June Mailbag: Is Jamey Johnson Still Alive?
Is Jamey Johnson still alive?
Didn’t he die on the cross for our sins? Oh right, that was Jesus. I get them confused sometimes. — CMW
Jamey Johnson lives forever in the children’s eyes. — Jim
More so than his brand of country music. — Karlie
What does the AP style guide say about alright?
It’s algood. — Andrew Lacy
Is Miranda Lambert and Blake Shelton still together?
Yes, it is not broken. — Jim
How old do you have to be to be on Can You Duet?
At least as old as Naomi Judd’s current pair of false eyelashes — Kelly
What is country music known for?
According to CMT, it’s the B-52’s, Bryan Adams and Def Leppard. — Ken
For being so rock — Kelly
Its frequent appearances after “except” in the sentence “I like all kinds of music…” — CMW
Where do county music listeners live?
In a minivan down by the river. — Andrew Lacy
An idyllic dream world. — Jim
What do country music listener’s expect from a song?
Life affirming stories about small town folks overcoming their mama’s alcoholism by meeting a soldier at church who gives kindly advice by telling a story about lost love at the county fair while sitting on the tailgate of his old pickup and wearing boots and a Johnny Cash t-shirt. (That’s 12/18 on the Farce the Music checklist for those keeping score.) — Andrew Lacy
Unrelenting optimism with a dash of twang. — CMW
…But not too much twang. — Jim
What is the song that Kristian Bush sings alone?
“The Unemployment Line Blues.” — Kelly
Does Taylor Swift sound off pitch?
Did Grizzly Adams have a beard? — Andrew Lacy
Do the tears of Chuck Norris cure cancer? — Jim
Why did Tim McGraw not join the Grand Ole Opry?
Seeing as how Tim is a staunch traditionalist, the recent inductions of Carrie Underwood and Craig Morgan have made him angr–wow, I cant get that out with a straight face. – Kelly
Despite the recent contemporary inductions, the Opry is still a traditional institution and they’re just not quite ready to induct a eunch, considering Faith Hill has half his manhood and Mike Curb the other half. — Brady
Which country star sings sideways?
Lefty Frizzell and Righty McGee. — CMW
How much do country singers pay for songs?
Judging by most of what’s played on radio today, only their souls. — Kelly
Judging by most of what’s played on radio today, way too much. — Jim
What is Todd Snider really like?
I hear that the whole lovable, rambling, peace-loving hippie thing is all a put-on and he’s actually a conniving investment banker from Brooklyn. — CMW
Commie! — Jim
How to feel about sex and power in music videos?
If I tell you how to feel, that will raise a whole other set of sex and power issues. — CMW
I feel good about sex in music videos. Power could also be good, depending on how it is wielded. — Jim
Did George Strait ever serve time in jail?
I think so. He covers “Folsom Prison Blues” in concert and doesn’t seem like a guy who would lie to his fans. — CMW
What is “Out Last Night” about?
Three minutes too long. — Ken
It’s an exploration of the existential quandary presented by the juxtaposition of the innate desire to maximize personal pleasure and moral responsibility. — Jim
Who sings backup on “Loretta Lynn’s Lincoln” with Josh Turner?
Conway Twitty’s El Camino – Andrew Lacy
Who sings “Don’t Make Me Take My Earrings Out?”
Perez Hilton. — Andrew Lacy
Keith Anderson. — Jim
What is the meaning of “Alright” by Darius Rucker?
It’s a celebration of mediocrity, both thematically and musically. — Karlie
Who is Bruce Robison Canadian Healthcare?
Wayne Gretzky. – Jim
- Leeann Ward: Wow! How terrible for Dixie Hall and Tom.
- Ken Morton, Jr.: Another twisted collection of songs to put into the Friday Five Hall of Fame, Juli.
- Arlene: I'd have included "Omie Wise." Doc Watson's is the version I'm familiar with but I think it's been recorded by …
- luckyoldsun: I think the number one country murder ballad is "Frankie and Johnny"--by Jimmie. Also, how about "Delia's Gone" from Harry Belafonte …
- Juli Thanki: Colloquial use of "fantastic" as a synonym for "excellent" dates back to the 1930s. And if it's good enough for …
- Paul W Dennis: I think "Banks of The Ohio", "Miller's Cave" and "It's Nothing to Me" are far creepier than several of the …
- Paul W Dennis: The Hight article is interesting, although I don't know that I would describe it as fantastic, but then I know …
- Dana M: I'm actually excited to hear a new Reba album. As for the Alan Jackson tour, I hope he announces Canadian …
- nm: Agreed. A good job by three very smart women.
- Deremy Jylan: The Hight piece is tremendous reading.