Jason Boland and Aaron Watson Team Up for Texas Tour
- Score 1 for the traditional country fans in Texas. Jason Boland and Aaron Watson announced they’ll be joining forces for a tour across the Lone Star State starting in April.
- While discussing past magazine ideas, No Depression‘s Grant Alden mentions the issue with Miranda Lambert on the cover was, to the best of his knowledge, the worst-selling cover of ND put on newsstands.
- Country Universe took a huge bite out of the ambition cookie and announced “100 Greatest Women,” a series counting down the 100 greatest women of country music.
The story of women in country music tells the story of women in America over the past century. As we begin counting down the 100 Greatest Women in the history of country music, we will do our best to tell both of those stories.
- You could be a part of the CMT Music Awards by submitting a video of yourself “bobbing that head” to Rascal Flatts’s song “Bob That Head.” Selected video submissions will be aired on the background video wall during the performance of “Bob That Head.” Under normal circumstances it’d be blasphemous to mention Rascal Flatts and Billy Joe Shaver in the same breath, however I’ll make an exception and say that the the cowboy prophet’s interpretation of “bob that head” probably isn’t suitable for an awards show.
- The Bluegrass Blog authors want to know how the bluegrass community compares to the broader music industry in terms of which retailers they purchase music from. If you listen to bluegrass, take five seconds to vote in their poll.
- Jack Leaver of The Grand Rapids Press wants you to remember Emily West, he says she’s going to make a big splash. After you read that, check out Jim’s review of her debut single “Rocks In Your Shoes.” (via ggcolumn)
- George Jones made an appearance at CRS where he had a conversation/interview session with songwriter Norro Wilson. He named his favorite duet partners, favorite artists of all time, gave his stamp of approval to a few current artists, and even suggested that modern country music should have a “new name.”
Before Williams came along, Jones said he doted on Roy Acuff’s music and would give his mother instructions to wake him up on Saturday nights when it was Acuff’s turn to sing on the Grand Ole Opry. Later, Williams’ contemporary, Lefty Frizzell, was added to Jones’ musical pantheon.
- Edward Morris dubs Kellie Pickler the “latest great country talker,” in the same mold as Dolly Parton and sharing company with Roger Miller, Marty Stuart, Kathy Mattea, Vince Gill and others.
- Trace Adkins, a staunch conservative by all accounts, says that his manager Ken Levitan, a Music Row Democrat, urged him to write his book A Personal Stand: Observations and Opinions from a Freethinking Roughneck.
“We should be able to have our differences and be civil and even friends and work together,” Adkins says in his distinct, booming voice.
- Former Lonestar vocalist Richie McDonald turns to Contemporary Christian music to kick off his solo career (judging from his attire he’s taken an interest in becoming a mime, too).
- Jason Aldean gets raw and real for Clear Channel’s “Stripped” series.
- Leigh H. Edwards calls Opry Video Classics, an eight-disc DVD box-set of performances from the ’50s to the ’70s, a must-have for serious country fans.
All of this footage helps to flesh out classic country, and amidst the flash of banjos and rhinestones, what shines the brightest is the seamless musicianship and the emotional connection to the audience.
- Randy Travis’ website received a major overhaul and is now online for your viewing pleasure. Along with the redesign, he’s made the first single, “Faith In You,” from his upcoming country album available for free download. You just gotta go through a quick registration process to get your copy. And while we’re plugging Randy Travis, check out this promo video for his upcoming album. Paint me excited.
- Thanks for reading today’s edition of the news roundup, you may now continue to “bob that head.”
- Paige: Oh damn. :( I never commented here and I haven't been listening to any music at all since Thanksgiving (it …
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …