John Michael Montgomery Will Cover Outlaw Hits For New Album
- Now that John Michael Montgomery has the freedom that comes with owning his own record label, he plans to cut an album of his favorite Outlaw hits from the ’70s and early ’80s. He’s working with Time Life on the project, which he plans to record late summer/early fall.
- Dateline NBC is devoting an entire hour to Taylor Swift on May 31.
- In his latest Nashville Skyline column, Chet Flippo draws parallels between the fledgling music and newspaper industries: “Both depend on the public to pay their way, and both have been unashamedly subservient with the establishments they should not be serving.”
- The Flatlanders‘ interview and performances at Austin’s KUT Studios is the most recent featured Favorite Session, a series where public radio hosts from around the country present their favorite studio sessions, on NPR.
- Austin Powell wrote two pieces in memoriam of Stephen Bruton and Poodie Locke.
- Jim Malec has two reviews in the latest issue of American Songwriter. He gave Ryan Bingham‘s new disc Roadhouse Sun four stars and The Flatlanders‘ Hills and Valleys two and a half, calling the latter, “more inconsequential than iconic.”
- Former Austin writer and musician Joel Weickgenant reviewed performances of Carolyn Wonderland and Dale Watson in Amsterdam, where he says the two musicians have a small but involved, and appreciative, fan base.
- Carrie Underwood, Taylor Swift and Julianne Hough each made appearances on Maxim‘s Hot 100 list while Trace Adkins, Dierks Bentley and Luke Bryan topped People‘s list of country studs.
- With a host of family health issues, Slaid Cleaves admits that death has been on his mind the past few years. He told Austin360’s Brad Buchholz that he deals with mortality by taking a jog through the cemetery bordering his house. It’s that same cemetery where he documented epitaphs and borrowed words for the songs on his latest album, Everything You Love Will Be Taken Away… .
- The Austin Chronicle‘s Jim Caligiuri gave Everything You Love Will Be Taken Away… four stars.
- In an interview with All Things Considered‘s Melissa Block, Steve Earle recalled telling Townes Van Zandt about the birth of his oldest son:
“Yeah, I remember when Justin was born, I called Townes, and I said, ‘Well, it’s a boy, and his name’s Justin Townes,’ ” Earle says. “He goes, ‘Is that after anybody in my family?'”
- That’s a lot of songs about rain.
- Although Josh Grider doesn’t yet have a name for his new album, which he recently recorded, he says it’s much bigger (sonically) than what he expected it to be and compares it to ogres and onions. And not because it stinks or makes you cry. Look for a late summer/early fall release.
- It’s country day at Farce the Music and featured among the newest batch of honest album covers are Reba McEntire, Jack Ingram and Drew Kennedy (and it would be remiss of me if I didn’t mention he’s currently on The 9513-sponsored New American Voices Tour with Rodney Hayden).
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.