John Michael Montgomery Will Cover Outlaw Hits For New Album
- Now that John Michael Montgomery has the freedom that comes with owning his own record label, he plans to cut an album of his favorite Outlaw hits from the ’70s and early ’80s. He’s working with Time Life on the project, which he plans to record late summer/early fall.
- Dateline NBC is devoting an entire hour to Taylor Swift on May 31.
- In his latest Nashville Skyline column, Chet Flippo draws parallels between the fledgling music and newspaper industries: “Both depend on the public to pay their way, and both have been unashamedly subservient with the establishments they should not be serving.”
- The Flatlanders‘ interview and performances at Austin’s KUT Studios is the most recent featured Favorite Session, a series where public radio hosts from around the country present their favorite studio sessions, on NPR.
- Austin Powell wrote two pieces in memoriam of Stephen Bruton and Poodie Locke.
- Jim Malec has two reviews in the latest issue of American Songwriter. He gave Ryan Bingham‘s new disc Roadhouse Sun four stars and The Flatlanders‘ Hills and Valleys two and a half, calling the latter, “more inconsequential than iconic.”
- Former Austin writer and musician Joel Weickgenant reviewed performances of Carolyn Wonderland and Dale Watson in Amsterdam, where he says the two musicians have a small but involved, and appreciative, fan base.
- Carrie Underwood, Taylor Swift and Julianne Hough each made appearances on Maxim‘s Hot 100 list while Trace Adkins, Dierks Bentley and Luke Bryan topped People‘s list of country studs.
- With a host of family health issues, Slaid Cleaves admits that death has been on his mind the past few years. He told Austin360’s Brad Buchholz that he deals with mortality by taking a jog through the cemetery bordering his house. It’s that same cemetery where he documented epitaphs and borrowed words for the songs on his latest album, Everything You Love Will Be Taken Away… .
- The Austin Chronicle‘s Jim Caligiuri gave Everything You Love Will Be Taken Away… four stars.
- In an interview with All Things Considered‘s Melissa Block, Steve Earle recalled telling Townes Van Zandt about the birth of his oldest son:
“Yeah, I remember when Justin was born, I called Townes, and I said, ‘Well, it’s a boy, and his name’s Justin Townes,’ ” Earle says. “He goes, ‘Is that after anybody in my family?'”
- That’s a lot of songs about rain.
- Although Josh Grider doesn’t yet have a name for his new album, which he recently recorded, he says it’s much bigger (sonically) than what he expected it to be and compares it to ogres and onions. And not because it stinks or makes you cry. Look for a late summer/early fall release.
- It’s country day at Farce the Music and featured among the newest batch of honest album covers are Reba McEntire, Jack Ingram and Drew Kennedy (and it would be remiss of me if I didn’t mention he’s currently on The 9513-sponsored New American Voices Tour with Rodney Hayden).
- Tom: ...it is almost the year 2015 - ain't it about time we leave people (celebrities included) having the personal relations …
- Paul W Dennis: I had assumed that Herndon was gay after the incident that Lucky Old Sun referenced, but bought the next Herndon …
- Jonathan Pappalardo: For anyone who wants to buy it, the Rosanne Cash 45 is available again. With 1000 copies being created, I …
- luckyoldsun: It seemed that the old morals arrest incident really did Herndon in. He was a pretty big country star before …
- CraigR.: Hopefully in the future being gay or straight won't matter at all. And then people won't have to hide their …
- Bruce: Jim has a remarkable voice for his age. Heck, for any age.
- bob: Good luck to Herndon and Gilman. I've seen Herndon in concert. While I liked his 90's material better, he's still …
- Leeann Ward: It was Brad Paisley and its on his Christmas album.
- luckyoldsun: I seem to recall hearing a recording of the Christmas song "Walking in the Winter Wonderland" where the line "In …
- Leeann Ward: For a slow new Christmas music year, the announcement of the Jamey Johnson Christmas EP and the Christmas tracks by …