J.J. Cale Passes Away; Willie Nelson Duets Album Due in September; New Music Videos
- J.J. Cale, the Grammy winner who was a pioneer of the “Tulsa Sound,” passed away Friday night at the age of 74. His songs were performed/recorded by the likes of Johnny Cash, Tom Petty, and Waylon Jennings.
- The prolific Willie Nelson will release To All the Girls…, an album of duets with a stable of wonderful female vocalists on September 20. Carrie Underwood, Loretta Lynn, Dolly Parton, Emmylou Harris, Miranda Lambert, and Alison Krauss are just some of the artists involved in the project.
- Guy Clark had a one-sided conversation with Peter Cooper.
- Tim McGraw and Faith Hill have put a second Nashville home up for sale.
- Kacey Musgraves performed “Blowin’ Smoke” for Jay Leno on The Tonight Show.
- Jason Michael Carroll is shipping new single “Close Enough” to radio on August 13.
- Mercury’s Canaan Smith has signed a publishing deal with BMG Chrysalis.
- Dustin Lynch had to be briefly hospitalized for dehydration due to a nasty flu bug.
- Steve Martin and Edie Brickell were on NPR’s World Café this past Friday. You can stream their appearance here.
- Kelly Clarkson’s engagement photos are probably cooler than yours.
- After waiting an hour past the concert’s scheduled start time, a sold-out crowd was turned away from Merle Haggard’s show at the Shooting Star Casino show in Minnesota due to electrical difficulties.
- The Little Nashville Opry is attempting a comeback.
- My Kind of Country gives Joey + Rory’s Inspired: Songs of Faith and Family high marks.
- Charlie Cook writes about the “blossoming” youth demographic listening to country radio and the possible effects.
- Kellie Pickler was in Parade.
- New music videos from the past week or so:
Wynn Varble – “Freak Show”
Sara Storer – “Lovegrass”
Drake White — “The Simple Life”
Carrie Rodriguez – “I Don’t Want To Play House Anymore” (Music Fog)
Kyle Park – “Fit for the King”
New Country Rehab – “Home to You”
Joey + Rory – “Hello Love”
Brynn Marie – “I’m Sorry”
The Court Yard Hounds – “Sunshine”
Keith Urban – “Little Bit of Everything”
Thompson Square – “Everything I Shouldn’t Be Thinking About”
Jimmy Buffet and Toby Keith – “Too Drunk To Karaoke”
Tim McGraw – “Southern Girl”
- Donald: "Ryan Adams announced .... the August 19 release of “1984,'" Which, I'm told, is the fifteen years later update of his …
- Lynchie from Aberdeen: Delighted to hear that Hot Rize have a new album coming out – and thanks for the link to that …
- luckyoldsun: Nobody can do Karaoke George Jones like Kershaw!
- Bruce: LW, Don't apologize for your Bryant comment. You were more gracious than I would have been.
- Bruce: My vote is for Marty Stuart for his exhaustive body of work that is directional yet diversified.
- Leeann: Dang! Let me write my above sentence again!: Kelley MicKwee’s album is sounding good so far too. I really like “Beautiful …
- paul w dennis: The Kershaw album is really noteworthy for its song selections. Other than "I'll Share My World With You", it omits …
- Leeann: The Sammy Kershaw tribute to George Jones is pretty good on first listen. Of course, Sammy's no George, but their …
- Jeremy Dylan: I did a podcast on Joni Mitchell's BLUE album recently and was wondering if there was a good bio of …
- Leeann Ward: Well, that was a mighty unnecessarily flippant comment I just made there and the better angels of my nature make …