Josh Turner — “Time is Love”
Josh Turner’s deep, rich baritone voice always lends a dose of gravitas to his songs’ subject matter, whether he’s singing about sin on wheels, romantic rolls in the hay or living room dance parties.Not to say he doesn’t tackle – or mis-tackle – the occasional oddball song that, at first glance, strikes too big of a contrast to his weighty vocals. Not even his growl could save songs such as “Trailerhood,” “Everything is Fine” or his newest single “Time is Love.”
The tune, reminiscent of Clay Walker’s deliciously fluffy nineties material minus the winks, doesn’t suffer from any glaring or grating snafus. In fact, the Spanish-flavored guitar breakdown on the song’s middle is an interesting addition to the strands of steel and banjo that float through its verses. Instead, its most frustrating misstep is the carefully polished sheen that strips the delicious edge off Turner’s trademark voice. With all of his American Idol press in the last year on the heels of Turner-bot Scotty McCreery, “Time is Love” sounds like one of the safe choices that often coasts the show’s contestants through the competition.
That being said, “Time is Love” grows on the ears, with its earnestly vague confessions of “Time is love/Gotta run, gotta fly.” But even that simple charm turns out entirely forgettable, drowned under the weight of confusing production layers that seem piled on in an effort to lift up the vocal delivery.
Turner is right on banking on his voice to win fans over, but in the case of “Time is Love,” even it isn’t enough.
- Jack: The Everly Brothers "Song Our Daddy Taught Us" and "Roots" LPs look good.
- Juli Thanki: Indeed, Richie. Leslie Knope is my spirit animal.
- Six String Richie: That Parks & Rec. clip was perfection! Everybody reading this blog should watch it even if they don't watch the …
- Ben Foster: I'm coveting Dolly Parton's "Blue Smoke" 45.
- Barry Mazor: Speculation is free!
- Jack: Taste of Country has a pretty shallow point of view, and this little blurb is exhibit A.
- Leeann Ward: It is admittedly fun to speculate about these things.
- luckyoldsun: I wonder if the key to learning Gong Kwon Yu Sul is to be higher than a kite. lol
- luckyoldsun: Barry, I didn't say or imply that I have superior knowledge about the nominating process or workings--I'm just willing to make …
- CraigR.: After watching Easton Corbin's video I am left wondering where the man who made " I'm A Little Bit More …