Jerry Lee Lewis, Kasey Chambers Announce New Albums; Dolly Parton Wows Glastonbury; Music Videos
- Soul singer Bobby Womack passed away on Friday. He was 70 years old.
- On October 28, Jerry Lee Lewis will release Rock & Roll Time. Here’s the title track. The biography Jerry Lee Lewis: His Own Story, penned by Pulitzer-winning writer Rick Bragg, will be released on the same date.
- Developer Tim Reynolds, whose company may buy the building housing RCA’s legendary Studio A, tells The Nashville Scene that “if Bravo Development consummates its sale, it is our full intention to preserve and incorporate the studio into our design…We are now in the early stages of the engineer work and architectural work, but if that can be achieved, we will incorporate that studio and preserve it.” A “Save Studio A” rally is being held in Nashville this morning.
- Kasey Chambers announced on Facebook that her new record, Bittersweet, will be released August 29.
- Get a hick-hop history lesson from Jewly Hight.
- Dolly Parton played in front of a crowd of 100,000 at Glastonbury. Watch her hour-long set here. Parton was honored on Sunday for selling 100 million albums worldwide over the course of her career.
- C.M. Wilcox posted a new Quotable Country.
- Del McCoury and Doyle Lawson’s Bluegrass Hall of Fame plaques were unveiled at ROMP late last week.
- Give a listen to Ryan Adams’ new single, “Gimme Something Good.”
- 83-year-old Paul Eckhart, who hasn’t missed a weekend Opry show in 42 years, has “retired.”
- Zac Brown Band played a couple shows at Fenway Park; check out Rolling Stone Country’s review of Sunday night’s concert.
- Joe Henry was on NPR over the weekend.
- Stream I Draw Slow’s new album at The Bluegrass Situation.
- American Songwriter chose Lynyrd Skynyrd’s “Sweet Home Alabama” as their Lyric of the Week.
- A 2003 concert recording, John Mellencamp Performs Trouble No More Live at Town Hall, will be released on July 8. USA Today premiered Mellencamp’s take on “John the Revelator” this morning.
- Here’s a neat feature on Kelsey Waldon.
- The July issue of Cowboys & Indians includes an article about the country music photo exhibit at the Annenberg Space for Photography in L.A.
- New music videos:
John Fullbright – “Happy”
Nickel Creek – “Hayloft”
Miranda Lambert and Carrie Underwood – “Somethin’ Bad”
Hard Working Americans – “Blackland Farmer”
Trampled By Turtles – “Wild Animals”
Whiskey Myers – “Dogwood”
Randy Houser – “Like a Cowboy”
Tim McGraw and Faith Hill – “Meanwhile Back at Mama’s”
- Roger: Fabulous interview and fantastic new music that I will listen to over and over again.
- Applejack: It's not just you, Andrew L. I just listened to the clips on Amazon, and the autotune effect is terrible.
- Andrew L.: Is it just me or does Strait sound horribly autotuned on the clips for the new live album? I can't …
- Juli Thanki: You'll get to hear it pretty soon: The Wall Street Journal is going to stream the album on their website …
- Leeann Ward: Way to go to David Cantwell for getting a name drop! Great interview, Juli! Womack's new album is awesome! I've not always …
- Jonathan Pappalardo: Great interview as always, Juli! The new album is fantastic. "Same Kind of Different" is my favorite cut although "Fly" is …
- Dave D.: Good interview. Looking forward to the new record, and particularly interested in hearing her version of Brennen Leigh's "Sleeping with …
- nm: I guess it's not surprising that a singer who gets her songs all over the place, the way Womack does, …
- SunsetPark: As a Pennsylvanian to this day, thanks for the list. I haven't heard the Quecreek song and so can't …
- Paul W Dennis: I would urge readers to check out the Billy Edd Wheeler salute on October 18, 2014. Billy Edd Wheeler is …