John Rich Booted From Cafe; New Release List; Performers Added to CMT Awards
- John Rich was booted from Cafe Coco early this morning after a server asked him to surrender his beer during a Roger Miller song.
…when the server went to grab the beer, John snatched it up first and threw it over the fence into the street — right in front of the police sergeant. You can guess what happened next.
- MusicRow’s Sarah Skates has a quick recap of the Dateline NBC special on Taylor Swift.
New releases for the week of June 2, 2009 include:
As always, feel free to chime in with any I might have missed.
- Lady Antebellum, Kellie Pickler and Darius Rucker have been added to the performance lineup for the 2009 CMT Music Awards, which takes place June 16.
- To celebrate the re-release of Adam Hood‘s (MySpace) album Different Groove, Saguaro Road Records has made the deluxe edition of “Buzzes Like Neon” available as a free download.
- The Country Music Hall of Fame will open Carrie Underwood: All-American Girl, a new spotlight exhibit featuring the dress Underwood wore at the 2009 Academy of Country Music Awards, on June 11.
- Hickory Wind’s Hal Bogerd reviewed a recent Todd Snider show at Cat’s Cradle in North Carolina. (MySpace)
- Austin Music Source’s Michael Corcoran calls Roadhouse Sun, the new album from Ryan Bingham (MySpace), movin’ music and grades it an A-. ($3.99 on Amazon)
- Listen to a 2006 set from Rhonda Vincent & The Rage on Mountain Stage. She’ll be releasing her new album Destination Life on June 16. (MySpace)
- Country Mike reviewed performances from a recent Kevin Fowler (MySpace) and Mark McKinney (MySpace) show at Sam Houston Race Park in Houston.
- Speaking of Mark McKinney, Farce the Music published a .99 Review of his song “Middle America” and the results were, uh, middling at best.
- George Strait played it straight on the Comcast Center stage on Saturday.
- One Flew South (MySpace) is scheduled to kick off this year’s CMA Music Fest daytime riverfront shows, followed by a 45-minute set by Gretchen Wilson. Music City TV has the schedule for the remainder of the riverfront shows.
- Miranda Lambert’s second annual “Cause for the Paws” event raised $120,000.
- Cia Cherryholmes (MySpace) tried a few different looks and sent the results to The Bluegrass Blog.
- The critically acclaimed Jamey Johnson album That Lonesome Song is on sale for $5 at Amazon and My Kind of Country dug up a bargain on Tanya Tucker‘s Greatest Hits for $4.58.
- Paul W Dennis: Tom T & Dixie Hall are good people and I wish them all the best through this difficult time
- Paul W Dennis: Actually , it is not. We have so thoroughly debased our language that it is no longer possible to praise …
- Leeann Ward: Sheesh, Paul, that's a random/strange dig!
- Jack Williams: After reading that New Yorker article, I canceled my pre-order of the Basement Tapes box set. I love Bob …
- Leeann Ward: Wow! How terrible for Dixie Hall and Tom.
- Ken Morton, Jr.: Another twisted collection of songs to put into the Friday Five Hall of Fame, Juli.
- Arlene: I'd have included "Omie Wise." Doc Watson's is the version I'm familiar with but I think it's been recorded by …
- luckyoldsun: I think the number one country murder ballad is "Frankie and Johnny"--by Jimmie. Also, how about "Delia's Gone" from Harry Belafonte …
- Juli Thanki: Colloquial use of "fantastic" as a synonym for "excellent" dates back to the 1930s. And if it's good enough for …
- Paul W Dennis: I think "Banks of The Ohio", "Miller's Cave" and "It's Nothing to Me" are far creepier than several of the …