Keith Urban and Brad Paisley to Honor Glen Campbell; Sammy Shelor to Perform on Letterman; New Album and Book Releases
- Brad Paisley and Keith Urban will honor Glen Campbell with a musical tribute at the CMA Awards.
- Kellie Pickler’s upcoming album (out January 24), includes a song called “Where’s Tammy Wynette.”
- Prairie Home Companion sound effects creator, Tom Keith, passed away on Sunday after suddenly collapsing at his home. He was 64.
- In 2012, Dierks Bentley has shows planned in Canada and Australia.
- Sugarland returned to Indiana on Friday.
- Here’s an excerpt from Brad Paisley’s new book Diary of a Player.
- Set your DVR: Sammy Shelor and the Lonesome River Band will perform with Steve Martin on The Late Show with David Letterman on November 11.
- Tom Waits was interviewed by Fresh Air’s Terry Gross about new album Bad as Me. An excerpt: To make the recording sound older, Waits added the sound of vinyl pops and clicks — using a piece of chicken barbecuing on a grill. “It sounds exactly like vinyl if you hold the microphone up to your barbecue,” he says.
- Miranda Lambert on married life: “We cook meat out on our smoker, then we watch TV.”
- Dehlia Low, the Gibson Brothers, and Tony Rice are a few of the acts announced as part of the 2012 MerleFest initial lineup. Tickets go on sale November 8.
- RFD-TV has a new show, Reflections from the Circle, which features Eddie Stubbs interviewing artists like Vince Gill and Charlie Daniels.
- John Goad of Bluegrass Today reviewed the late Marty Godbey’s biography Crowe on the Banjo: The Musical Life of JD Crowe.
- Peter Cooper spoke with the McCrary Sisters about new record Our Journey and their pal Bob (as in Dylan).
- Kris Kristofferson and Jackson Browne are two of Martina McBride’s songwriting heroes.
- Give a listen to T-Bone Burnett on the World Café as he reflects on some of the projects he’s done over the years.
- New albums and books:
Sons of Fathers – Sons of Fathers
- bob: Enjoyed the Himes article on classic baseball songs. Thanks. Himes also mentioned some books. To those he noted I would …
- luckyoldsun: Well it probably wasn't Larry Gatlin.
- A.B.: Anyone else think Marty Stuart might be part of Lakehouse Holdings that bought the Johnny Cash/Barry Gibb property?
- David Cantwell: Thanks, Andrew. It almost seems inevitable that the greatest singers--Sinatra and George Jones, say--just don't sing so well at the …
- Andrew: Very well put. I don't remember the last time an album gave me chills right from the opening note quite …
- TX Music Jim: All valid choices. I will forever hold out the hope that Gram Parsons, Jerry Jeff Walker and Gary Stewart will …
- Leeann Ward: Oops...the link: http://www.engine145.com/summer-lovin-ronnie-milsap-looks-back-new-album/
- Leeann Ward: Yes, great choices for inductees! In Milsap's case, I guess if you say it to Juli Thanki, it will happen!:): Do …
- Paul W Dennis: Delighted to see "The Voice With A Heart" being inducted - he is my all-time favorite bluegrass vocalist. Hank Cochran …
- luckyoldsun: I don't know what exactly makes one a national treasure, but I'd give that appellation to Mac Wiseman before the …