Jessica Simpson – “Pray Out Loud”
Though gossip mongers and tabloids of late have been focusing on Jessica Simpson’s alleged weight gain, there is another, more important issue which needs to be brought into the public eye, and that’s the sheer lameness of her latest single, “Pray Out Loud.”
First things first, it seems that Simpson—who began her musical career as a contemporary Christian artist—has never read Matthew 6:6, which states in part, “When you pray, go into your room, close the door, and pray to your Father.” We can only wish that Simpson would have followed these directions and stayed unseen (or at least unheard) when it comes to this three-minute snoozefest masquerading as a country song.
“Pray Out Loud” manages to be positive in the blandest way possible thanks to a trio who takes every opportunity to pen one hackneyed cliché after another. The song was written by Simpson and industry veterans Brett James (who co-wrote “Jesus, Take the Wheel”) and producer John Shanks, who’s written with Keith Urban (“Somebody Like You”), and the younger, less-talented singing Simpson sister. Here, Shanks and James are scraping the bottom of their barrels when it comes to writing trite pop-country. It’s a song written for the minivan set to hum along to, completely forgotten as soon as the vehicle is back in the garage.
But the lyrics themselves aren’t the song’s biggest problem–that would be Jessica Simpson’s absolute inability to sell said lyrics, which she delivers with about as much emotion as Mr. Moviefone. If a song urges listeners to “Just close your eyes and let it out/All your fears and doubts,” then the singer should at least sound as though she believes it herself, or that she has been through a similar experience in order to give the song a modicum of believability and most importantly, honesty.
Unfortunately, “Pray Out Loud” along with Simpson’s recent foray into country music rings utterly false.
- Jeremy Dylan: There are many choice Dylan covers out there, but my picks of the bunch would be The Byrds take on ...
- Doug Gilliland: Can't say for sure if these artists are currently unsigned, but I would love to hear new material from Kathy ...
- Rick: Opry Alert! I'm guessing(?) tonight marks the end of the spring season of the Thursday Night Classic Country Opry shows ...
- bob: Thanks for the info on the PBS Carole King concert. It will be good to see Trisha Yearwood sing again.
- Jon: Nope.
- Luckyoldsun: Sounds good. Is she--or her husband--related to Dallas? (I'll assume not to Joe.)
- Luckyoldsun: R-- Sounds like you're expanding your palate. "60′s style California hippie vibe" sounds like something you'd have banned from your playlist.
- Rick: I like the production, the excellent guitar picking, and Rebecca has a nice voice with individuality, but the song structure ...
- Rick: That Buddy Emmons tribute album sounds kinda interesting. I just might have to give it a listen when it's available. Congratulations ...
- Jon: Jack Bernhardt is the bomb.