Keith Urban and Brad Paisley to Honor Glen Campbell; Sammy Shelor to Perform on Letterman; New Album and Book Releases
- Brad Paisley and Keith Urban will honor Glen Campbell with a musical tribute at the CMA Awards.
- Kellie Pickler’s upcoming album (out January 24), includes a song called “Where’s Tammy Wynette.”
- Prairie Home Companion sound effects creator, Tom Keith, passed away on Sunday after suddenly collapsing at his home. He was 64.
- In 2012, Dierks Bentley has shows planned in Canada and Australia.
- Sugarland returned to Indiana on Friday.
- Here’s an excerpt from Brad Paisley’s new book Diary of a Player.
- Set your DVR: Sammy Shelor and the Lonesome River Band will perform with Steve Martin on The Late Show with David Letterman on November 11.
- Tom Waits was interviewed by Fresh Air’s Terry Gross about new album Bad as Me. An excerpt: To make the recording sound older, Waits added the sound of vinyl pops and clicks — using a piece of chicken barbecuing on a grill. “It sounds exactly like vinyl if you hold the microphone up to your barbecue,” he says.
- Miranda Lambert on married life: “We cook meat out on our smoker, then we watch TV.”
- Dehlia Low, the Gibson Brothers, and Tony Rice are a few of the acts announced as part of the 2012 MerleFest initial lineup. Tickets go on sale November 8.
- RFD-TV has a new show, Reflections from the Circle, which features Eddie Stubbs interviewing artists like Vince Gill and Charlie Daniels.
- John Goad of Bluegrass Today reviewed the late Marty Godbey’s biography Crowe on the Banjo: The Musical Life of JD Crowe.
- Peter Cooper spoke with the McCrary Sisters about new record Our Journey and their pal Bob (as in Dylan).
- Kris Kristofferson and Jackson Browne are two of Martina McBride’s songwriting heroes.
- Give a listen to T-Bone Burnett on the World Café as he reflects on some of the projects he’s done over the years.
- New albums and books:
Sons of Fathers – Sons of Fathers
- bob: Enjoyed the articles on the story behind "When She Cries" and the dearth of women on Canadian Country radio. Thanks. …
- Saving Country Music: Everything that came out in Friday's assessment of Studio 'A' by the developer was stuff we already knew. The only …
- bob: Thanks Barry. Just reserved the Adam Gussow book. Sounds interesting.
- Barry Mazor: It may be over-stated, in arriving at practically a single explanation of everything, but Adam Gussow's book on lynching and …
- Leeann: Wow! Heavy topic and horrifying indeed! "Beer for My Horses" was all fun and games until that reference, I'll have …
- Barry Mazor: Everything else aside, the way that reporter fills us in, with must-have, pointless generational snark included, about who this "Little …
- luckyoldsun: "The Night The Lights Went Out in Georgia" seems to be about a lynching--even if there's something about a judge …
- Arlene: Sorry. I meant to give the link for "Supper Time." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZ58Kfe41kI
- Arlene: Another song sung by Ethel Waters: Irving Berlin's "Supper Time"
- bob: Powerful songs. I read the book "A Lynching in the Heartland" by James H. Madison about a dozen years ago. …