J.J. Cale Passes Away; Willie Nelson Duets Album Due in September; New Music Videos
- J.J. Cale, the Grammy winner who was a pioneer of the “Tulsa Sound,” passed away Friday night at the age of 74. His songs were performed/recorded by the likes of Johnny Cash, Tom Petty, and Waylon Jennings.
- The prolific Willie Nelson will release To All the Girls…, an album of duets with a stable of wonderful female vocalists on September 20. Carrie Underwood, Loretta Lynn, Dolly Parton, Emmylou Harris, Miranda Lambert, and Alison Krauss are just some of the artists involved in the project.
- Guy Clark had a one-sided conversation with Peter Cooper.
- Tim McGraw and Faith Hill have put a second Nashville home up for sale.
- Kacey Musgraves performed “Blowin’ Smoke” for Jay Leno on The Tonight Show.
- Jason Michael Carroll is shipping new single “Close Enough” to radio on August 13.
- Mercury’s Canaan Smith has signed a publishing deal with BMG Chrysalis.
- Dustin Lynch had to be briefly hospitalized for dehydration due to a nasty flu bug.
- Steve Martin and Edie Brickell were on NPR’s World Café this past Friday. You can stream their appearance here.
- Kelly Clarkson’s engagement photos are probably cooler than yours.
- After waiting an hour past the concert’s scheduled start time, a sold-out crowd was turned away from Merle Haggard’s show at the Shooting Star Casino show in Minnesota due to electrical difficulties.
- The Little Nashville Opry is attempting a comeback.
- My Kind of Country gives Joey + Rory’s Inspired: Songs of Faith and Family high marks.
- Charlie Cook writes about the “blossoming” youth demographic listening to country radio and the possible effects.
- Kellie Pickler was in Parade.
- New music videos from the past week or so:
Wynn Varble – “Freak Show”
Sara Storer – “Lovegrass”
Drake White — “The Simple Life”
Carrie Rodriguez – “I Don’t Want To Play House Anymore” (Music Fog)
Kyle Park – “Fit for the King”
New Country Rehab – “Home to You”
Joey + Rory – “Hello Love”
Brynn Marie – “I’m Sorry”
The Court Yard Hounds – “Sunshine”
Keith Urban – “Little Bit of Everything”
Thompson Square – “Everything I Shouldn’t Be Thinking About”
Jimmy Buffet and Toby Keith – “Too Drunk To Karaoke”
Tim McGraw – “Southern Girl”
- Tom: ...it is almost the year 2015 - ain't it about time we leave people (celebrities included) having the personal relations …
- Paul W Dennis: I had assumed that Herndon was gay after the incident that Lucky Old Sun referenced, but bought the next Herndon …
- Jonathan Pappalardo: For anyone who wants to buy it, the Rosanne Cash 45 is available again. With 1000 copies being created, I …
- luckyoldsun: It seemed that the old morals arrest incident really did Herndon in. He was a pretty big country star before …
- CraigR.: Hopefully in the future being gay or straight won't matter at all. And then people won't have to hide their …
- Bruce: Jim has a remarkable voice for his age. Heck, for any age.
- bob: Good luck to Herndon and Gilman. I've seen Herndon in concert. While I liked his 90's material better, he's still …
- Leeann Ward: It was Brad Paisley and its on his Christmas album.
- luckyoldsun: I seem to recall hearing a recording of the Christmas song "Walking in the Winter Wonderland" where the line "In …
- Leeann Ward: For a slow new Christmas music year, the announcement of the Jamey Johnson Christmas EP and the Christmas tracks by …