Joe Nichols Video Premiere; Free MP3s From Miss Leslie and James McMurtry
- The Boot has the exclusive video premiere of Joe Nichol‘s new song “An Old Friend of Mine” along with a brief Q&A in which Nichols discloses his feelings about the song and video.
- Robert Earl Keen discussed laziness, labels, and his new record in an interview with The Boot’s Beville Darden. You can watch Keen talk about the album some more in a video on Amazon.
- Free Download: Miss Leslie revealed the inspiration behind her new song “Wrong Is What I Do Best” in her latest blog post and linked to a free mp3.
- Paste magazine lists nine reasons to love Miranda Lambert.
- The Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum’s All for the Hall Los Angeles benefit featuring Vince Gill, Emmylou Harris, Dwight Yoakam, Melissa Etheridge, and host Chris Isaak will take place tomorrow.
- The Bluegrass Blog posted a video interview with Del McCoury at the IBMA Awards about his forthcoming album. McCoury also recently announced that a Board of Directors has been created for McCoury Music.
- Daron Norwood, a country singer who released two albums in the ’90s, publicly apologized following uproar about his behavior during a speech to high school students on Sept. 22.
Attendees told the station that he spent an hour and 45 minutes shouting at students and faculty, using inappropriate language, shooting basketball and playing music while barely addressing the subject of drug abuse. A fire alarm was finally pulled in order to end the assembly, and police were called to make him leave the school.
- Peter Cooper traces the roots of the IBMA Awards in an article for The Tennessean. The 20th annual awards show will be held tomorrow night at the Ryman.
- Country Weekly visited the vaults to bring back a 2002 interview with Little Big Town just before the band had released its debut album.
- Virginia Tech acquired a collection of memorabilia related to the Carter Family, Johnny Cash and other musicians of the Carter and Cash families.
The material includes a collection of Carter Family sheet music with a biography written in 1980 by Johnny Cash.
Other items include Maybelle Carter’s hunting and fishing license, programs from performances and festivals, photographs, and newspaper and magazine articles.
- A Truer Sound claims the live version of “Silver Wings” from Merle Haggard‘s Okie From Muskogee album is the definitive version. Check out the included mp3 and decide for yourself.
- Miranda Lambert and Patty Loveless earned high marks for their latest albums, Revolution and Mountain Soul II, from PopMatters.
- Juli Thanki and My Kind of Country’s Razor X have good things to say about the new Patty Loveless record as well.
- Country Haiku:
I hope the circle
Will never be unbroken
Then it’d be a C
- Listen to The Greencards perform tracks the group’s most recent album, Fascination, on Mountain Stage.
- Rosanne Cash on her connection with today’s country music:
I don’t listen to country radio, but I often hear things that I think are fun and exciting and good. I don’t know who a lot of the young people are or what they sound like, but the other day I was flipping through the channels and I saw Taylor Swift. I’d heard so much about her, she’s sold millions and millions of records, but I’d never heard her sing. I saw her on a George Strait tribute and I thought, “Wow, this little girl is really good, she’s really got something.” That’s always exciting, when you see somebody who is so young and you can see that spark in them.
- TheNest.com is giving away five pairs of tickets for Miranda Lambert‘s fall/winter tour.
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.