Jennifer Nettles Teams Up with Rick Rubin; Black Prairie Records Wild Ones Soundtrack; New Music Videos
- Jennifer Nettles is working with Rick Rubin on a solo album that will be released in the fall.
- Randy Travis is suing the Texas attorney general’s office and the Texas Department of Public Safety to prevent the release of all evidence, including the dash-cam video, from his 2012 DWI arrest.
- Taylor Swift won eight Billboard Music Awards last night.
- Abigail Washburn and Bela Fleck’s son was born last night. As of this morning, the nine-hour old infant had already mastered “Cripple Creek.”
- Dan DeLuca of the Philadelphia Inquirer wrote a feature on Blue Note Records president Don Was, who has produced albums for Kris Kristofferson, Elizabeth Cook, Willie Nelson, and many, many more.
- Sam Adams of the Philadelphia Inquirer reviewed Tim McGraw’s Friday night show in Camden.
- Time for a new Quotable Country.
- George Strait’s “Give It All We Got Tonight” is his 60th No. 1 song.
- Jason Boland is the American Songwriter Writer of the Week.
- A Maryland man made a Dolly-mobile out of a pink VW Beetle.
- Garden & Gun posted a feature on Jason Isbell as well as a song from his upcoming album, Southeastern.
- The Tennessean launched a new video series called “The Story Behind the Song.” First up is Bobby Braddock and “He Stopped Loving Her Today.”
- We don’t want to spoil the ending All-Star Celebrity Apprentice for any fans who might have missed it, but you can find out how Trace Adkins did here.
- Drive the “Juke Joint Trail.”
- Rural Rhythm Records has created the Rural Roots Digital series, which will focus on “best of” collections and classic album reissues.
- Inside Llewyn Davis, the Coen Brothers’ film based on the life of Dave Van Ronk, premiered at the Cannes International Film Festival. Manohla Dargis of The New York Times wrote a positive review of the movie.
- Black Prairie recorded a soundtrack for Jon Mooallem’s book, Wild Ones. Stream the album here.
- Folksinger Sam Amidon was featured on NPR’s Morning Edition.
- Peter Cooper’s newest Tennessean column covers “veteran sideman” Richard Bennett.
- The Nashville Songwriters Hall of Fame exhibit opened in Music City Center.
- Music videos from the past week or so:
Zac Brown Band – “Jump Right In”
Shakey Graves – “Unlucky Skin”
Della Mae – “Empire”
The Band Perry – “Better Dig Two” (Billboard Music Awards performance)
Robert Ellis – “The Grand Tour”
Sons of Fathers – “Roots & Vine”
Trampled By Turtles – “Midnight on the Interstate”
Glenn Jones – “Across the Tappan Zee”
Taylor Swift – “22” (Billboard Music Awards performance)
Mark Newton & Steve Thomas – “Old McDonald Sold the Farm”
Sammy Kershaw – “The Route That I Took” (George Jones tribute)
David Ramirez – “The Bad Days”
Chasing Blue – “Come to Me”
Aoife O’Donovan – “Red & White & Blue & Gold” (live at the American Songwriter offices)
- Jack: The Everly Brothers "Song Our Daddy Taught Us" and "Roots" LPs look good.
- Juli Thanki: Indeed, Richie. Leslie Knope is my spirit animal.
- Six String Richie: That Parks & Rec. clip was perfection! Everybody reading this blog should watch it even if they don't watch the …
- Ben Foster: I'm coveting Dolly Parton's "Blue Smoke" 45.
- Barry Mazor: Speculation is free!
- Jack: Taste of Country has a pretty shallow point of view, and this little blurb is exhibit A.
- Leeann Ward: It is admittedly fun to speculate about these things.
- luckyoldsun: I wonder if the key to learning Gong Kwon Yu Sul is to be higher than a kite. lol
- luckyoldsun: Barry, I didn't say or imply that I have superior knowledge about the nominating process or workings--I'm just willing to make …
- CraigR.: After watching Easton Corbin's video I am left wondering where the man who made " I'm A Little Bit More …