Jennifer Nettles Teams Up with Rick Rubin; Black Prairie Records Wild Ones Soundtrack; New Music Videos
- Jennifer Nettles is working with Rick Rubin on a solo album that will be released in the fall.
- Randy Travis is suing the Texas attorney general’s office and the Texas Department of Public Safety to prevent the release of all evidence, including the dash-cam video, from his 2012 DWI arrest.
- Taylor Swift won eight Billboard Music Awards last night.
- Abigail Washburn and Bela Fleck’s son was born last night. As of this morning, the nine-hour old infant had already mastered “Cripple Creek.”
- Dan DeLuca of the Philadelphia Inquirer wrote a feature on Blue Note Records president Don Was, who has produced albums for Kris Kristofferson, Elizabeth Cook, Willie Nelson, and many, many more.
- Sam Adams of the Philadelphia Inquirer reviewed Tim McGraw’s Friday night show in Camden.
- Time for a new Quotable Country.
- George Strait’s “Give It All We Got Tonight” is his 60th No. 1 song.
- Jason Boland is the American Songwriter Writer of the Week.
- A Maryland man made a Dolly-mobile out of a pink VW Beetle.
- Garden & Gun posted a feature on Jason Isbell as well as a song from his upcoming album, Southeastern.
- The Tennessean launched a new video series called “The Story Behind the Song.” First up is Bobby Braddock and “He Stopped Loving Her Today.”
- We don’t want to spoil the ending All-Star Celebrity Apprentice for any fans who might have missed it, but you can find out how Trace Adkins did here.
- Drive the “Juke Joint Trail.”
- Rural Rhythm Records has created the Rural Roots Digital series, which will focus on “best of” collections and classic album reissues.
- Inside Llewyn Davis, the Coen Brothers’ film based on the life of Dave Van Ronk, premiered at the Cannes International Film Festival. Manohla Dargis of The New York Times wrote a positive review of the movie.
- Black Prairie recorded a soundtrack for Jon Mooallem’s book, Wild Ones. Stream the album here.
- Folksinger Sam Amidon was featured on NPR’s Morning Edition.
- Peter Cooper’s newest Tennessean column covers “veteran sideman” Richard Bennett.
- The Nashville Songwriters Hall of Fame exhibit opened in Music City Center.
- Music videos from the past week or so:
Zac Brown Band – “Jump Right In”
Shakey Graves – “Unlucky Skin”
Della Mae – “Empire”
The Band Perry – “Better Dig Two” (Billboard Music Awards performance)
Robert Ellis – “The Grand Tour”
Sons of Fathers – “Roots & Vine”
Trampled By Turtles – “Midnight on the Interstate”
Glenn Jones – “Across the Tappan Zee”
Taylor Swift – “22” (Billboard Music Awards performance)
Mark Newton & Steve Thomas – “Old McDonald Sold the Farm”
Sammy Kershaw – “The Route That I Took” (George Jones tribute)
David Ramirez – “The Bad Days”
Chasing Blue – “Come to Me”
Aoife O’Donovan – “Red & White & Blue & Gold” (live at the American Songwriter offices)
- Paige: Oh damn. :( I never commented here and I haven't been listening to any music at all since Thanksgiving (it …
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …