Joe Diffie Delays Bluegrass Album; Blake Shelton Eyes Opry; Dierks Bentley Announces Next Single
- Joe Diffie‘s new album, Homecoming: The Bluegrass Album, was originally scheduled to be released later this month, but has now been pushed back to Oct. 26.
- Farce the Music’s August edition of parodied album covers features multiple appearances from Craig Morgan.
- In his chat with ESPN yesterday, Blake Shelton named his biggest musical influence, explained why he’ll never have his own hunting show, and revealed who is the better shot between himself and Miranda.
You cuss like a sailor… Who’s your influence?
Sam Kenison was a great cusser as was George Carlin, but my favorite cusser of all time Martina McBride.
- “Depression,” the first single from Ryan Bingham‘s forthcoming album, is available for purchase at digital outlets. (Amazon | iTunes)
- Come Oct. 12, Whitey Morgan & The 78‘s will followup their Honky Tonks and Cheap Motels album with a self-titled debut on Bloodshot Records. (via Saving Country Music)
- A motorcycle autographed by Taylor Swift, Tim McGraw, Dolly Parton, and other country stars was stolen earlier this week. The donated cycle was intended to be auctioned to benefit breast cancer research and prevention.
- If Gary Allan and his gang ever grow up, they want to be just like Brooks & Dunn.
- Brandon Rhyder took to his blog to address rumors that he had been fired from his booking agency and clear up any confusion behind the departure of two band members.
- On Monday night, the Desert Rose Band played to an audience riddled with big names at Nashville’s Belcourt Theater. Peter Cooper has the details:
[...] the Desert Rose Band’s reunion concert was much more about renewal than replication. Enlivened by guest visits from Emmylou Harris and Brad Paisley, the Desert Rose Band’s original lineup presented a reunion show that existed fully in the moment, bolstered, not shackled, by memory.
- Although it hasn’t been confirmed, an email we received suggests that Gene Watson may be the only traditional artist nominated on both the ACM and CMA ballots this year. He didn’t make it to the final list for the ACMs, and may not make it to the final five for the CMAs either, but he’s currently listed under Musical Event of the Year for his duet with Rhonda Vincent on the song “Staying Together.”
The next single from Dierks Bentley‘s Up On the Ridge album will be “Draw Me A Map,” which features harmony vocals from Alison Krauss.
- For week 40 of his Nashville or Bust column, The A.V. Club’s Nathan Rabin covered the late, great Townes Van Zandt.
- Kenny Chesney collaborated with George Jones and Grace Potter for his forthcoming album, Hemingway’s Whiskey.
- Since his first time playing the Opry, Blake Shelton figures he’s been back about 20 times and even considers it a part of his job description as a country singer. With that kind of dedication, he just might have an invitation in his future.
At a lunch with Opry manager Steve Buchanan in January, Shelton was asked about his opinion of the Opry and if he’d be interested in joining someday. Shelton replied that there probably wasn’t a current artist more interested or more knowledgeable about the history of country music and its artists and songwriters.
And right after that, he said he didn’t think he’d fit in.
Texas Music Scene caught up with the Randy Rogers Band to discuss their new album, Burning the Day, due out on Aug. 24:
- Ken Morton, Jr.: Another twisted collection of songs to put into the Friday Five Hall of Fame, Juli.
- Arlene: I'd have included "Omie Wise." Doc Watson's is the version I'm familiar with but I think it's been recorded by …
- luckyoldsun: I think the number one country murder ballad is "Frankie and Johnny"--by Jimmie. Also, how about "Delia's Gone" from Harry Belafonte …
- Juli Thanki: Colloquial use of "fantastic" as a synonym for "excellent" dates back to the 1930s. And if it's good enough for …
- Paul W Dennis: I think "Banks of The Ohio", "Miller's Cave" and "It's Nothing to Me" are far creepier than several of the …
- Paul W Dennis: The Hight article is interesting, although I don't know that I would describe it as fantastic, but then I know …
- Dana M: I'm actually excited to hear a new Reba album. As for the Alan Jackson tour, I hope he announces Canadian …
- nm: Agreed. A good job by three very smart women.
- Deremy Jylan: The Hight piece is tremendous reading.
- Juli Thanki: Much like the music of Aldean and FGL, Michelob Ultra is favored by college kids and too much exposure will …