Jamie Lynn Spears Is Reportedly Working On Country Album
- Based on a quote from a source close to the Spears family, E! Online is reporting that Jamie Lynn Spears, the younger sister to Britney Spears, is working on a country album. [That should get the comments flowing.]
- The Tennessean‘s Peter Cooper and The New York Times‘ Douglas Martin wrote profiles on the life and career of Hank Locklin and both writers praised Locklin’s cover of the Irish standard “Danny Boy” (listen).
New releases for the week of March 10, 2009 include:
- CMT’s Craig Shelburne put together a playlist of new music that you probably haven’t heard.
- Curly Putman, who wrote or co-wrote hit songs like “Green, Green Grass of Home,” “He Stopped Loving Her Today” and “D-I-V-O-R-C-E,” is the latest subject of the quarterly programming series Poets and Prophets: Legendary Country Songwriters at the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum, where he’ll be appearing on Saturday, March 28.
- Aquarium Drunkard interviewed Matthew Houck, the head guy for Phosphorescent, about his tribute album to Willie Nelson titled To Willie. (via Still Is Still Moving)
- Jason Michael Carroll will release his 10-song sophomore album titled Growing Up Is Getting Old on April 28.
- Watch the video for the “unplugged” version of Jessica Andrews‘ latest single, “Everything,” which Jim reviewed last November.
- Carrie Underwood‘s remake of the Mötley Crüe song “Home Sweet Home” is the new send-off song for contestants who get the boot on American Idol.
- Walk the Line, Ray and Coal Miner’s Daughter are among EW.com’s list of “25 Best Biopics Ever.”
- The CMT New Video Evaluation Team considered new videos from Rascal Flatts for “Here Come Goodbye,” Jessica Harp for “Boy Like Me,” Caitlin & Will for “Even Now,” Dolly Parton for “Backwoods Barbie” and the winner of Gone Country 3 Sheila E. for her song “Glorious Train.”
- Joey + Rory need a crowd for their next video, “Play the Song.” Filming will be held at Nashville Crossing from 5-7PM tonight. (via NashvilleGab)
- UMG and YouTube have begun talks to launch a new music video site that offers higher quality videos.
- Lady Antebellum exuded a genuine, unforced chemistry at their Monday night RodeoHouston performance, but Joey Guerra says a few of their tunes were instantly forgettable and served as little more than filler between better cover songs.
- Texas Music Matters posted a recording of Justin Townes Earle‘s “Lone Pine Hill” from the KUT studios at SXSW last year.
- Country Universe’s Kevin J. Coyne has a great interview with Kathy Mattea on the subject of her career and her latest album, Coal.
- Leeann Ward: Interesting! I just got an email from Amozon saying that they cancelled my preorder of Jamey Johnson's Christmas album due …
- luckyoldsun: Jim Z-- I get the feeling Barry was this close to calling you what Kinky Friedman called his guy from El …
- Leeann Ward: Thanks, NM. I like a good pop hook, to be honest. So, maybe I need to try it again.
- Barry Mazor: OK, Jim Z. That changes everything. I surrender.
- Jim Z: to call the Dirty River Boys an "Austin area band" is still incorrect. They are based in El Paso.
- nm: Leeann, you and I often have similar tastes in more-traditional country. And, to my ears, Sam Hunt's voice and lyrics …
- Barry Mazor: Matter of fact, as always--I did. The notes say the album was recorded & mixed by and at "The …
- Roger: Looking forward to picking up the Jamey Johnson Christmas EP - love all of those songs and can't wait for …
- Jim Z: that record was recorded in El Paso. (you could look it up) and other than appearing in Austin once in …
- Leeann Ward: Yes, I can always use more dobro in my life! Thanks for the Phil Leadbetter tip! I haven't been able to …