Jack Ingram’s Art; More Than 100 Arrested at Chesney Concert; Darius Rucker Free at the Opry
- Jack Ingram on pressure and his approach to making music:
Billboard: Do you feel more pressure now that you’re having more success?
Ingram: I’m a father, there’s a business that has my name on it, there’s a lot of things going on that create that pressure, but I love it. There’s an element to making my music now that wasn’t there before. I love the fact that we have a target that we can shoot for. Before it was, “Let’s make a huge piece of art.” Now it’s nice to say, “This needs to be this way because it will be a single. This is a song that people will sing along to with their arms in the air.” That’s artistic, and it feels fantastic to be able to chase that.
- The Boot’s Stephen L. Betts counted down country music’s biggest feuds.
- Nanci Griffith, The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, Raul Malo and The Greencards have been added to the line-up for the 2009 Americana Music Festival.
- The Boston Globe‘s James Reed on the new Reba McEntire album, Keep On Loving You:
Only a few of these songs (“But Why,’’ “Over You’’) feel faceless, the kind of power ballads that could be hits for McEntire, or Martina McBride, or Faith Hill. Of course, this being a radio-friendly record, there’s the requisite tip of the cowboy hat to spitfire women who buck the odds (“Pink Guitar’’) and rugged, downhome men (“I Want a Cowboy’’).
- My Kind of Country’s Occasional Hope reviewed Place to Turn Around, the recent release from Wade Hayes.
- Kenny Chesney surprised fans in Foxboro over the weekend when he brought out New England Patriots Tedy Bruschi and Wes Welker for an encore medley jam that included Steve Miller’s “The Joker” and Bob Marley’s “Three Little Birds.” But it wasn’t all fun and games, The Boot reports that more than 100 people were arrested for alcohol-related rowdy behavior.
- Are drunk old men in bars our greatest philosophers?
- Chris Parton posted his review of last week’s Old Crow Medicine Show, Felice Brothers, Dave Rawlings, Gillian Welch, and Justin Townes Earle gig in Nashville.
- The new, 2-CD Legacy Edition of Elvis in Memphis earned a full five stars from Country Weekly‘s Chris Neal.
- In a brief Q&A with The Boston Globe, Lady Antebellum‘s Hillary Scott divulged plans to write with Jennifer Nettles and Kristian Bush: “We’re going to try to write with them, because we’ve been writing a ton for the next record over the past couple of months and we just feel like, gosh, if anybody’s doing it right, it’s them.”
- Watch the new video for Chris Young‘s “Getting’ You Home.”
- Darius Rucker will play a free show at the Opry on August 24 as part of the third annual Samsung AT&T Summer Krush tour.
- Country Universe continued their coverage of ’90s artists with essential songs from Sawyer Brown.
- After listening to the new Daryle Singletary album Rockin’ In the Country, The Gobblers Knob’s Kelly Dearmore reports that Singletary hasn’t changed much, which he says is a good thing.
- Paige: Oh damn. :( I never commented here and I haven't been listening to any music at all since Thanksgiving (it …
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …