Jennifer Nettles Teams Up with Rick Rubin; Black Prairie Records Wild Ones Soundtrack; New Music Videos
- Jennifer Nettles is working with Rick Rubin on a solo album that will be released in the fall.
- Randy Travis is suing the Texas attorney general’s office and the Texas Department of Public Safety to prevent the release of all evidence, including the dash-cam video, from his 2012 DWI arrest.
- Taylor Swift won eight Billboard Music Awards last night.
- Abigail Washburn and Bela Fleck’s son was born last night. As of this morning, the nine-hour old infant had already mastered “Cripple Creek.”
- Dan DeLuca of the Philadelphia Inquirer wrote a feature on Blue Note Records president Don Was, who has produced albums for Kris Kristofferson, Elizabeth Cook, Willie Nelson, and many, many more.
- Sam Adams of the Philadelphia Inquirer reviewed Tim McGraw’s Friday night show in Camden.
- Time for a new Quotable Country.
- George Strait’s “Give It All We Got Tonight” is his 60th No. 1 song.
- Jason Boland is the American Songwriter Writer of the Week.
- A Maryland man made a Dolly-mobile out of a pink VW Beetle.
- Garden & Gun posted a feature on Jason Isbell as well as a song from his upcoming album, Southeastern.
- The Tennessean launched a new video series called “The Story Behind the Song.” First up is Bobby Braddock and “He Stopped Loving Her Today.”
- We don’t want to spoil the ending All-Star Celebrity Apprentice for any fans who might have missed it, but you can find out how Trace Adkins did here.
- Drive the “Juke Joint Trail.”
- Rural Rhythm Records has created the Rural Roots Digital series, which will focus on “best of” collections and classic album reissues.
- Inside Llewyn Davis, the Coen Brothers’ film based on the life of Dave Van Ronk, premiered at the Cannes International Film Festival. Manohla Dargis of The New York Times wrote a positive review of the movie.
- Black Prairie recorded a soundtrack for Jon Mooallem’s book, Wild Ones. Stream the album here.
- Folksinger Sam Amidon was featured on NPR’s Morning Edition.
- Peter Cooper’s newest Tennessean column covers “veteran sideman” Richard Bennett.
- The Nashville Songwriters Hall of Fame exhibit opened in Music City Center.
- Music videos from the past week or so:
Zac Brown Band – “Jump Right In”
Shakey Graves – “Unlucky Skin”
Della Mae – “Empire”
The Band Perry – “Better Dig Two” (Billboard Music Awards performance)
Robert Ellis – “The Grand Tour”
Sons of Fathers – “Roots & Vine”
Trampled By Turtles – “Midnight on the Interstate”
Glenn Jones – “Across the Tappan Zee”
Taylor Swift – “22” (Billboard Music Awards performance)
Mark Newton & Steve Thomas – “Old McDonald Sold the Farm”
Sammy Kershaw – “The Route That I Took” (George Jones tribute)
David Ramirez – “The Bad Days”
Chasing Blue – “Come to Me”
Aoife O’Donovan – “Red & White & Blue & Gold” (live at the American Songwriter offices)
- Janice Brooks: Hopes somebody gets those memos about drinking songs. Meanwhile I'm feeling a lot of slots with Bluegrass.
- Leeann: Great news about Ricky Skaggs and Sharon White's duet album! Absolutely appalling about the Keith Urban concert!! Both the rape and …
- bob: I found the Billboard article about country music radio needing an alcohol intervention interesting. Songwriter Adam Wright is quoted as …
- Matt: Definitely agree with C.M. about Maddie & Tae. Certainly not the tidal wave of change some claimed it is or …
- Dave D.: Good stuff, as always. My copy of Producing Country arrived yesterday, and it looks to be as good as …
- Scooter: I agree Holly Williams can do no wrong in my eyes. Such a good album and great to see live …
- Carrie Mclaughlin: Your my Hero Mr. Jim Lauderdale!!! Come to Alaska Please? hehehehe
- Jeremy Dylan: You should check it out Dave D. It's from the first (and strongest) season.
- Leeann: Wow! I love that Holly William's cover of "No Surrender"! She's gotten to be so good.
- luckyoldsun: I made it through a minute of that "Girl In a Country Song Video." Man, that sucks.