Josh Kelley Previews Album with New EP; John Rich Still Mired in Lawsuits; Bonus Track From Marty Stuart
- Come Dec. 14, American Idol runner-up Crystal Bowersox will release her debut album Farmer’s Daughter, but does it stand a chance? Reality Rocks’ Lyndsey Parker says YES — if her label markets her as a country artist. Listen to some live performances at No Depression.
- John Rich‘s latest lawsuit claims that former Nashville Star contestant Jared Ashley and his label owner Chris Sevier, who Rich has been in disputes with since 2005, lodged false accusations against him in an attempt to aid Sevier’s federal case against Rich. (via The Boot)
New releases for the week of November 30, 2010 include:
- The staff at CMT compiled a 10-song list of their favorite Tim McGraw hits.
- Country California: Quotable Country – 11/29/10 Edition
- Barry Mazor covered Asleep at the Wheel‘s 40th anniversary concert earlier this month. Here’s Ray Benson‘s take on the key to the band’s success:
“My best talent, really, is convincing really talented people to join this band, and a lot of people have been in it by now. They were all willing to put up with traveling, low pay—and my personality. I used to think I had to be as demanding a bandleader as James Brown, and some people who left no doubt had me as their reason. But all of them could really play the kind of music we wanted to play. What’s been continuing, through all the changes, has been playing music on the road that’s as American as can be, and is improvisational; that’s the key.”
- Farce the Music found a couple of keepers among some of the singles currently at radio.
- Alison Krauss has a new album slated for February.
- The Boot has an interview with Mandy Barnett about her new Christmas record for Cracker Barrel.
- Country Universe’s Kevin J. Coyne says the new Reba McEntire album, All the Women I Am, would make a pretty good Kellie Pickler album, but for the most part, she didn’t choose a lot of age-appropriate music.
- Songwriter Curly Putman, now 80 years old, released an album (Write ‘Em Sad — Sing ‘Em Lonesome) a few months ago on which he provides his take on a collection of his songs. My Kind of Country’s Occasional Hope gave it a high mark.
- Riders In the Sky walked away with trophies for outstanding entertainer-group of the year, album of the year, collaborative/composite album of the year at last week’s Western Music Association Awards show.
Here’s a bonus track of “Lonesome Whistle Blues” from the recent Marty Stuart album, Ghost Train: The Studio B Sessions.
Stuart also has plans to release a documentary in 2011. Not many details have been given yet, but a short preview can be seen on Vimeo.
- Dave D.: I never expected to see a shout out to the Cameron Family Singers today (or any day, for that matter). …
- nm: Duncan Cooper is not wrong.
- bob: Re Herndon, O'Neal & Griggs touring together, Herndon's "Lies I Told Myself Album" includes a duet with O'Neal, "I Can't". …
- luckyoldsun: Looks like CMT is pulling a "surprise" for its Artists' Choice countdown. They're coming up on #2 but there are …
- Jim Z: " Luke Bryan (Best Country Male Artist), Brantley Gilbert’s Just as I Am (Best Country Album), Carrie Underwood (Best Country …
- luckyoldsun: MH-- "...divisive, dismissive and argumentative." There's a shock. Who'da thunk it.
- MH: Looks like the IBMA is finding out what a lot of us already knew about former & frequent Engine 145 …
- Tom: ...it is almost the year 2015 - ain't it about time we leave people (celebrities included) having the personal relations …
- Paul W Dennis: I had assumed that Herndon was gay after the incident that Lucky Old Sun referenced, but bought the next Herndon …
- Jonathan Pappalardo: For anyone who wants to buy it, the Rosanne Cash 45 is available again. With 1000 copies being created, I …