JD Souther Named to Songwriters Hall of Fame; Cleotha Staples Passes Away; Jason Isbell & Amanda Shires Wed
- Cleotha Staples, one of The Staple Singers, passed away at 78.
- JD Souther was elected to the Songwriters Hall of Fame and will be inducted in a ceremony later this year.
- Steve Dougherty interviewed and profiled Buddy Miller for the Wall Street Journal. Discussing the heart attack he had onstage in 2009, Miller said, “I made it through the set because I’m a pro and because I wanted to get paid…They saw you in half and take your heart out..That will change you and it did me. I probably did a lot more things for money before the heart attack. Now, I just take on stuff that I love.”
- John Fogerty released a song from his upcoming album, Wrote a Song for Everyone (out May 28). It’s a duet of “Born on the Bayou” with Kid Rock. You can listen here.
- The album cover and track listing were released for Crystal Bowersox’s All This for That, which is coming out on 3/26.
- Jason Isbell and Amanda Shires were married by Todd Snider.
- Peter Cooper explored the art of harmony singing with Emmylou Harris and Rodney Crowell for a feature at the Tennessean.
- Christian singer Steven Curtis Chapman is collaborating with Ricky Skaggs on an album called Deep Roots for Cracker Barrel Old Country Stores.
- An ancillary building on Loretta Lynn’s ranch burned down late last Thursday.
- Sheryl Crow made her full-fledged country debut in Detroit last week, according to Billboard.
- Cool find: Johnny Cash singing “I Walk the Line” in German.
- Tim McGraw and Faith Hill released a funny blooper reel from a recent video shoot.
- In an interview with Chuck Dauphin, Randy Owen hinted at the possibility of some new music later this year from Alabama.
- The “60 for 60” campaign launched by George Strait’s camp is making a push for the 60-year old singer to get his 60th Number One hit before his 61st birthday in May.
- Randy Houser was hospitalized briefly in Salt Lake City for an undisclosed illness and was forced to cancel a show.
- The Lumineers’ self-titled debut album went platinum.
- Saving Country Music looks back at the day Marty Robbins saved the life of NASCAR driver Richard Childress by crashing his own race car.
- Nashville’s WSMV did a piece on the artwork in the Nashville International Airport honoring DeFord Bailey.
- Brad Paisley releases “Beat This Summer” to country radio today. (via press release)
- New music videos from the past week or so:
Bart Crow Band – “Dandelion”
Deryl Dodd – “Somethin’ Ain’t Always Better Than Nothin’”
Tate Stevens – “Holler if You’re with Me”
Cody McCarver – “Red Flag”
WoodField – “Angelie”
Beau Davidson – “More Than I Can Give”
Stephanie Manns – “Burning Out”
Chad Brownlee – “Crash”
The Sickstring Outlaws – “Johnny Drank Jack”
Easton Corbin – “All Over the Road”
Connor Christian and Southern Gothic – “Sheets Down”
Shovels & Rope – “Birmingham”
Marie Miller – “You’re Not Alone”
Taylor Made – “Things You Don’t Grow Out Of”
Templeton Thompson – “When I Get That Pony Rode”
Laura Bryna – “I Don’t Want To Talk About It”
- Paige: Oh damn. :( I never commented here and I haven't been listening to any music at all since Thanksgiving (it …
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …