Jim Seal Passes Away; Juno Awards Winners Announced; New Music Videos
- Canada’s 2013 Juno Awards Ceremony was held over the weekend. k.d. lang was inducted into the Canadian Music Hall of Fame and several country/Americana/roots bands took home trophies:
International Album of the Year — Mumford & Sons, Babel
Artist of the Year — Leonard Cohen
Country Album of the Year — Johnny Reid, Fire It Up
Aboriginal Album of the Year — Crystal Shawanda, Just Like You
Roots & Traditional Album of the Year: Solo — Rose Cousins, We Have Made a Spark
Roots & Traditional Album of the Year Group — Elliott Brood, Days Into Years
Blues Album of the Year — Steve Strongman, A Natural Fact
- Although Let’s Face the Music and Dance just came out last week, Willie Nelson is already well into recording his next album, which will feature duets with Miranda Lambert, Barbra Streisand, Loretta Lynn, Rosanne Cash, Alison Krauss, and Norah Jones.
- Jim Seals, whose “Bourbon Cowboy” was a charted hit in 1980, passed away last week at the age of 68.
- Joe Walsh has recruited Robert Randolph, Dr. John, Mick Jagger, and Ringo Starr to guest on a blues album he’s got in the works.
- George Jackson, one of the co-writers of “Old Time Rock and Roll,” also passed away at 68.
- California Country has another round of Quotable Country for you this week.
- Chris Young’s next album is finished and is more uptempo than his previous three.
- Evidently, it’s true that girls can never have enough shoes: Taylor Swift expanded her Keds footwear collection.
- Former The Voice contestant RaeLynn inked a music deal and will soon begin working on her debut album.
- The Boxcars are releasing It’s Just a Road this week.
- WACO, a Clear Channel country station out of (where else?) Waco, Texas is organizing an auction of artist memorabilia to benefit the West, TX volunteer fire department who lost members in last week’s fertilizer plant explosion.
- Georgia Country Music Hall of Famer Jack Rowe passed away at the age of 86.
- Trace Adkins broke his foot.
- Kim Richey and Darden Smith’s show in Cambridge, Mass. was canceled last Friday when Boston and surrounding boroughs were on lockdown during the hunt for the bomber.
- On June 1 in Franklin, Tenn., Alison Krauss and Jerry Douglas will perform and host a kickoff event to raise awareness and funds for the Americana Music Association and their plans for Cross Country Lines, a “one day festival/celebration of Roots inspired music to take place in Middle Tennessee during the early summer of 2014.”
- New music videos from the last week or so:
Infamous Stringdusters – “Rockets”
Lonestar – “Maybe Someday”
Tyler Farr – “Redneck Crazy”
Earl Dibbles, Jr. (Granger Smith) – “Country Boy Love”
Troy Cassar-Daley and Adam Harvey – “Lights on the Hill”
Small Town Pistols – “Blame It on the Radio”
Sara Watkins – “You and Me”
Hayden Panettiere – “The Fabric of My Life”
Buckeye Knoll – “I Am Who I Am”
Gary Quinn – “He Don’t Show Her Anymore”
Aaron Wardle – “Please”
Krystal Keith – “Daddy, Dance With Me”
Lenny Cooper – “Mud Dynasty”
Tigirlily – “Little Birdie”
Matt Kimbrow Band – “If It All Goes Right”
- luckyoldsun: MH-- "...divisive, dismissive and argumentative." There's a shock. Who'da thunk it.
- MH: Looks like the IBMA is finding out what a lot of us already knew about former & frequent Engine 145 …
- Tom: ...it is almost the year 2015 - ain't it about time we leave people (celebrities included) having the personal relations …
- Paul W Dennis: I had assumed that Herndon was gay after the incident that Lucky Old Sun referenced, but bought the next Herndon …
- Jonathan Pappalardo: For anyone who wants to buy it, the Rosanne Cash 45 is available again. With 1000 copies being created, I …
- luckyoldsun: It seemed that the old morals arrest incident really did Herndon in. He was a pretty big country star before …
- CraigR.: Hopefully in the future being gay or straight won't matter at all. And then people won't have to hide their …
- Bruce: Jim has a remarkable voice for his age. Heck, for any age.
- bob: Good luck to Herndon and Gilman. I've seen Herndon in concert. While I liked his 90's material better, he's still …
- Leeann Ward: It was Brad Paisley and its on his Christmas album.