James Alan Shelton Passes Away; PEN New England Honors Kris Kristofferson; Song Premieres
- Guitarist James Alan Shelton (one of Ralph Stanley’s Clinch Mountain Boys) passed away yesterday after a short battle with cancer.
- Peter Cooper (Tennessean), Robert K. Oermann (MusicRow) Chuck Dauphin (Billboard), and Edd Hurt (Nashville Scene) penned obituaries for steel guitar great Weldon Myrick.
- Yesterday NPR took a look at Bobbie Gentry’s classic “Ode to Billie Joe.”
- Kelly Dearmore put together a list of George Strait’s 10 best Texas songs.
- Whitey Morgan launched a Kickstarter campaign to help fund his next album.
- The Justice Department announced that it will “review the 73-year-old legal system governing what songwriters and publishers charge broadcasters, digital music services and other licensees for playing their compositions.”
- PEN New England presented Kris Kristofferson and Randy Newman with Song Lyrics of Literary Excellence Awards.
- The May/June 2014 issue of digital roots music magazine Kithfolk has been published.
- Roy Acuff came in at No. 26 on Country Universe’s “100 Greatest Men of Country Music” countdown.
- Boy Scouts can now get a blues music patch thanks to a partnership between the BSA and Mississippi Blues Trail.
- Dailey & Vincent are taping their first live album and DVD at George Mason University in Virginia.
- Rolling Stone published a fine feature on Sturgill Simpson.
- Rolling Stone also published a list of the 100 Best Country Songs, then Trey Barrineau of USA Today got upset at the countdown’s omission of David Allan Coe’s “You Never Even Called Me By My Name.”
- The Bankesters won Best Bluegrass Album at the Independent Music Awards for Love Has Wheels.
- Southern California public radio station KCRW is kicking off a “Country in the City” concert series in July. Performers will include Shelby Lynne, Wynonna, Nikki Lane, Sturgill Simpson, and Gregg Allman.
- It looks like ground will be broken on the International Bluegrass Music Center in Owensboro, Kentucky later this month. The project could open as early as next year, reports WKYU-FM.
- Song/video premieres:
Jim Lauderdale – “I’m a Song”
Willie Nelson & Jamey Johnson – “The Git Go”
Trampled By Turtles – “Are You Behind the Shining Star?”
Shooter Jennings – “Don’t Wait Up (I’m Playin’ Possum)”
BlackHawk – “Heart with a View”
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.