Jamey Johnson Releases New Single; Charley Pride Bids On Texas Rangers; Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Lineup
- Jamey Johnson‘s new single, “Playing The Part,” will be released to radio today.
- ASCAP will recognize Alan Jackson with its Founders Award during its country music awards ceremony on Sept. 14. The award is given to “songwriters and composers who have made pioneering contributions to music.”
- Alan Jackson wouldn’t have minded writing Jamey Johnson‘s song “In Color.”
- Charley Pride is part of an 18-person investment group that placed the highest bid in the auction for the Texas Rangers.
- Jason MacNeil covered the bra-flying finale of Tim McGraw‘s Southern Voice 2010 Tour for the Toronto Sun:
On the musical side, McGraw was in top form, delivering a concert that lived up to his “we don’t bulls—, we play music” philosophy with a stash of hits that puts him alongside Reba McEntire and Garth Brooks. Opening with the slow but steady Real Good Man, the singer often twirled, glad-handed, fist-bumped and signed autographs for fans when not nailing roots-y numbers like Let It Go and Just To See You Smile.
Earlier in the evening, a shirtless McGraw and his band surprised Lady Antebellum when they rushed the stage during the trio’s opening set and pretended to work out.
- My Kind of Country: Does a listener’s perception of an artist’s personality affect their appreciation of that artist’s music?
- Blake Shelton hopes to return to making full-length records:
“There’s part of me that wants to go back to making a regular full-length album,” he said. “By the time I get around to that, who knows what this industry will look like then. I’m coming with another single off this (‘Who Are You When I’m Not Looking’), so that will put us well into next year. . . If (CDs) are still around, yeah, I’d like to make another full-length record. It might be my last chance to do that.”
- Watch the new video from The McClymonts, a trio of sisters from Australia, for the song “Save Yourself.”
- Ralph Emery and Sam Phillips are among the class chosen for this year’s induction into the National Radio Hall of Fame.
- American Songwriter, in conjunction with the Zac Brown Band, chose a winner in the contest to fill a performance slot on upcoming Sailing Southern Ground cruise: The Jompson Brothers (MySpace). Not actually brothers, The Jompson Brothers is a rock and roll band consisting of the SteelDrivers’ recently-departed vocalist Chris Stapleton, JT Cure, Bard McNamee, and Greg McKee.
- Eddie Dean, co-author of the Dr. Ralph Stanley book Man of Constant Sorrow: My Life and Times, provided a synopsis and review of the forthcoming book by Ralph Berrier Jr., If Trouble Don’t Kill Me: A Family’s Story of Brotherhood, War, and Bluegrass.
The story of Clayton and Saford Hall is perhaps the ultimate country-music brother saga of all. They never earned the widespread fame of the Monroes or the Louvins. But in their heyday the Hall twins were regional stars in their little neck of the woods in southwest Virginia, until World War II killed their professional music careers and nearly themselves as well.
- Country California: Quotable Country – 08/08/10 Edition
- Chuck Dauphin listed 10 unlikely singers who made the move from the screen to country music, including former Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Terry Bradshaw, Clint Eastwood, and one of my personal favorites (for his song “Ringo”), Bonanza‘s Lorne Greene.
- The full-lineup for the 10th Anniversary Hardly Strictly Bluegrass festival has been announced. (via Twang Nation)
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.