J.J. Cale Passes Away; Willie Nelson Duets Album Due in September; New Music Videos
- J.J. Cale, the Grammy winner who was a pioneer of the “Tulsa Sound,” passed away Friday night at the age of 74. His songs were performed/recorded by the likes of Johnny Cash, Tom Petty, and Waylon Jennings.
- The prolific Willie Nelson will release To All the Girls…, an album of duets with a stable of wonderful female vocalists on September 20. Carrie Underwood, Loretta Lynn, Dolly Parton, Emmylou Harris, Miranda Lambert, and Alison Krauss are just some of the artists involved in the project.
- Guy Clark had a one-sided conversation with Peter Cooper.
- Tim McGraw and Faith Hill have put a second Nashville home up for sale.
- Kacey Musgraves performed “Blowin’ Smoke” for Jay Leno on The Tonight Show.
- Jason Michael Carroll is shipping new single “Close Enough” to radio on August 13.
- Mercury’s Canaan Smith has signed a publishing deal with BMG Chrysalis.
- Dustin Lynch had to be briefly hospitalized for dehydration due to a nasty flu bug.
- Steve Martin and Edie Brickell were on NPR’s World Café this past Friday. You can stream their appearance here.
- Kelly Clarkson’s engagement photos are probably cooler than yours.
- After waiting an hour past the concert’s scheduled start time, a sold-out crowd was turned away from Merle Haggard’s show at the Shooting Star Casino show in Minnesota due to electrical difficulties.
- The Little Nashville Opry is attempting a comeback.
- My Kind of Country gives Joey + Rory’s Inspired: Songs of Faith and Family high marks.
- Charlie Cook writes about the “blossoming” youth demographic listening to country radio and the possible effects.
- Kellie Pickler was in Parade.
- New music videos from the past week or so:
Wynn Varble – “Freak Show”
Sara Storer – “Lovegrass”
Drake White — “The Simple Life”
Carrie Rodriguez – “I Don’t Want To Play House Anymore” (Music Fog)
Kyle Park – “Fit for the King”
New Country Rehab – “Home to You”
Joey + Rory – “Hello Love”
Brynn Marie – “I’m Sorry”
The Court Yard Hounds – “Sunshine”
Keith Urban – “Little Bit of Everything”
Thompson Square – “Everything I Shouldn’t Be Thinking About”
Jimmy Buffet and Toby Keith – “Too Drunk To Karaoke”
Tim McGraw – “Southern Girl”
- Applejack: It's not just you, Andrew L. I just listened to the clips on Amazon, and the autotune effect is terrible.
- Andrew L.: Is it just me or does Strait sound horribly autotuned on the clips for the new live album? I can't …
- Juli Thanki: You'll get to hear it pretty soon: The Wall Street Journal is going to stream the album on their website …
- Leeann Ward: Way to go to David Cantwell for getting a name drop! Great interview, Juli! Womack's new album is awesome! I've not always …
- Jonathan Pappalardo: Great interview as always, Juli! The new album is fantastic. "Same Kind of Different" is my favorite cut although "Fly" is …
- Dave D.: Good interview. Looking forward to the new record, and particularly interested in hearing her version of Brennen Leigh's "Sleeping with …
- nm: I guess it's not surprising that a singer who gets her songs all over the place, the way Womack does, …
- SunsetPark: As a Pennsylvanian to this day, thanks for the list. I haven't heard the Quecreek song and so can't …
- Paul W Dennis: I would urge readers to check out the Billy Edd Wheeler salute on October 18, 2014. Billy Edd Wheeler is …
- Leeann Ward: I'm really liking Pink's folk duo song! I'm looking forward to the album!