Joe Nichols – “It Ain’t No Crime”
Universal South is promoting “It Ain’t No Crime” as “Joe Nichols as you’ve never heard him before.” Actually, it’s exactly what we’ve been hearing from Joe Nichols all along, and it’s becoming tiresome. As much as I like traditionalists, I’m close to writing off Nichols. Joe Nichols is one of the very best vocalists on the radio, and anyone who doubts that he’s a great country singer hasn’t heard Nichols and Rhonda Vincent sing “Cash on the Barrelhead” on the Louvin Brothers tribute album or Nichols’ Grand Ole Opry performance of “Bartender Blues.” I don’t expect Nichols’ own single releases to be songs of commensurate quality, but I’ve been waiting five years for Nichols to release a string of meaningful material and he’s disappointed me.
“Tequila Makes Her Clothes Fall Off” and “Size Matters” made me smile, but you can’t build a career on such novelty songs. Nichols can’t sing about heartbreak without resorting to kitsch (“Brokenheartsville,” “She Only Smokes When She Drinks”) and his recent attempt at sentiment (“I’ll Wait For You”) was a pining retread of a three-verse cliché that suffered the ignominy of being performed at Anna Nicole Smith’s funeral.
So “It Ain’t No Crime” is really just more of the same. It sounds good and is performed well but it’ll be forgotten just as soon as it lands in the top ten. Nichols is fast becoming a study in “how to succeed in country music without really trying.”
- SunsetPark: As a Pennsylvanian to this day, thanks for the list. I haven't heard the Quecreek song and so can't …
- Paul W Dennis: I would urge readers to check out the Billy Edd Wheeler salute on October 18, 2014. Billy Edd Wheeler is …
- Leeann Ward: I'm really liking Pink's folk duo song! I'm looking forward to the album!
- Donald: LOS, you made me giggle. Thank you.
- luckyoldsun: An in related news, an E.P.A. inspector is preparing to slap the cuffs on Nancy Jones tomorrow.
- luckyoldsun: Looks like old Lynn is not done saying "I beg your pardon..."
- luckyoldsun: And I hear that Pretty Boy Floyd wasn't exactly the gentleman eulogized by Woody Guthrie (and that he didn't set …
- Ken Morton, Jr.: Jeremy, I wish you the very best of luck with the release. Your moderator pick is a fine one.
- Jeremy Dylan: That FTM playlist is a grand way to spend an afternoon. SHAMELESS PLUG Btw, any Engine145 readers in Nashville on Monday night, …
- David Cantwell: Amen, Brother Barry.