Jerry Douglas Announces Flatt & Scruggs Tribute Album; SiriusXM Launches Y2Kountry; New Music Videos
- Ali Lohan, younger sister of Lindsay, is reportedly getting ready to launch a country music career.
- The internet was abuzz over Tim McGraw’s intentional/unintentional swipe/slap of a fan that got a little too grabby at one of his concerts.
- JD Crowe, Doyle Lawson and Paul Williams will release Standing Tall and Tough on Mountain Home Music August 19.
- Closer Weekly interviewed some of Randy Travis’s friends who suggest that the singer will make a full recovery and get back on the stage.
- Chuck Dauphin interviewed Sammy Kershaw about his George Jones tribute album, which comes out tomorrow.
- Watch Chris Stapleton and Little Big Town sing The Oak Ridge Boys’ “Elvira.”
- Lady Antebellum will release 747 on September 30.
- Engine 145 friend Peter Cooper wrote a great piece on Michael Jarrett’s new book Producing Country: The Inside Story of The Great Recordings.
- Rolling Stone Country has a fine article about Richard Marx and his forays into country songwriting.
- Joanna Mosca will release Have a Little Mercy, a new EP, on August 19.
- Kelly Willis and Bruce Robison discussed Our Year for the Texas Music Scene.
- Florida Georgia Line’s “Dirt” went to Number One in its second week on the Billboard Hot Country charts.
- In case you were wondering what ever happened to Eric Heatherly…
- SiriusXM launched a channel called Y2Kountry, which plays country hits from the 2000s on Channel 57.
- Tom Petty was chosen as Number 22 on CMT’s All-Time Top 40: Artists’ Choice, a list of the most influential artists in history, chosen by country stars themselves. Petty also takes on on the Catholic Church on his new album, Hypnotic Eye, which is streaming here.
- Jerry Douglas got together with Shawn Camp, Charlie Cushman, Barry Bales, Tim O’Brien, and Johnny Warren to make a Flatt & Scruggs cover album called The Earls of Leicester, due out on Rounder Records September 16, the same date Rounder will also release Three Bells, the Dobro album Douglas recorded with Rob Ickes and the late Mike Auldridge . (via press release)
- The filmmakers behind the Gregg Allman biopic (in which one crew member was killed in an accident while filming on the train tracks) have been charged with manslaughter.
- New music videos from the last week or so:
Megan and Liz – “Simple Life”
Jim Gaudet & The Railroad Boys – “Ink My Name” (Live at WAMU’s Bluegrass Country)
Tigirlily – “A Little Fun”
Adam & I – “If I’m Taken”
Louise Goffin – “Follow My Heart”
Kasey Chambers – “Wheelbarrow”
McAlister Kemp – “Fight Me”
Florida Georgia Line – “Dirt”
Dan + Shay – “Show You Off”
Blackberry Smoke – “Six Ways to Sunday”
Bart Crow – “If I Go, I’m Goin’”
Justin Townes Earle – “White Gardenias”
Hurray for the Riff Raff – “I Know It’s Wrong (But That’s Alright)”
Trampled by Turtles – “Are You Behind the Shining Star?”
Josh Thompson – “Wanted Me Gone”
Niall Toner – “Million Dollar Bill”
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.