Isbell Plays Conan; London Cowboys Stage Line Dance Protest; Album Releases
- Get the story behind Curly Putnam’s Green Green Grass of Home.” Is there a sadder twist ending in country music than the one in this song?
- Jason Isbell performed “Flying Over Water” on Conan last night. Isbell also sang “Different Days” for CMT Edge.
- Here’s your first look at Carrie Underwood as Maria in The Sound of Music.
- Henry Carrigan did a fine interview with Linda Ronstadt.
- On what would have been Hank Williams’ 90th birthday, stream Joey Allcorn’s “The Death of Hank Williams.”
- Shovels & Rope played a Tiny Desk Concert.
- Roger Cook will be celebrated by the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum as part of their Poets & Prophets series. Cook co-wrote songs like “I Just Want to Dance with You” and the insanely catchy jingle “Buy the World a Coke.”
- Starting next Tuesday, a trio of bluegrass e-books will be available for $2.99 for a limited time.
- Brian Mansfield wrote a feature on Chris Young for USA Today. (warning: autoplay)
- The Avett Brothers discuss their new song, “Another Is Waiting,” in a new video.
- The 615 premiered Billy Currington’s new video.
- The Devil Makes Three played “Walk On Boy” for Live & Breathing.
- A group of protesters dressed as cowboys and cowgirls danced outside a few London radio stations in an attempt to get more country music on UK radio.
- Senator Lamar Alexander donated the original “Tennessee Waltz” manuscript to the University of Tennessee.
- Tim McGraw is about to start shooting a Disney film; Tomorrowland will also star George Clooney.
- This week’s album releases (thanks for buying your music through our affiliate links; it doesn’t cost you extra, but helps us keep the lights on):
Band of Heathens – Sunday Morning Record
Del McCoury Band – The Streets of Baltimore
Chris Young – A.M.
Tim O’Brien & Darrell Scott – Memories and Moments
Tony Joe White – Hoodoo
Kellye Gray – And, They Call Us Cowboys: The Texas Music Project
Garland Jeffreys – Truth Serum
Pete Anderson – Birds Above Guitarland
Audrey Auld – Tonk
Fats Kaplin – The Fatman Cometh & World of Wonder
Justin Moore – Off the Beaten Path
Billy Currington – We Are Tonight
Darin & Brooke Aldridge – Flying
Zachary Lucky – The Ballad of Losing You
Mark Pickerel & His Praying Hands – Tess
Mike Beck – Tribute
Left Lane Cruiser – Rock Them Back to Hell
Twin Forks – Twin Forks EP
Kendall Beard – All Around Girl
Kenny Feinstein – Loveless: Hurts to Love (My Bloody Valentine tribute record)
Various Artists – High Cotton: A Tribute to Alabama
- Erik North: Caitlin Rose has become one of my favorite female singers of any genre in this century; and I think her …
- Erik North: Re. Jason Aldean and the whole "Bro Country" thing: He and just about everybody in that misbegotten fad copy one …
- luckyoldsun: Something tells me I won't be able to buy Honey Pils on tap in "I Love This Bar"--but they'll have …
- Cheryl: Hokies football!
- Chad: My favorite part of autumn is chilly nights.
- luckyoldsun: Plowboy Records put out a great release from Bobby Bare last year--"Darker Than Light." It was as good as Johnny …
- bruce: Jim Ed Brown can still sing, and better than some modern-day tune throwers. CraigR - Can't disagree with any of your …
- Paul W Dennis: They are an interesting group. This song sounds more jazzy (Andrews Sisters, Puppini Sisiter, Ingrid Lucia) but for a folkier …
- Barry Mazor: What the "Americana" term brings to mind, by this point, is a matter of time and marketing. Like all …
- Paul W Dennis: I loved the Jerry Douglas interview and love the ideas behind his two concept albums Unfortunately I never had the opportunity …