John Rich Blasts ‘Nashville Star’ and Contestants
- Remember that whole Nashville Star thing? John Rich is trying to distance himself from his involvement in the show.
“I wouldn’t touch ‘Nashville Star’ with a 40-foot pole,” he told The Tennessean. “NBC completely bastardized what country music is about. I thought this was really going to represent country music, put us on a new level. Now, I will tell you, two artists … you will hear from are Melissa Lawson and Gabe Garcia. Those two acts were the saving graces of that show.”
- Vince Gill, Amy Grant, Hal Ketchum and Jamie O’Neal are playing at the Country Music Hall of Fame tonight as part of the The Stars Go Blue fundraiser for colon cancer.
- Sarah Rodman on Martina McBride‘s new album, Shine: “Hope may be in short supply of late, but on “Shine,” it springs eternal.”
- The lineup for the concert honoring George Strait as the ACM artist of the decade just got a little bit bigger. Brooks & Dunn, Alan Jackson, Jamie Foxx, Miranda Lambert, Montgomery Gentry, LeAnn Rimes, Blake Shelton, Lee Ann Womack, John Rich and Jack Ingram will join the previously announced guests on April 6 to record George Strait: ACM Artist of the Decade All Star Concert.
- Ted Jarrett, a country music writer, producer and talent scout among other things, passed away on Saturday from liver failure. He was 83. A couple of his songs include the Webb Pierce 1955 No. 1 country hit “Love, Love, Love” and “You Can Make It If You Try.”
- Brooks & Dunn may have had a bigger audience in Houston on Saturday night, playing the rodeo and all, but Scott Moore says Pam Tillis charmed the intimate audience at the Dosey Doe in the Woodlands with her stories, sharp wit and soulful vocals.
- Shawn Sahm didn’t want the tenth anniversary of his dad’s passing to go by without being acknowledged, which led to today’s release of Keep Your Soul: A Tribute to Doug Sahm. However, Augie Meyers, who was part of the Texas Tornados with Sahm, thinks the end product has its shortcomings.
“The album is good,” said Augie Meyers, one of the creators of the Sir Douglas Quintet sound. “I played on a couple of tracks. But there are three or four guys on it that I think Doug didn’t even know. I think there should have been more of Doug’s compadres, people Doug knew. I don’t think the album will help the legacy because it’s too different. I just think it could have been done better.”
- Funeral services were held on Saturday for pedal steel guitarist William Donald “Bill” Johnson, who played for artists such as Red Sovine, George Jones and Marty Robbins. His song “A Wound Time Can’t Erase” (Listen: George Jones, Johnny Cash, Loretta Lynn) was recorded by more than 150 artists.
Album releases for the week of March 24, 2009 include:
Special Consensus – Signs
As always, feel free to leave a comment letting me know of any I overlooked.
- Listen to the new Kenny Chesney single, “Out Last Night,” which will appear on the May 19th release of Greatest Hits: Volume 2.
- Britain’s Lily Allen has been described as a pop sensation, but her latest video for “Not Fair,” in which she sings about her sexual frustrations, pays major homage to country music variety shows like the Porter Wagoner Show; she even has Wagoner introduce her to the stage.
- Dan Rosensweig, a newly hired executive in charge of the video game division that handles Guitar Hero, responded to a question about the lack of country music in the popular video game by saying, “there will be increased content of all kinds.” Take that as you will.
- The folks at My Kind of Country are giving away two copies of Eric Church‘s new album, Carolina.
Watch the new video for Ridley Bent‘s “Arlington” from the album Buckles and Boots. Twang Nation rated the album a 4.5 when it was released.
- Paige: Oh damn. :( I never commented here and I haven't been listening to any music at all since Thanksgiving (it …
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …