Kellie Pickler Announces Engagement; Loretta Lynn & Willie Nelson Recordings Enter Library of Congress
- Kellie Pickler and songwriter Kyle Jacobs announced their engagement. Jacobs popped the question on June 15, the birthday of Pickler’s late grandmother.
- The New York Times‘ Jon Caramanica recapped Tuesday night’s four-hour concert, “Nashville Rising: A Benefit for Flood Recovery,” which was hosted by Tim McGraw and Faith Hill. There was even a surprise appearance from Sandra Bullock.
- Jon Caramanica also reviewed a recent Elizabeth Cook gig in New York.
- Loretta Lynn‘s “Coal Miner’s Daughter” and Willie Nelson‘s Red Headed Stranger were among the 25 recordings named to the National Recording Registry of the Library of Congress on Wednesday.
- Kenny Chesney wants his next record to set the stage for the next phase of his music career in the same way he says No Shoes, No Shirt, No Problems opened up the music he’s made for the past eight years. The record, due out on Sept. 28, pulls its name from the Guy Clark song “Hemingway’s Whiskey.”
Congrats to all the winners from our recent contests. We’ll be sending emails out shortly to get your shipping info.
- People magazine has reason to believe the relationship between Julianne Hough and Ryan Seacrest is getting more serious.
- Next week Jimmy Webb will release Just Across The River, an album that collects new interpretations of some of his best-known songs from artists like Vince Gill, Willie Nelson, Lucinda Williams, and yes, even Glen Campbell.
Here’s a load of recent Music Fog videos:
- Both Darrell Scott and Kris Kristofferson received high marks from Jewly Hight in American Songwriter for A Crooked Road and Please Don’t Tell Me How the Story Ends: The Publishing Demos 1968-72, their respective recent releases.
- Tim O’Brien will release his 13th solo project, Chicken & Egg, on July 13.
One Night Music bills itself as a group of people that find talented independent artists and film them candidly performing a selection of their music in an intimate setting. Sounds pretty cool, like what Music Fog does or the American Songwriter Sessions. They recently filmed their first country performance — California artist Dave Gleason, who released an album last week titled Turn and Fade. Check out the video below and visit One Night Music to watch a few more.
- Paige: Oh damn. :( I never commented here and I haven't been listening to any music at all since Thanksgiving (it …
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …