Joe Nichols Video Premiere; Free MP3s From Miss Leslie and James McMurtry
- The Boot has the exclusive video premiere of Joe Nichol‘s new song “An Old Friend of Mine” along with a brief Q&A in which Nichols discloses his feelings about the song and video.
- Robert Earl Keen discussed laziness, labels, and his new record in an interview with The Boot’s Beville Darden. You can watch Keen talk about the album some more in a video on Amazon.
- Free Download: Miss Leslie revealed the inspiration behind her new song “Wrong Is What I Do Best” in her latest blog post and linked to a free mp3.
- Paste magazine lists nine reasons to love Miranda Lambert.
- The Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum’s All for the Hall Los Angeles benefit featuring Vince Gill, Emmylou Harris, Dwight Yoakam, Melissa Etheridge, and host Chris Isaak will take place tomorrow.
- The Bluegrass Blog posted a video interview with Del McCoury at the IBMA Awards about his forthcoming album. McCoury also recently announced that a Board of Directors has been created for McCoury Music.
- Daron Norwood, a country singer who released two albums in the ’90s, publicly apologized following uproar about his behavior during a speech to high school students on Sept. 22.
Attendees told the station that he spent an hour and 45 minutes shouting at students and faculty, using inappropriate language, shooting basketball and playing music while barely addressing the subject of drug abuse. A fire alarm was finally pulled in order to end the assembly, and police were called to make him leave the school.
- Peter Cooper traces the roots of the IBMA Awards in an article for The Tennessean. The 20th annual awards show will be held tomorrow night at the Ryman.
- Country Weekly visited the vaults to bring back a 2002 interview with Little Big Town just before the band had released its debut album.
- Virginia Tech acquired a collection of memorabilia related to the Carter Family, Johnny Cash and other musicians of the Carter and Cash families.
The material includes a collection of Carter Family sheet music with a biography written in 1980 by Johnny Cash.
Other items include Maybelle Carter’s hunting and fishing license, programs from performances and festivals, photographs, and newspaper and magazine articles.
- A Truer Sound claims the live version of “Silver Wings” from Merle Haggard‘s Okie From Muskogee album is the definitive version. Check out the included mp3 and decide for yourself.
- Miranda Lambert and Patty Loveless earned high marks for their latest albums, Revolution and Mountain Soul II, from PopMatters.
- Juli Thanki and My Kind of Country’s Razor X have good things to say about the new Patty Loveless record as well.
- Country Haiku:
I hope the circle
Will never be unbroken
Then it’d be a C
- Listen to The Greencards perform tracks the group’s most recent album, Fascination, on Mountain Stage.
- Rosanne Cash on her connection with today’s country music:
I don’t listen to country radio, but I often hear things that I think are fun and exciting and good. I don’t know who a lot of the young people are or what they sound like, but the other day I was flipping through the channels and I saw Taylor Swift. I’d heard so much about her, she’s sold millions and millions of records, but I’d never heard her sing. I saw her on a George Strait tribute and I thought, “Wow, this little girl is really good, she’s really got something.” That’s always exciting, when you see somebody who is so young and you can see that spark in them.
- TheNest.com is giving away five pairs of tickets for Miranda Lambert‘s fall/winter tour.
- Mike W: Really liking the new Ryan Bingham song, his last album really didnt do much for me, but this new song …
- nm: Oh, the old Sutler. The first time I visited Nashville, I went to a New Year's Eve show there: Lonesome …
- Tom: ...another "favorite child question". then again, what would the genre be without all the drama it's got to deal with. …
- luckyoldsun: Dwight's had so many great songs. From memory, I'd have to name "Bakersfield" with Buck Owens, "Guitars, Cadillacs," "Nothing" and …
- Scooter: Thanks Jonathon. Downloaded "Last Chance for a thousand years" and love it. Was unaware of that album.
- Donald: The correct answer is of course, "Bury Me."
- Leeann Ward: As far as I know, I have all of Dwight's albums. It's truly impossible to choose a favorite song, but …
- Michael: I wonder if Kasey Chambers will be visiting Dr. Gwen Korovin for treatment of her vocal cords...
- Dave D.: Just about any song off of Dwight's first three albums would qualify as a favorite; forced to pick one I'd …
- Jack Williams: No. Not Owner of a Lonely Heart. I was hoping for better when I saw the article title …