J.J. Cale Passes Away; Willie Nelson Duets Album Due in September; New Music Videos
- J.J. Cale, the Grammy winner who was a pioneer of the “Tulsa Sound,” passed away Friday night at the age of 74. His songs were performed/recorded by the likes of Johnny Cash, Tom Petty, and Waylon Jennings.
- The prolific Willie Nelson will release To All the Girls…, an album of duets with a stable of wonderful female vocalists on September 20. Carrie Underwood, Loretta Lynn, Dolly Parton, Emmylou Harris, Miranda Lambert, and Alison Krauss are just some of the artists involved in the project.
- Guy Clark had a one-sided conversation with Peter Cooper.
- Tim McGraw and Faith Hill have put a second Nashville home up for sale.
- Kacey Musgraves performed “Blowin’ Smoke” for Jay Leno on The Tonight Show.
- Jason Michael Carroll is shipping new single “Close Enough” to radio on August 13.
- Mercury’s Canaan Smith has signed a publishing deal with BMG Chrysalis.
- Dustin Lynch had to be briefly hospitalized for dehydration due to a nasty flu bug.
- Steve Martin and Edie Brickell were on NPR’s World Café this past Friday. You can stream their appearance here.
- Kelly Clarkson’s engagement photos are probably cooler than yours.
- After waiting an hour past the concert’s scheduled start time, a sold-out crowd was turned away from Merle Haggard’s show at the Shooting Star Casino show in Minnesota due to electrical difficulties.
- The Little Nashville Opry is attempting a comeback.
- My Kind of Country gives Joey + Rory’s Inspired: Songs of Faith and Family high marks.
- Charlie Cook writes about the “blossoming” youth demographic listening to country radio and the possible effects.
- Kellie Pickler was in Parade.
- New music videos from the past week or so:
Wynn Varble – “Freak Show”
Sara Storer – “Lovegrass”
Drake White — “The Simple Life”
Carrie Rodriguez – “I Don’t Want To Play House Anymore” (Music Fog)
Kyle Park – “Fit for the King”
New Country Rehab – “Home to You”
Joey + Rory – “Hello Love”
Brynn Marie – “I’m Sorry”
The Court Yard Hounds – “Sunshine”
Keith Urban – “Little Bit of Everything”
Thompson Square – “Everything I Shouldn’t Be Thinking About”
Jimmy Buffet and Toby Keith – “Too Drunk To Karaoke”
Tim McGraw – “Southern Girl”
- Paige: Oh damn. :( I never commented here and I haven't been listening to any music at all since Thanksgiving (it …
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …