Keith Urban and Brad Paisley to Honor Glen Campbell; Sammy Shelor to Perform on Letterman; New Album and Book Releases
- Brad Paisley and Keith Urban will honor Glen Campbell with a musical tribute at the CMA Awards.
- Kellie Pickler’s upcoming album (out January 24), includes a song called “Where’s Tammy Wynette.”
- Prairie Home Companion sound effects creator, Tom Keith, passed away on Sunday after suddenly collapsing at his home. He was 64.
- In 2012, Dierks Bentley has shows planned in Canada and Australia.
- Sugarland returned to Indiana on Friday.
- Here’s an excerpt from Brad Paisley’s new book Diary of a Player.
- Set your DVR: Sammy Shelor and the Lonesome River Band will perform with Steve Martin on The Late Show with David Letterman on November 11.
- Tom Waits was interviewed by Fresh Air’s Terry Gross about new album Bad as Me. An excerpt: To make the recording sound older, Waits added the sound of vinyl pops and clicks — using a piece of chicken barbecuing on a grill. “It sounds exactly like vinyl if you hold the microphone up to your barbecue,” he says.
- Miranda Lambert on married life: “We cook meat out on our smoker, then we watch TV.”
- Dehlia Low, the Gibson Brothers, and Tony Rice are a few of the acts announced as part of the 2012 MerleFest initial lineup. Tickets go on sale November 8.
- RFD-TV has a new show, Reflections from the Circle, which features Eddie Stubbs interviewing artists like Vince Gill and Charlie Daniels.
- John Goad of Bluegrass Today reviewed the late Marty Godbey’s biography Crowe on the Banjo: The Musical Life of JD Crowe.
- Peter Cooper spoke with the McCrary Sisters about new record Our Journey and their pal Bob (as in Dylan).
- Kris Kristofferson and Jackson Browne are two of Martina McBride’s songwriting heroes.
- Give a listen to T-Bone Burnett on the World Café as he reflects on some of the projects he’s done over the years.
- New albums and books:
Sons of Fathers – Sons of Fathers
- Leeann Ward: Interesting! I just got an email from Amozon saying that they cancelled my preorder of Jamey Johnson's Christmas album due …
- luckyoldsun: Jim Z-- I get the feeling Barry was this close to calling you what Kinky Friedman called his guy from El …
- Leeann Ward: Thanks, NM. I like a good pop hook, to be honest. So, maybe I need to try it again.
- Barry Mazor: OK, Jim Z. That changes everything. I surrender.
- Jim Z: to call the Dirty River Boys an "Austin area band" is still incorrect. They are based in El Paso.
- nm: Leeann, you and I often have similar tastes in more-traditional country. And, to my ears, Sam Hunt's voice and lyrics …
- Barry Mazor: Matter of fact, as always--I did. The notes say the album was recorded & mixed by and at "The …
- Roger: Looking forward to picking up the Jamey Johnson Christmas EP - love all of those songs and can't wait for …
- Jim Z: that record was recorded in El Paso. (you could look it up) and other than appearing in Austin once in …
- Leeann Ward: Yes, I can always use more dobro in my life! Thanks for the Phil Leadbetter tip! I haven't been able to …