Jake Owen – “Something About A Woman”
For an artist trying to establish himself, Jake Owen’s “Something About A Woman” is a downright disappointing release. In marketing, you typically push your unique selling point and that is exactly what Jake Owen lacks right now. This song could have been recorded by anyone just as blandly as it is here.
Eighty percent of the song is hook without much of a supporting story and even then, the opening verse completely fails to support the hook in any sort of meaningful way and makes the sentimental tone of the song feel awkward. After listening to Owen sing about a woman rubbing tanning oil over herself and then untying the string on her bikini top, how could lines like “Some kind of gift they’re given / That makes this life worth livin’ / And it makes a man a man” not be construed as shallow and disingenuous. Seriously, women in bikinis make life worth living? Ok guys, don’t answer that.
The hook would have been decent with more sentimental verses, but even then, the lyric still wouldn’t have been strong enough to carry this song very far. I do like Owen’s traditional sound and think he has a voice that could take him places, as evidenced by his second single “Startin’ With Me,” but he needs to pick stronger material that will complement his voice and give him an identity.
- Michael A.: Has anyone else had a difficult time trying to get the free download from the Reba site?
- Dave D.: I can't believe that I never saw the Willie Nelson Monk episode - and it was a Sharona episode, as …
- nm: Taylor Swift was on CSI once. Not only was Steve Earle on The Wire, in one episode Omar quoted him about …
- Barry Mazor: It's only a slight stretch to recall when Jimmy Dean met James Bond: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbwDGtj84YY
- Arlene: I suspect you'll also be including an episode of L.A. Law....
- luckyoldsun: The Johnny Cash episode was the one Columbo case where you really felt "the b--- had it coming."
- A.B.: Janice - I saw that too and sent him a Tweet about it.
- Janice Brooks: Peter Cooper needs an edit. Stringbean did not die in 1964.
- Leeann: I can't contribute to this list, but I did think of Steve Earle and The Wire. It's not my …
- Jeremy Dylan: That was a great episode of Monk. The "Georgia On My Mind" scene is just heartbreaking.