John Rich Flying Solo On New Album
- In the we-saw-this-one-coming category, John Rich has announced that he will release a solo album in 2008. “I would only do this with Kenny’s blessing,” he said. Rich recorded his first solo record, Underneath The Same Moon, in 1999, but it was not released until 2006.
- The only country star among the first set of performers announced for the Grammy Awards is Carrie Underwood.
- NBC transplant Nashville Star has announced its preliminary audition dates:
Feb 9 – Pittsburgh and Milwaukee
Feb 13 – Charlotte and Kansas City, MO
Feb 17 – Tallahassee and Denver
Feb 21 – New Orleans and Portland
- Music industry analyst Bob Lefsetz created a list of the “Music Industry Power Top Ten,” and coming in at number nine is music blogs:
Music bloggers do it for the love of music. They can be trusted. Profit is secondary. Are blogs the new radio? If not quite, they show a pathway to the future, where it’s about being turned on by love, not hype.
- Trace Adkins isn’t particularly fond of Omarosa, but then again, who is?
- For the low cost of $30 you can have Eleven Hundred Springs lead singer Matt the Cat call your loved ones on Valentine’s Day and serenade them with a love song, and if you’re located in the DFW area you can schedule him to perform the song live in person. That’d score you some major points.
- Save some prayers for Joe Nichols and wife, they lost their baby in the early stages of pregnancy.
- Next Tuesday the non-profit organization Grounded in Music is hosting a silent auction with items like a guitar signed by Willie/Ray Benson/Mel Tillis, Spurs Tickets, ACL fest tickets, winery tours and more. “All proceeds from this event will be used to purchase musical instruments for under-privileged youth, provide education in musicianship, teach music theory, as well as offer music-related opportunities outside of performance.”
- Michael D. Ayers explains why rock critics–notorious haters of country music–love Miranda Lambert. (via Link Ray at the CMT Blog)
- Our favorite Rascal Flatts fan, Trisha from Buffalo, let us know that the band is going international with their first tour to the UK at the end of this month. Thanks for the news, Trisha! It should also be duly noted that I’m writing this update via the bathroom; I love technology.
- Iain Ellis touches on different aspects of Kinky Friedman’s career as blacksheep country artist and his often offensive use of satire.
- Alison Bonaguro says tattoos are the ultimate symbol of a fans passion for their favorite artist, she says “Getting a tattoo hurts more than anything I’ve ever done, childbirth included.” How many of you are inked with an artist related body art?
- The Kingston Trio is traditionally thought of as a folk band, but in 1959 they won the first Grammy for Best Country and Western Performance, the only country-specific Grammy award at the time, for “Tom Dooley”. Released the same year, albeit on a different album, was a tune by the name of “M.T.A”. The song is about the practice of charging exit fares for riders of the Metropolitan Transit Authority in Boston and a man named Charlie who couldn’t pay the nickel fee. He remained imprisoned on the train, never to return. What a gloomy existence, huh? Luckily, Roger wrote in a couple of days ago to inform us about a sequel performed by The Front Porch Country Band. Turns out Charlie was discovered. Find out if he ever made it off the train…
- Stuart Munro: Is it just me...or does the idea of St. Paul and the Broken Bones being an Americana act really strain …
- Sam G.: Loki Is playing Hank Williams in a new movie, and Thor bought the rights to a book about him. I …
- Roger: Fabulous interview and fantastic new music that I will listen to over and over again.
- Applejack: It's not just you, Andrew L. I just listened to the clips on Amazon, and the autotune effect is terrible.
- Andrew L.: Is it just me or does Strait sound horribly autotuned on the clips for the new live album? I can't …
- Juli Thanki: You'll get to hear it pretty soon: The Wall Street Journal is going to stream the album on their website …
- Leeann Ward: Way to go to David Cantwell for getting a name drop! Great interview, Juli! Womack's new album is awesome! I've not always …
- Jonathan Pappalardo: Great interview as always, Juli! The new album is fantastic. "Same Kind of Different" is my favorite cut although "Fly" is …
- Dave D.: Good interview. Looking forward to the new record, and particularly interested in hearing her version of Brennen Leigh's "Sleeping with …
- nm: I guess it's not surprising that a singer who gets her songs all over the place, the way Womack does, …