James Alan Shelton Passes Away; PEN New England Honors Kris Kristofferson; Song Premieres
- Guitarist James Alan Shelton (one of Ralph Stanley’s Clinch Mountain Boys) passed away yesterday after a short battle with cancer.
- Peter Cooper (Tennessean), Robert K. Oermann (MusicRow) Chuck Dauphin (Billboard), and Edd Hurt (Nashville Scene) penned obituaries for steel guitar great Weldon Myrick.
- Yesterday NPR took a look at Bobbie Gentry’s classic “Ode to Billie Joe.”
- Kelly Dearmore put together a list of George Strait’s 10 best Texas songs.
- Whitey Morgan launched a Kickstarter campaign to help fund his next album.
- The Justice Department announced that it will “review the 73-year-old legal system governing what songwriters and publishers charge broadcasters, digital music services and other licensees for playing their compositions.”
- PEN New England presented Kris Kristofferson and Randy Newman with Song Lyrics of Literary Excellence Awards.
- The May/June 2014 issue of digital roots music magazine Kithfolk has been published.
- Roy Acuff came in at No. 26 on Country Universe’s “100 Greatest Men of Country Music” countdown.
- Boy Scouts can now get a blues music patch thanks to a partnership between the BSA and Mississippi Blues Trail.
- Dailey & Vincent are taping their first live album and DVD at George Mason University in Virginia.
- Rolling Stone published a fine feature on Sturgill Simpson.
- Rolling Stone also published a list of the 100 Best Country Songs, then Trey Barrineau of USA Today got upset at the countdown’s omission of David Allan Coe’s “You Never Even Called Me By My Name.”
- The Bankesters won Best Bluegrass Album at the Independent Music Awards for Love Has Wheels.
- Southern California public radio station KCRW is kicking off a “Country in the City” concert series in July. Performers will include Shelby Lynne, Wynonna, Nikki Lane, Sturgill Simpson, and Gregg Allman.
- It looks like ground will be broken on the International Bluegrass Music Center in Owensboro, Kentucky later this month. The project could open as early as next year, reports WKYU-FM.
- Song/video premieres:
Jim Lauderdale – “I’m a Song”
Willie Nelson & Jamey Johnson – “The Git Go”
Trampled By Turtles – “Are You Behind the Shining Star?”
Shooter Jennings – “Don’t Wait Up (I’m Playin’ Possum)”
BlackHawk – “Heart with a View”
- Leeann: Wow! I love that Holly William's cover of "No Surrender"! She's gotten to be so good.
- luckyoldsun: I made it through a minute of that "Girl In a Country Song Video." Man, that sucks.
- lindsay thomas: Wife and I saw these guys last Thursday night, (7-24-14) at the Ryman in Nashville. What a show. …
- Donald: I'm guessing that is meant to read 're-release' Detroit to Wheeling, as the double album originally appeared on Pinecastle in …
- Michael A.: Has anyone else had a difficult time trying to get the free download from the Reba site?
- Dave D.: I can't believe that I never saw the Willie Nelson Monk episode - and it was a Sharona episode, as …
- nm: Taylor Swift was on CSI once. Not only was Steve Earle on The Wire, in one episode Omar quoted him about …
- Barry Mazor: It's only a slight stretch to recall when Jimmy Dean met James Bond: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbwDGtj84YY
- Arlene: I suspect you'll also be including an episode of L.A. Law....
- luckyoldsun: The Johnny Cash episode was the one Columbo case where you really felt "the b--- had it coming."