Jamey Johnson to Play Ryman; ICM Awards Nominees Announced; New Album Releases
- Songwriter Hal David passed away. What’s your favorite song that he wrote or co-wrote?
- Peter Cooper wrote an article on Marty Stuart, who is celebrating 40 years in the music business, for the Tennessean. An excerpt: Stuart’s chart run as a 1990s country hit-maker was enough to put his name in bold print in the music history books. But it has been in the past decade — which for Stuart began with inner turmoil and embarrassment — that he has done his most impressive and important work, as a musician, bandleader, producer, writer, historian and television presence. It’s no coincidence that he’s done that work after he was effectively dismissed from the contemporary country music scene, after he realized that what he’d thought of as commercial country was now outsider art. As traditional country became popularly ignored and endangered, he took the music’s preservation as his mission. “We need to stand by our heroes,” he says, and he has.
- Preview this year’s Americana Music Association Festival and Conference.
- Take a peek inside Gram Parsons’ notebook.
- Stream the new album from Crooked Cowboy & The Freshwater Indians.
- Out this month: Uncle Josh Graves’ memoir (edited by Fred Bartenstein), Bluegrass Bluesman.
- The Roys, Vince Gill, Martina McBride, and Josh Turner are among this year’s ICM Faith, Family, and Country Awards nominees. The awards ceremony will be held October 18 in Nashville.
- Add “queer guitar pickers” to the list of people Hank Jr. doesn’t like.
- Slate’s Jody Rosen on Taylor Swift: Who exactly is getting kicked to the curb in “We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together”? A boyfriend? Or Nashville?
- Due to the Labor Day holiday, our weekly music video roundup has been pushed to Wednesday. This video of MilkDrive at the band’s recent Fayetteville Roots Festival performance should tide you over until then.
- This week’s album releases:
Town Mountain – Leave the Bottle
Holy Ghost Tent Revival – Sweat Like the Old Days
Bellamy Brothers – Pray for Me
Crooked Cowboy & The Freshwater Indians – Annalog and Her Hopeful Dreams
My Darling Clementine – How Do You Plead?
David Wax Museum – Knock Knock Get Up
Brian Setzer – Brian Setzer’s Rockabilly Riot! Live from the Planet
Statler Brothers – Words and Music / Home
Various Artists – Vanguard Vocal Groups