John Cowan Signs with Compass; PBS to Air Muscle Shoals Documentary; New Album Releases
- Kelly Willis and Bruce Robison will release their second duets album, Our Year, on May 27. The 10-song record will include their fantastic version of “Harper Valley P.T.A.” as well as a take on “I’ll Go to My Grave Loving You.”
- John Cowan has signed with Compass Records; his next album will be released early this summer.
- There’s an Ethan Johns EP available for download on NoiseTrade.
- Stream Nickel Creek’s A Dotted Line.
- Looking Into You: A Tribute to Jackson Browne is streaming at USAToday.com. The record features performances by Lyle Lovett, Bonnie Raitt, and lots more.
- Scott H. Biram is American Songwriter’s Writer of the Week.
- NPR broadcast a piece on Johnny Cash’s Out Among the Stars.
- Here’s The Band Perry’s version of “Grey Seal” from the deluxe, 40th anniversary edition of Elton John’s Goodbye Yellow Brick Road. It’s…not good.
- On Saturday, CMT.com is going to stream the inaugural iHeartRadio Country Festival, which will include performances by Florida Georgia Line, Carrie Underwood, Eric Church and many more.
- On April 21, PBS will premiere the documentary Muscle Shoals.
- Henry Carrigan interviewed Alan Paul about his new book, One Way Out: The Inside History of The Allman Brothers Band.
- Billie Joe Armstrong and Norah Jones released a video for their version of “Kentucky” from last year’s Everly Brothers tribute, Foreverly.
- The Tillers played “Old Westside” for CMT Edge.
- Jerrod Niemann discusses his “potentially polarizing” new album, High Noon, in this Rolling Stone article.
- Time to see which country singer has the most dedicated/insane fanbase: voting has begun for the ACM Entertainer of the Year and New Artist of the Year awards.
- Buddy Miller, Lee Ann Womack, Reba McEntire, Ronnie Milsap, and Kacey Musgraves will appear at the next “We’re All 4 the Hall” benefit, which is scheduled for May 6 at Nashville’s Bridgestone Arena.
- Jan Howard has had a wonderful career and a full life, but getting a hole-in-one on the golf course still eludes her.
- Sturgill Simpson is featured in the April/May issue of Garden and Gun.
- Charlie Daniels talks about his forthcoming Bob Dylan tribute album in this interview with Chuck Dauphin.
- Alastair McKay of Out.com takes a look at “the first openly gay country album”: Lavender Country’s eponymous 1973 record.
- Nu-Blu released a music video for “Without a Kiss.”
- This week’s album releases (thank you for helping to support Engine 145 by purchasing your music through our affiliate links):
Merle Haggard – Okie from Muskogee: 45th Anniversary Edition (paired with live album The Fightin’ Side of Me)
Johnny Cash – Out Among the Stars
Special Consensus – Country Boy: A Bluegrass Tribute to John Denver
Terry Waldo – The Soul of Ragtime
Robby Hecht – Robby Hecht
Korby Lenker – Korby Lenker
Feller and Hill – Here Come Feller and Hill…Again!
Miss Shevaughn & Yuma Wray – Lean Into the Wind
Matt Fowler – Beginning
Sarah Davidson – Sarah Davidson
Simone Felice – Strangers
Jerrod Niemann – High Noon
Antigone Rising – Whiskey & Wine, Vol. 1
Vernon Dixon – Corn Whiskey
Lavender Country – Lavender Country
Roy Orbison – Laminar Flow
Elton John – Goodbye Yellow Brick Road (this 40th anniversary deluxe edition also features covers by Zac Brown Band, Hunter Hayes, and more)
- A DVD:
- bob: @Leeann - Don Schlitz's wife Stacy is also a good singer. At some of his shows, she'll sing a song …
- Leeann: It's hardly on topic, but Don Schlitz's wife is an actual lawyer.
- Erik North: I like that list of country songs that Laura Cantrell drew up for people who are suspicious of the genre. …
- Leeann: Thank you for linking to my discussion. To clarify, they're not so much my favorite Dad songs, but rather, songs …
- Jack: "I got turned off a not so new guy’s music after he started recording songs like “Get Drunk and Be …
- A.B.: I think I understand why the eating disorder facility wants to be located there besides it being the former Cash …
- Janice Brooks: Hopes somebody gets those memos about drinking songs. Meanwhile I'm feeling a lot of slots with Bluegrass.
- Leeann: Great news about Ricky Skaggs and Sharon White's duet album! Absolutely appalling about the Keith Urban concert!! Both the rape and …
- bob: I found the Billboard article about country music radio needing an alcohol intervention interesting. Songwriter Adam Wright is quoted as …
- Matt: Definitely agree with C.M. about Maddie & Tae. Certainly not the tidal wave of change some claimed it is or …