Joe Diffie Delays Bluegrass Album; Blake Shelton Eyes Opry; Dierks Bentley Announces Next Single
- Joe Diffie‘s new album, Homecoming: The Bluegrass Album, was originally scheduled to be released later this month, but has now been pushed back to Oct. 26.
- Farce the Music’s August edition of parodied album covers features multiple appearances from Craig Morgan.
- In his chat with ESPN yesterday, Blake Shelton named his biggest musical influence, explained why he’ll never have his own hunting show, and revealed who is the better shot between himself and Miranda.
You cuss like a sailor… Who’s your influence?
Sam Kenison was a great cusser as was George Carlin, but my favorite cusser of all time Martina McBride.
- “Depression,” the first single from Ryan Bingham‘s forthcoming album, is available for purchase at digital outlets. (Amazon | iTunes)
- Come Oct. 12, Whitey Morgan & The 78‘s will followup their Honky Tonks and Cheap Motels album with a self-titled debut on Bloodshot Records. (via Saving Country Music)
- A motorcycle autographed by Taylor Swift, Tim McGraw, Dolly Parton, and other country stars was stolen earlier this week. The donated cycle was intended to be auctioned to benefit breast cancer research and prevention.
- If Gary Allan and his gang ever grow up, they want to be just like Brooks & Dunn.
- Brandon Rhyder took to his blog to address rumors that he had been fired from his booking agency and clear up any confusion behind the departure of two band members.
- On Monday night, the Desert Rose Band played to an audience riddled with big names at Nashville’s Belcourt Theater. Peter Cooper has the details:
[…] the Desert Rose Band’s reunion concert was much more about renewal than replication. Enlivened by guest visits from Emmylou Harris and Brad Paisley, the Desert Rose Band’s original lineup presented a reunion show that existed fully in the moment, bolstered, not shackled, by memory.
- Although it hasn’t been confirmed, an email we received suggests that Gene Watson may be the only traditional artist nominated on both the ACM and CMA ballots this year. He didn’t make it to the final list for the ACMs, and may not make it to the final five for the CMAs either, but he’s currently listed under Musical Event of the Year for his duet with Rhonda Vincent on the song “Staying Together.”
The next single from Dierks Bentley‘s Up On the Ridge album will be “Draw Me A Map,” which features harmony vocals from Alison Krauss.
- For week 40 of his Nashville or Bust column, The A.V. Club’s Nathan Rabin covered the late, great Townes Van Zandt.
- Kenny Chesney collaborated with George Jones and Grace Potter for his forthcoming album, Hemingway’s Whiskey.
- Since his first time playing the Opry, Blake Shelton figures he’s been back about 20 times and even considers it a part of his job description as a country singer. With that kind of dedication, he just might have an invitation in his future.
At a lunch with Opry manager Steve Buchanan in January, Shelton was asked about his opinion of the Opry and if he’d be interested in joining someday. Shelton replied that there probably wasn’t a current artist more interested or more knowledgeable about the history of country music and its artists and songwriters.
And right after that, he said he didn’t think he’d fit in.
Texas Music Scene caught up with the Randy Rogers Band to discuss their new album, Burning the Day, due out on Aug. 24:
- Paige: Oh damn. :( I never commented here and I haven't been listening to any music at all since Thanksgiving (it …
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …