Jerry Lee Lewis, Kasey Chambers Announce New Albums; Dolly Parton Wows Glastonbury; Music Videos
- Soul singer Bobby Womack passed away on Friday. He was 70 years old.
- On October 28, Jerry Lee Lewis will release Rock & Roll Time. Here’s the title track. The biography Jerry Lee Lewis: His Own Story, penned by Pulitzer-winning writer Rick Bragg, will be released on the same date.
- Developer Tim Reynolds, whose company may buy the building housing RCA’s legendary Studio A, tells The Nashville Scene that “if Bravo Development consummates its sale, it is our full intention to preserve and incorporate the studio into our design…We are now in the early stages of the engineer work and architectural work, but if that can be achieved, we will incorporate that studio and preserve it.” A “Save Studio A” rally is being held in Nashville this morning.
- Kasey Chambers announced on Facebook that her new record, Bittersweet, will be released August 29.
- Get a hick-hop history lesson from Jewly Hight.
- Dolly Parton played in front of a crowd of 100,000 at Glastonbury. Watch her hour-long set here. Parton was honored on Sunday for selling 100 million albums worldwide over the course of her career.
- C.M. Wilcox posted a new Quotable Country.
- Del McCoury and Doyle Lawson’s Bluegrass Hall of Fame plaques were unveiled at ROMP late last week.
- Give a listen to Ryan Adams’ new single, “Gimme Something Good.”
- 83-year-old Paul Eckhart, who hasn’t missed a weekend Opry show in 42 years, has “retired.”
- Zac Brown Band played a couple shows at Fenway Park; check out Rolling Stone Country’s review of Sunday night’s concert.
- Joe Henry was on NPR over the weekend.
- Stream I Draw Slow’s new album at The Bluegrass Situation.
- American Songwriter chose Lynyrd Skynyrd’s “Sweet Home Alabama” as their Lyric of the Week.
- A 2003 concert recording, John Mellencamp Performs Trouble No More Live at Town Hall, will be released on July 8. USA Today premiered Mellencamp’s take on “John the Revelator” this morning.
- Here’s a neat feature on Kelsey Waldon.
- The July issue of Cowboys & Indians includes an article about the country music photo exhibit at the Annenberg Space for Photography in L.A.
- New music videos:
John Fullbright – “Happy”
Nickel Creek – “Hayloft”
Miranda Lambert and Carrie Underwood – “Somethin’ Bad”
Hard Working Americans – “Blackland Farmer”
Trampled By Turtles – “Wild Animals”
Whiskey Myers – “Dogwood”
Randy Houser – “Like a Cowboy”
Tim McGraw and Faith Hill – “Meanwhile Back at Mama’s”
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.