too?” — as if she still had on sequins and tights.
It’s fun, and then it’s over — just like its protagonist, “Little Big Gypsy” rolls in and out of town without much left behind. After an unforgettable year, this is an entirely forgettable song.
- Bobby P.: Thanks for the link to my one hit wonder article!
- Leeann: I'm glad you reviewed this album. I think your rating is what I'd give it too. It's a good album, …
- luckyoldsun: That Bobby Bare/Bill Parsons story has been often told, but I still don't quite understand how two then-nobodies could go …
- Leeann: The Jack Clement album is quite good!
- Donald: "Ryan Adams announced .... the August 19 release of “1984,'" Which, I'm told, is the fifteen years later update of his …
- Lynchie from Aberdeen: Delighted to hear that Hot Rize have a new album coming out – and thanks for the link to that …
- luckyoldsun: Nobody can do Karaoke George Jones like Kershaw!
- Bruce: LW, Don't apologize for your Bryant comment. You were more gracious than I would have been.
- Bruce: My vote is for Marty Stuart for his exhaustive body of work that is directional yet diversified.
- Leeann: Dang! Let me write my above sentence again!: Kelley MicKwee’s album is sounding good so far too. I really like “Beautiful …