James Alan Shelton Passes Away; PEN New England Honors Kris Kristofferson; Song Premieres
- Guitarist James Alan Shelton (one of Ralph Stanley’s Clinch Mountain Boys) passed away yesterday after a short battle with cancer.
- Peter Cooper (Tennessean), Robert K. Oermann (MusicRow) Chuck Dauphin (Billboard), and Edd Hurt (Nashville Scene) penned obituaries for steel guitar great Weldon Myrick.
- Yesterday NPR took a look at Bobbie Gentry’s classic “Ode to Billie Joe.”
- Kelly Dearmore put together a list of George Strait’s 10 best Texas songs.
- Whitey Morgan launched a Kickstarter campaign to help fund his next album.
- The Justice Department announced that it will “review the 73-year-old legal system governing what songwriters and publishers charge broadcasters, digital music services and other licensees for playing their compositions.”
- PEN New England presented Kris Kristofferson and Randy Newman with Song Lyrics of Literary Excellence Awards.
- The May/June 2014 issue of digital roots music magazine Kithfolk has been published.
- Roy Acuff came in at No. 26 on Country Universe’s “100 Greatest Men of Country Music” countdown.
- Boy Scouts can now get a blues music patch thanks to a partnership between the BSA and Mississippi Blues Trail.
- Dailey & Vincent are taping their first live album and DVD at George Mason University in Virginia.
- Rolling Stone published a fine feature on Sturgill Simpson.
- Rolling Stone also published a list of the 100 Best Country Songs, then Trey Barrineau of USA Today got upset at the countdown’s omission of David Allan Coe’s “You Never Even Called Me By My Name.”
- The Bankesters won Best Bluegrass Album at the Independent Music Awards for Love Has Wheels.
- Southern California public radio station KCRW is kicking off a “Country in the City” concert series in July. Performers will include Shelby Lynne, Wynonna, Nikki Lane, Sturgill Simpson, and Gregg Allman.
- It looks like ground will be broken on the International Bluegrass Music Center in Owensboro, Kentucky later this month. The project could open as early as next year, reports WKYU-FM.
- Song/video premieres:
Jim Lauderdale – “I’m a Song”
Willie Nelson & Jamey Johnson – “The Git Go”
Trampled By Turtles – “Are You Behind the Shining Star?”
Shooter Jennings – “Don’t Wait Up (I’m Playin’ Possum)”
BlackHawk – “Heart with a View”
- Juli Thanki: Colloquial use of "fantastic" as a synonym for "excellent" dates back to the 1930s. And if it's good enough for …
- Paul W Dennis: I think "Banks of The Ohio", "Miller's Cave" and "It's Nothing to Me" are far creepier than several of the …
- Paul W Dennis: The Hight article is interesting, although I don't know that I would describe it as fantastic, but then I know …
- Dana M: I'm actually excited to hear a new Reba album. As for the Alan Jackson tour, I hope he announces Canadian …
- nm: Agreed. A good job by three very smart women.
- Deremy Jylan: The Hight piece is tremendous reading.
- Juli Thanki: Much like the music of Aldean and FGL, Michelob Ultra is favored by college kids and too much exposure will …
- Tom: ...michelob ultra seems to be a brew from hell.
- luckyoldsun: Maybe he was just changing out of his hunting clothes. At least he didn't do the full Randy...um Monty.
- Donald: If you haven't heard...this one is a bit bizarre: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/johnny-cash-s-son-arrested-at-deer-lake-airport-after-removing-his-clothes-1.2814697?cmp=rss I think the link says almost all....