Josh Kelley Previews Album with New EP; John Rich Still Mired in Lawsuits; Bonus Track From Marty Stuart
- Come Dec. 14, American Idol runner-up Crystal Bowersox will release her debut album Farmer’s Daughter, but does it stand a chance? Reality Rocks’ Lyndsey Parker says YES — if her label markets her as a country artist. Listen to some live performances at No Depression.
- John Rich‘s latest lawsuit claims that former Nashville Star contestant Jared Ashley and his label owner Chris Sevier, who Rich has been in disputes with since 2005, lodged false accusations against him in an attempt to aid Sevier’s federal case against Rich. (via The Boot)
New releases for the week of November 30, 2010 include:
- The staff at CMT compiled a 10-song list of their favorite Tim McGraw hits.
- Country California: Quotable Country – 11/29/10 Edition
- Barry Mazor covered Asleep at the Wheel‘s 40th anniversary concert earlier this month. Here’s Ray Benson‘s take on the key to the band’s success:
“My best talent, really, is convincing really talented people to join this band, and a lot of people have been in it by now. They were all willing to put up with traveling, low pay—and my personality. I used to think I had to be as demanding a bandleader as James Brown, and some people who left no doubt had me as their reason. But all of them could really play the kind of music we wanted to play. What’s been continuing, through all the changes, has been playing music on the road that’s as American as can be, and is improvisational; that’s the key.”
- Farce the Music found a couple of keepers among some of the singles currently at radio.
- Alison Krauss has a new album slated for February.
- The Boot has an interview with Mandy Barnett about her new Christmas record for Cracker Barrel.
- Country Universe’s Kevin J. Coyne says the new Reba McEntire album, All the Women I Am, would make a pretty good Kellie Pickler album, but for the most part, she didn’t choose a lot of age-appropriate music.
- Songwriter Curly Putman, now 80 years old, released an album (Write ‘Em Sad — Sing ‘Em Lonesome) a few months ago on which he provides his take on a collection of his songs. My Kind of Country’s Occasional Hope gave it a high mark.
- Riders In the Sky walked away with trophies for outstanding entertainer-group of the year, album of the year, collaborative/composite album of the year at last week’s Western Music Association Awards show.
Here’s a bonus track of “Lonesome Whistle Blues” from the recent Marty Stuart album, Ghost Train: The Studio B Sessions.
Stuart also has plans to release a documentary in 2011. Not many details have been given yet, but a short preview can be seen on Vimeo.
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.