JD Souther Named to Songwriters Hall of Fame; Cleotha Staples Passes Away; Jason Isbell & Amanda Shires Wed
- Cleotha Staples, one of The Staple Singers, passed away at 78.
- JD Souther was elected to the Songwriters Hall of Fame and will be inducted in a ceremony later this year.
- Steve Dougherty interviewed and profiled Buddy Miller for the Wall Street Journal. Discussing the heart attack he had onstage in 2009, Miller said, “I made it through the set because I’m a pro and because I wanted to get paid…They saw you in half and take your heart out..That will change you and it did me. I probably did a lot more things for money before the heart attack. Now, I just take on stuff that I love.”
- John Fogerty released a song from his upcoming album, Wrote a Song for Everyone (out May 28). It’s a duet of “Born on the Bayou” with Kid Rock. You can listen here.
- The album cover and track listing were released for Crystal Bowersox’s All This for That, which is coming out on 3/26.
- Jason Isbell and Amanda Shires were married by Todd Snider.
- Peter Cooper explored the art of harmony singing with Emmylou Harris and Rodney Crowell for a feature at the Tennessean.
- Christian singer Steven Curtis Chapman is collaborating with Ricky Skaggs on an album called Deep Roots for Cracker Barrel Old Country Stores.
- An ancillary building on Loretta Lynn’s ranch burned down late last Thursday.
- Sheryl Crow made her full-fledged country debut in Detroit last week, according to Billboard.
- Cool find: Johnny Cash singing “I Walk the Line” in German.
- Tim McGraw and Faith Hill released a funny blooper reel from a recent video shoot.
- In an interview with Chuck Dauphin, Randy Owen hinted at the possibility of some new music later this year from Alabama.
- The “60 for 60” campaign launched by George Strait’s camp is making a push for the 60-year old singer to get his 60th Number One hit before his 61st birthday in May.
- Randy Houser was hospitalized briefly in Salt Lake City for an undisclosed illness and was forced to cancel a show.
- The Lumineers’ self-titled debut album went platinum.
- Saving Country Music looks back at the day Marty Robbins saved the life of NASCAR driver Richard Childress by crashing his own race car.
- Nashville’s WSMV did a piece on the artwork in the Nashville International Airport honoring DeFord Bailey.
- Brad Paisley releases “Beat This Summer” to country radio today. (via press release)
- New music videos from the past week or so:
Bart Crow Band – “Dandelion”
Deryl Dodd – “Somethin’ Ain’t Always Better Than Nothin’”
Tate Stevens – “Holler if You’re with Me”
Cody McCarver – “Red Flag”
WoodField – “Angelie”
Beau Davidson – “More Than I Can Give”
Stephanie Manns – “Burning Out”
Chad Brownlee – “Crash”
The Sickstring Outlaws – “Johnny Drank Jack”
Easton Corbin – “All Over the Road”
Connor Christian and Southern Gothic – “Sheets Down”
Shovels & Rope – “Birmingham”
Marie Miller – “You’re Not Alone”
Taylor Made – “Things You Don’t Grow Out Of”
Templeton Thompson – “When I Get That Pony Rode”
Laura Bryna – “I Don’t Want To Talk About It”
- darol anger: This band is not one you're likely to hear out on the fester or club circuit. It's a rare and …
- Livewire: So that's the interview Best listen to the album and decide for yourself. It was slated in UK's Country Music People Magazine A …
- Stormy: A little more glam rock than New Wave, but here is Kenneth Brian covering David Bowie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJhfD77QOLY
- Jack Williams: Forgot this one: Richard Thompson - Tempted (Squeeze)
- Donald: But, Hurt isn't a new wave song. On the other hand, Lydia Loveless covering "They Don't Know," written and performed …
- luckyoldsun: Isn't "Hurt" the key Johnny Cash selection in this motif?--That's the song that made the big impact, with the award-winning …
- Henry: Goes the other way, tool, with the late great Alex Chilton--during a Punk period for him--singing "D-I-V-O-R-C-E" on "Electricity by …
- Jack Williams: Drive-By Truckers - People Who Died (Jim Carroll) Dwight Yoakam - Train In Vain (The Clash) Los Lobos - Uncomplicated (Elvis Costello)
- Juli Thanki: Also, The Meat Purveyors recorded The Human League's "Don't You Want Me" for Someday Soon Things Will Be Much Worse: …
- june wommack: Just love DonWilliamsMy daught is named after him. My favorite song Amanda and middle name id Dawn of course after …