Jimmy Buffet Reschedules Free Concert; Bill Monroe Biopic In the Works; Travis Tritt To Go Indie
- Due to threats of a high surf from Tropical Storm Alex, Jimmy Buffet had to postpone today’s free concert on the beach at Gulf Shores in Alabama. A new date has been set for July 11, but local businesses were hoping the show would boost visitors for the Fourth of July weekend. Hundreds of lucky fans were able to see Buffet on Wednesday night though. His crew was already in town and decided to hold an impromptu show at his sister’s restaurant.
- Starting with 1972 and ending with 2010, Austin360.com presents: The (almost) definitive chronology of Willie’s Fourth of July Picnics
- And as sort of an abridged version, Dave Thomas relayed a few interesting facts about four of Willie’s Picnics, starting with 1980 and jumping every ten years thereafter (’90, ’00, ’10). This year’s Picnic is still a few days away, but even if the venue is filled to capacity at 7,500 fans, it’ll go down as one of the smallest-ever Picnics.
- Following prescribed vocal rest, Brooks & Dunn will resume the Last Rodeo Tour on July 16 with opening act Gary Allan, but the duo also added Sara Evans, Miranda Lambert, and Merle Haggard for various dates.
- For his next album, Travis Tritt is going indie, as in he’s creating his own label. In an interview with Billboard he explained, “it’s strictly for me to release my music on. We’re not looking to sign other (artists).”
- Lady Antebellum‘s “Need You Now” dance remix.
- Alan Jackson recently sold his 135-acre Nashville property and now he’s put a four-bedroom Key West-style cottage in Tequesta, Florida on the market.
- Buddy Miller is the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum’s 2010 Artist-in-Residence.
- In an interview with David Burger of The Salt Lake Tribune, Todd Snider revealed the reason for choosing Great American Taxi as his backing band for a recent gig:
“They have the best pot,” responded the eccentric Snider, jokingly. “The best.”
At least I thought he was joking, as he added: “They can teach me a lot about my own music.”
- Vince Gill and Amy Grant announced an 11-city Christmas tour that will debut Dec. 8 in Sarasota, Florida.
- Listen to “Gonna Try To Make Her Stay” from Tim O’Brien‘s forthcoming album Chicken & Egg.
- Every weekend in July, Michael Martin Murphey will host a concert on the train named City of New Orleans as a part of the Rio Grande Scenic Railroad Roots & Boots Summer Concert Series.
- The final lineup for this year’s Aquapalooza has been announced, and the singers joining Brad Paisley are: Matt Stillwell, Joanna Smith, Lee Brice, and Jerrod Niemann. Aquapalooza will take place July 10 near Austin, Texas.
- Not many details are known, but a Bill Monroe biopic appears to be in the works.
- Have you ever wondered what Blake Shelton‘s top six favorite songs to cover were? Me neither, but in this week’s Take Six Tuesday he shares his list.
- Listen to and download Patty Griffin‘s performance of “I Smell a Rat” from KUT’s Studio 1a.
- Thanks to everyone who participated in our Dollywood contest; you’re all winners in my eyes, but only one person can take home the tickets, so congrats to Kelly.
- Carrie Underwood on collaborating with Randy Travis:
I’ve always been a Randy Travis fan. I just remember watching him at awards shows when I was little and just hoping that he would win. I had tapes of his when I was growing up and he was always a fixture in my musical background. So when we were making the album, I wanted to have a cover song and I had a long list of just awesome songs that would be great to remake, to put my own spin on it. Nothing quite seemed perfect. So I was going through my iTunes one day and saw “I Told You So” on there and thought, “Oh my gosh, that can be sung by a girl,” and it really fit. The second the idea came out of my mouth, everyone was on it. … Through the whole process, of course I loved singing with Randy Travis, and I love singing the song every night on tour, but the best thing to come out of the whole situation is that I consider him a friend now.
- As part of its Pioneer Sessions, Levi’s (yes, the jean company) is giving away a download of Ryan Bingham covering Otis Redding‘s “That’s How Strong My Love Is.”
- Coinciding with the 50th anniversary of Doc Watson’s discovery, Blooming Twig Books has just released Blind But Now I See: The Biography of Music Legend Doc Watson.
- The Boot’s top country songs of 2010 (so far).
- American Songwriter‘s Evan Schlansky says you need to hear the Griffin House song “Head For the Hills.”
- Producer Paul Worley and partners Wally Wilson and Glen Morgan formed the new record label Skyville Records. Their first signee is the trio Stealing Angels.
- Singer Megan Mullins allowed herself to be attacked by a German Shepherd.
- As part of its Sessions feature, American Songwriter has an interview, mp3s, and video with the members of the band Bearfoot, who recently relocated to Nashville.
- Paige: Oh damn. :( I never commented here and I haven't been listening to any music at all since Thanksgiving (it …
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …