Jerry Douglas Announces Flatt & Scruggs Tribute Album; SiriusXM Launches Y2Kountry; New Music Videos
- Ali Lohan, younger sister of Lindsay, is reportedly getting ready to launch a country music career.
- The internet was abuzz over Tim McGraw’s intentional/unintentional swipe/slap of a fan that got a little too grabby at one of his concerts.
- JD Crowe, Doyle Lawson and Paul Williams will release Standing Tall and Tough on Mountain Home Music August 19.
- Closer Weekly interviewed some of Randy Travis’s friends who suggest that the singer will make a full recovery and get back on the stage.
- Chuck Dauphin interviewed Sammy Kershaw about his George Jones tribute album, which comes out tomorrow.
- Watch Chris Stapleton and Little Big Town sing The Oak Ridge Boys’ “Elvira.”
- Lady Antebellum will release 747 on September 30.
- Engine 145 friend Peter Cooper wrote a great piece on Michael Jarrett’s new book Producing Country: The Inside Story of The Great Recordings.
- Rolling Stone Country has a fine article about Richard Marx and his forays into country songwriting.
- Joanna Mosca will release Have a Little Mercy, a new EP, on August 19.
- Kelly Willis and Bruce Robison discussed Our Year for the Texas Music Scene.
- Florida Georgia Line’s “Dirt” went to Number One in its second week on the Billboard Hot Country charts.
- In case you were wondering what ever happened to Eric Heatherly…
- SiriusXM launched a channel called Y2Kountry, which plays country hits from the 2000s on Channel 57.
- Tom Petty was chosen as Number 22 on CMT’s All-Time Top 40: Artists’ Choice, a list of the most influential artists in history, chosen by country stars themselves. Petty also takes on on the Catholic Church on his new album, Hypnotic Eye, which is streaming here.
- Jerry Douglas got together with Shawn Camp, Charlie Cushman, Barry Bales, Tim O’Brien, and Johnny Warren to make a Flatt & Scruggs cover album called The Earls of Leicester, due out on Rounder Records September 16, the same date Rounder will also release Three Bells, the Dobro album Douglas recorded with Rob Ickes and the late Mike Auldridge . (via press release)
- The filmmakers behind the Gregg Allman biopic (in which one crew member was killed in an accident while filming on the train tracks) have been charged with manslaughter.
- New music videos from the last week or so:
Megan and Liz – “Simple Life”
Jim Gaudet & The Railroad Boys – “Ink My Name” (Live at WAMU’s Bluegrass Country)
Tigirlily – “A Little Fun”
Adam & I – “If I’m Taken”
Louise Goffin – “Follow My Heart”
Kasey Chambers – “Wheelbarrow”
McAlister Kemp – “Fight Me”
Florida Georgia Line – “Dirt”
Dan + Shay – “Show You Off”
Blackberry Smoke – “Six Ways to Sunday”
Bart Crow – “If I Go, I’m Goin’”
Justin Townes Earle – “White Gardenias”
Hurray for the Riff Raff – “I Know It’s Wrong (But That’s Alright)”
Trampled by Turtles – “Are You Behind the Shining Star?”
Josh Thompson – “Wanted Me Gone”
Niall Toner – “Million Dollar Bill”
- mrsandy: Also worth noting: Priscilla Mitchell was Jerry Reed's widow.
- Leeann Ward: Wow! My heart goes out to Allison Moorer. She's had so many terrible things happen in her life. It's too …
- Leeann Ward: I must have this audio book!
- Juli Thanki: Ha! Same thing happened at Sturgill Simpson's show I went to last month, only he was singing "I Never Go …
- Dave D.: On the topic of Lee Ann and dark songs, the funniest moment at this year's Americana Fest was during her …
- Jonathan Pappalardo: I love Lori McKenna. Coming from Massachusetts, she's our local girl. I've been fortunate to see her in concert a …
- bll: I suss her re-recording her hits for 'Gwendolen records' means she can stop MCA from releasing her hits against her.
- Greg Judy: Cooler festivals and marching bands at the football games!
- kevin ilinger: Fall colors bluegrass and apple cider
- luckyoldsun: If I was a "long-time fan" of Trisha, I'd probably spring for the CD.