Jason Michael Carroll Autographs His CDs At Wal-Mart And Patty Loveless Splits With Sony
- Country at Grammy week:
Country took its turn in the Grammy week spotlight with LeAnn Rimes, Marty Stuart, Charley Pride and Porter Wagoner among the stars calling attention to efforts to preserve vintage country audio and video performances.
Maybe if enough people beat the “today’s country isn’t real country” drum someone will start paying attention…probably not, though.
- Ticket packages for Greenfest 6 are on sale. It’ll be held on March 31, in downtown Austin at Antones. There will be acoustic sets by Drew Kennedy, Josh Grider, and Peter Dawson with full band sets from Adam Hood, Walt Wilkins, and Wade Bowen. I don’t know very much about Josh Grider and nothing about Peter Dawson, but the other four guys are worth the price of admission on their own.
- Patty Loveless has split ways with her Sony label.
- Jason Michael Carroll, who released a new CD this week that I reviewed here, said he couldn’t resist the urge to walk in a store and purchase his own album. So he went an Atlanta based Wal-Mart and got a copy, but as an added bonus for unsuspecting buyers, he autographed all the other copies of his album.
via All About Country
- Country Universe reviewed some new singles from Toby Keith (A-), Mary Chapin Carpenter (A-), and Taylor Swift (C).
And lastly, in case you didn’t notice we changed the sidebar up a little bit to include “Featured Posts” to let us highlight what we feel are some of the better posts out of the recent entries. We did away with the big “MySpace Artist Of The Week” box since it didn’t seem to be that big of a deal to anyone, but we will continue to highlight an artist every week from MySpace that we think deserves some recognition. We also added three little boxes at the top to bring more attention to the featured posts and possibly some sponsors in the future. Feel free to let us know what you like and don’t like, and whether there’s anything else you’d like to see us do more or less of.
- bob: Thanks Barry. Just reserved the Adam Gussow book. Sounds interesting.
- Barry Mazor: It may be over-stated, in arriving at practically a single explanation of everything, but Adam Gussow's book on lynching and …
- Leeann: Wow! Heavy topic and horrifying indeed! "Beer for My Horses" was all fun and games until that reference, I'll have …
- Barry Mazor: Everything else aside, the way that reporter fills us in, with must-have, pointless generational snark included, about who this "Little …
- luckyoldsun: "The Night The Lights Went Out in Georgia" seems to be about a lynching--even if there's something about a judge …
- Arlene: Sorry. I meant to give the link for "Supper Time." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZ58Kfe41kI
- Arlene: Another song sung by Ethel Waters: Irving Berlin's "Supper Time"
- bob: Powerful songs. I read the book "A Lynching in the Heartland" by James H. Madison about a dozen years ago. …
- Ron: Sky Above, Mud Below by Tom Russell is another.
- Jack Williams: Another Othis Taylor song from White African is "My Soul's in Louisiana."