Jennifer Nettles Teams Up with Rick Rubin; Black Prairie Records Wild Ones Soundtrack; New Music Videos
- Jennifer Nettles is working with Rick Rubin on a solo album that will be released in the fall.
- Randy Travis is suing the Texas attorney general’s office and the Texas Department of Public Safety to prevent the release of all evidence, including the dash-cam video, from his 2012 DWI arrest.
- Taylor Swift won eight Billboard Music Awards last night.
- Abigail Washburn and Bela Fleck’s son was born last night. As of this morning, the nine-hour old infant had already mastered “Cripple Creek.”
- Dan DeLuca of the Philadelphia Inquirer wrote a feature on Blue Note Records president Don Was, who has produced albums for Kris Kristofferson, Elizabeth Cook, Willie Nelson, and many, many more.
- Sam Adams of the Philadelphia Inquirer reviewed Tim McGraw’s Friday night show in Camden.
- Time for a new Quotable Country.
- George Strait’s “Give It All We Got Tonight” is his 60th No. 1 song.
- Jason Boland is the American Songwriter Writer of the Week.
- A Maryland man made a Dolly-mobile out of a pink VW Beetle.
- Garden & Gun posted a feature on Jason Isbell as well as a song from his upcoming album, Southeastern.
- The Tennessean launched a new video series called “The Story Behind the Song.” First up is Bobby Braddock and “He Stopped Loving Her Today.”
- We don’t want to spoil the ending All-Star Celebrity Apprentice for any fans who might have missed it, but you can find out how Trace Adkins did here.
- Drive the “Juke Joint Trail.”
- Rural Rhythm Records has created the Rural Roots Digital series, which will focus on “best of” collections and classic album reissues.
- Inside Llewyn Davis, the Coen Brothers’ film based on the life of Dave Van Ronk, premiered at the Cannes International Film Festival. Manohla Dargis of The New York Times wrote a positive review of the movie.
- Black Prairie recorded a soundtrack for Jon Mooallem’s book, Wild Ones. Stream the album here.
- Folksinger Sam Amidon was featured on NPR’s Morning Edition.
- Peter Cooper’s newest Tennessean column covers “veteran sideman” Richard Bennett.
- The Nashville Songwriters Hall of Fame exhibit opened in Music City Center.
- Music videos from the past week or so:
Zac Brown Band – “Jump Right In”
Shakey Graves – “Unlucky Skin”
Della Mae – “Empire”
The Band Perry – “Better Dig Two” (Billboard Music Awards performance)
Robert Ellis – “The Grand Tour”
Sons of Fathers – “Roots & Vine”
Trampled By Turtles – “Midnight on the Interstate”
Glenn Jones – “Across the Tappan Zee”
Taylor Swift – “22” (Billboard Music Awards performance)
Mark Newton & Steve Thomas – “Old McDonald Sold the Farm”
Sammy Kershaw – “The Route That I Took” (George Jones tribute)
David Ramirez – “The Bad Days”
Chasing Blue – “Come to Me”
Aoife O’Donovan – “Red & White & Blue & Gold” (live at the American Songwriter offices)
- Leeann Ward: I was just thinking that I wished Clare Bowen and Sam Palladio would make an album together. I haven't watched …
- bob: Enjoyed the Himes article on classic baseball songs. Thanks. Himes also mentioned some books. To those he noted I would …
- luckyoldsun: Well it probably wasn't Larry Gatlin.
- A.B.: Anyone else think Marty Stuart might be part of Lakehouse Holdings that bought the Johnny Cash/Barry Gibb property?
- David Cantwell: Thanks, Andrew. It almost seems inevitable that the greatest singers--Sinatra and George Jones, say--just don't sing so well at the …
- Andrew: Very well put. I don't remember the last time an album gave me chills right from the opening note quite …
- TX Music Jim: All valid choices. I will forever hold out the hope that Gram Parsons, Jerry Jeff Walker and Gary Stewart will …
- Leeann Ward: Oops...the link: http://www.engine145.com/summer-lovin-ronnie-milsap-looks-back-new-album/
- Leeann Ward: Yes, great choices for inductees! In Milsap's case, I guess if you say it to Juli Thanki, it will happen!:): Do …
- Paul W Dennis: Delighted to see "The Voice With A Heart" being inducted - he is my all-time favorite bluegrass vocalist. Hank Cochran …