Justin Townes Earle Arrested; Matthew McConaughey to Direct Jamey Johnson Video; Video Tribute to Bob Wills
- Justin Townes Earle took a little detour after last week’s show in Indianapolis: (via Saving Country Music)
[...] there was a misunderstanding at the venue wherein the proprietor decided to dock the band some of their money, and when Earle went to discuss the matter with him, he didn’t take it too kindly. A fracas broke out between the venue folks and the band, leading to assault and battery charges being filed, and Earle’s unscheduled stay in the holding tank.
- My Old Kentucky Blog has more details:
It is no secret that Justin Townes Earle has battled addiction for years, and Thursday in Indianapolis it became blatantly evident that his struggles continue. Thursday night at Radio Radio, Earle insulted (and assaulted) the venue owners and staff, the sold-out audience, and local law enforcement. [...] The night really got ugly when JTE returned to his dressing room, post-set, and started smashing things. Earle caused over $200 worth of property damage. When informed that it would come out of his pay, Earle flew into a rage, assaulting the venue owner and reportedly closed-fist punching the owner’s daughter.
- Big Kenny and his wife, Christiev, adopted a baby boy back in July — Dakota Jefferson Holiday Alphin.
- Country California: Quotable Country – 09/19/10 Edition
- Jamey Johnson chose actor Matthew McConaughey to direct the video for his current single, “Playing the Part.”
- Rory Feek on wife Joey Martin‘s dreams:
“All she ever wanted to be was a singer,” says Feek, ducking into a New York hotel lobby so he can hear over the phone. “When I met her, Sony had signed her and Paul Worley had produced an album on her and it was just about to come out. When we got married it all fell apart. She lost her record deal. They never put a single out and it crushed her. One of the reasons was she had gotten married and they thought she wasn’t marketable.”
Feek notes the irony.
“To see that five years later the thing that caused her to lose her chance, and maybe not have another one, is the thing that makes it special.”
- In an interview with William Wright for the Cleveland Daily Banner, pastor David Beatty recalled his youth and making music with his three cousins: Jerry Lee Lewis, Jimmy Swaggart, and Mickey Gilley.
- Farce the Music: Top 10 Changes the Success of Jamey Johnson’s “The Guitar Song” Will Bring Upon Nashville
02. Martina McBride will attempt to grow a beard, successfully
- GAC plans to broadcast the return of the Grand Ole Opry to the Opry House on Sept. 28 with a live special titled Country Comes Home: An Opry Celebration.
- Jessie James has a new music video for a song titled “Dear John,” which seems to be a very public love letter of sorts to John Mayer. (via That Nashville Sound)
- The newest release from Cracker Barrel is the holiday album Winter Wonderland from Mandy Barnett. (via email)
- Roy “Whitey” Grant, who with the late Arval Hogan had been recognized as the longest-running duet in country music, passed away on Friday at the age of 94.
- The Associated Press’ Michael McCall on the new Billy Currington album Enjoy Yourself:
In the past, Currington had trouble finding an identifiable sound: His previous album’s title, “Little Bit Of Everything,” described his musical style. But with “Enjoy Yourself” he zeroes in on an easy-going soul vibe, a sound that brings out a likable quality in Currington’s Georgia-raised tenor.
- Jim Sibley: I like everything about fall! MLB playoffs, football, end of hot, sticky nights, etc, etc. :-)
- Ron Mullins: Cool nights, smell of autumn and colors, and nice feeling in your heart.
- mike mills: Cool night and hunting
- Paul W Dennis: MLB playoffs and the weather here in Florida finally cooling off a little. Also we get the Palatka Bluegrass Festival …
- Tony Branscomb: Peaceful Quiet Days In The Woods Watching Wildlife Playing.
- jenny patrick: my favorite part of autumn is the smell of a bonfire to roast weiners and marshmallows on .
- jeanie kinman: My favorite part of Autumn is all the festivals with bands playing Bluegrass music..Come on down to Ky Joe Mullins …
- Keith Saterwhite: My favorite part of Autumn are the beautiful colors on the trees, here in the foothills of the Blueridge Mountains.
- phillip Martinez: Thanks Joe, for always the great music.
- Martin DeSimio: Fresh apple cider.