John Cowan Signs with Compass; PBS to Air Muscle Shoals Documentary; New Album Releases
- Kelly Willis and Bruce Robison will release their second duets album, Our Year, on May 27. The 10-song record will include their fantastic version of “Harper Valley P.T.A.” as well as a take on “I’ll Go to My Grave Loving You.”
- John Cowan has signed with Compass Records; his next album will be released early this summer.
- There’s an Ethan Johns EP available for download on NoiseTrade.
- Stream Nickel Creek’s A Dotted Line.
- Looking Into You: A Tribute to Jackson Browne is streaming at USAToday.com. The record features performances by Lyle Lovett, Bonnie Raitt, and lots more.
- Scott H. Biram is American Songwriter’s Writer of the Week.
- NPR broadcast a piece on Johnny Cash’s Out Among the Stars.
- Here’s The Band Perry’s version of “Grey Seal” from the deluxe, 40th anniversary edition of Elton John’s Goodbye Yellow Brick Road. It’s…not good.
- On Saturday, CMT.com is going to stream the inaugural iHeartRadio Country Festival, which will include performances by Florida Georgia Line, Carrie Underwood, Eric Church and many more.
- On April 21, PBS will premiere the documentary Muscle Shoals.
- Henry Carrigan interviewed Alan Paul about his new book, One Way Out: The Inside History of The Allman Brothers Band.
- Billie Joe Armstrong and Norah Jones released a video for their version of “Kentucky” from last year’s Everly Brothers tribute, Foreverly.
- The Tillers played “Old Westside” for CMT Edge.
- Jerrod Niemann discusses his “potentially polarizing” new album, High Noon, in this Rolling Stone article.
- Time to see which country singer has the most dedicated/insane fanbase: voting has begun for the ACM Entertainer of the Year and New Artist of the Year awards.
- Buddy Miller, Lee Ann Womack, Reba McEntire, Ronnie Milsap, and Kacey Musgraves will appear at the next “We’re All 4 the Hall” benefit, which is scheduled for May 6 at Nashville’s Bridgestone Arena.
- Jan Howard has had a wonderful career and a full life, but getting a hole-in-one on the golf course still eludes her.
- Sturgill Simpson is featured in the April/May issue of Garden and Gun.
- Charlie Daniels talks about his forthcoming Bob Dylan tribute album in this interview with Chuck Dauphin.
- Alastair McKay of Out.com takes a look at “the first openly gay country album”: Lavender Country’s eponymous 1973 record.
- Nu-Blu released a music video for “Without a Kiss.”
- This week’s album releases (thank you for helping to support Engine 145 by purchasing your music through our affiliate links):
Merle Haggard – Okie from Muskogee: 45th Anniversary Edition (paired with live album The Fightin’ Side of Me)
Johnny Cash – Out Among the Stars
Special Consensus – Country Boy: A Bluegrass Tribute to John Denver
Terry Waldo – The Soul of Ragtime
Robby Hecht – Robby Hecht
Korby Lenker – Korby Lenker
Feller and Hill – Here Come Feller and Hill…Again!
Miss Shevaughn & Yuma Wray – Lean Into the Wind
Matt Fowler – Beginning
Sarah Davidson – Sarah Davidson
Simone Felice – Strangers
Jerrod Niemann – High Noon
Antigone Rising – Whiskey & Wine, Vol. 1
Vernon Dixon – Corn Whiskey
Lavender Country – Lavender Country
Roy Orbison – Laminar Flow
Elton John – Goodbye Yellow Brick Road (this 40th anniversary deluxe edition also features covers by Zac Brown Band, Hunter Hayes, and more)
- A DVD:
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.