Jack Greene Passes Away; Darius Rucker’s True Believers Drops 5/21; Elizabeth Cook is Delightful
- Hilary Williams released a new EP.
- Mary Chapin Carpenter’s single “He Thinks He’ll Keep Her” was the subject of a “Hear This” A.V. Club post. An excerpt: The genius of the song, though, is that Carpenter doesn’t end in [a] moment of forced girl power. Her feminism extends beyond women realizing they can seize their own destinies, to the society that makes those stifling lives seem so inescapable in the first place. In the song’s bridge, the newly liberated protagonist finds herself cast into a working world where the only job she can find is a minimum-wage typing-pool position. It’s a contrast that could be bitter, but it’s met by the jubilation of the chorus, including a backing vocal that functions as a metronome (fitting, given the song’s refrain of “Everything runs right on time”). Maybe not everything is roses, but it’s better than being trapped.
- Blake Shelton’s “God Gave Me You” and Florida Georgia Line’s “Cruise” have both gone double platinum. Shelton’s “Who Are You When I’m Not Looking,” The Band Perry’s “Better Dig Two,” and Toby Keith’s “Beer for My Horses” have also been certified platinum.
- Barbara Mandrell, Ralph Emery, and Crook and Chase are a few of the names that have just been added to George Jones’ final Nashville concert. (Don’t worry, Jeremy Dylan, your call will come.)
- Give a listen to the new Spinney Brothers single, “Grandpa’s Way of Life.”
- And while you’re at it, listen to “Hush Hush,” Pistol Annies’ first single from their upcoming album, Annie Up.
- Darius Rucker’s True Believers album is coming out May 21.
- CMT Edge posted some videos of Striking Matches playing at a SXSW party.
- Dierks Bentley, Lady Antebellum, Keith Urban, and Pitbull have been added to Tim McGraw’s Superstar Summer Night concert special, which is taping next month in Vegas.
- Want to support Song of the Mountains and eat dinner with Ralph Stanley? You’re in luck.
- Peter Cooper’s new Tennessean article is about James “Nick” Nixon, “one of Nashville’s most consequential blues and R&B singers.”
- Jake Owen is hoping to make the leap to headlining arena shows.
- CMT’s Craig Shelburne shares some of his SXSW highlights, including performances by MilkDrive, Daniel Romano, and Turnpike Troubadours.
- Coming out in July through the University Press of Mississippi: Scotty and Elvis: Aboard the Mystery Train, written by Scotty Moore with James L. Dickerson. According to ElvisNews.com, it’s a revised, updated version of the 1997 book That’s Alright, Elvis.
- Bluegrass Today’s Richard Thompson looks at the story behind the song “Jacob’s Dream,” about the Lost Children of the Alleghenies.
- Elizabeth Cook is a delight. Here she is on last night’s Letterman.
- Paige: Oh damn. :( I never commented here and I haven't been listening to any music at all since Thanksgiving (it …
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …