Jamey Johnson Dominates ‘Nashville Scene’ Critics Poll; ACM Plans Tribute to Women of Country; Todd Snider on Bob Dylan
- Jamey Johnson eats critics polls for breakfast. At least that’s the logical conclusion from the just-published critics poll in Nashville Scene, where Johnson received nearly twice as many votes as the runner-up. After looking at the results himself, Geoffrey Himes took the time to write a more reasoned conclusion. Check it out, it’s well worth the read, as is his other piece on Elizabeth Cook, who he says deserves to be played on country radio. Other critics from various publications, including this one (toot!), weighed in as well on topics ranging from “Jamey the Giant” and “Taylor the Star” to “Seeking Alternatives” and “What is Country?”.
- Hear Juli Thanki talk: She joined Katy Daley on WAMU Bluegrass Country the other morning to talk about The 9513’s 2010 Top 10 Bluegrass Albums list. Click the little link in the top left of this page to listen to the hour-long feature. Good stuff.
- Pedal steel guitarist and teacher Elmer Lee “Buddy” Charleton, who was a longtime musician in Ernest Tubb‘s Texas Troubadours band, passed away Tuesday night.
- Robert K. Oermann wrote a feature on Jamey Johnson.
- Country California Fake News: Alan Jackson, Chuck Wicks Join Forces in New Duo Act
The timing of Chuck Wicks’ departure from RCA Nashville – just days after Alan Jackson announced his split from Arista – set tongues wagging down on 16th Avenue last week, and this morning brought confirmation of what many industry commentators had been predicting: Jackson and Wicks have officially announced the formation of a new pop-country duo called Wicks 66.
- The Academy of Country Music plans to tape a television tribute — titled “Girl’s Night Out: Superstar Women of Country” — with Miranda Lambert, Martina McBride, Reba McEntire, Jennifer Nettles and Carrie Underwood a day after its annual awards show.
- Elizabeth Cook remembers Charlie Louvin.
- The Austin Chronicle‘s Jim Caligiuri recommends the new Rodney Crowell memoir, Chinaberry Sidewalks.
- The Village Voice: A Word From Todd Snider: What Would You Say If You Met Bob Dylan?
- VVN Music has an in-depth interview with Jett Williams about last year’s Mother’s Best Recordings release and other projects that are in the works:
Actually, there’s two movies. One of them is already made and it should come out this year. The name of the movie is The Last Ride. I’ve been given a preview of it, my husband and I. In the movie, they never mention the name Hank Williams, he never sings and he never strums the guitar. That sounds just as strange as it can be but, what it is, the guy who is playing my Dad is traveling under an assumed name and so you know who it is. It’s one of the best movies I’ve seen in I can’t remember when.
- Revisit Charlie Louvin‘s Daytrotter Session from last year. He performed “Cash on the Barrelhead,” “Darlin’ Coy,” “Don’t Say Goodbye” and “Wreck On the Highway.” Also, his last album, The Battle Rages On, is streaming in its entirety at True North Records.
- Not even Vince Gill keeps up with today’s mainstream country music.
- Randy Montana’s current single “1,000 Faces” is the iTunes free Single of the Week through next Tuesday.
Here’s a video of solo Randy Rogers performing an acoustic version of “I Met Lonely Tonight” for the Music Fog crew.
- Paige: Oh damn. :( I never commented here and I haven't been listening to any music at all since Thanksgiving (it …
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …