Isbell Plays Conan; London Cowboys Stage Line Dance Protest; Album Releases
- Get the story behind Curly Putnam’s Green Green Grass of Home.” Is there a sadder twist ending in country music than the one in this song?
- Jason Isbell performed “Flying Over Water” on Conan last night. Isbell also sang “Different Days” for CMT Edge.
- Here’s your first look at Carrie Underwood as Maria in The Sound of Music.
- Henry Carrigan did a fine interview with Linda Ronstadt.
- On what would have been Hank Williams’ 90th birthday, stream Joey Allcorn’s “The Death of Hank Williams.”
- Shovels & Rope played a Tiny Desk Concert.
- Roger Cook will be celebrated by the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum as part of their Poets & Prophets series. Cook co-wrote songs like “I Just Want to Dance with You” and the insanely catchy jingle “Buy the World a Coke.”
- Starting next Tuesday, a trio of bluegrass e-books will be available for $2.99 for a limited time.
- Brian Mansfield wrote a feature on Chris Young for USA Today. (warning: autoplay)
- The Avett Brothers discuss their new song, “Another Is Waiting,” in a new video.
- The 615 premiered Billy Currington’s new video.
- The Devil Makes Three played “Walk On Boy” for Live & Breathing.
- A group of protesters dressed as cowboys and cowgirls danced outside a few London radio stations in an attempt to get more country music on UK radio.
- Senator Lamar Alexander donated the original “Tennessee Waltz” manuscript to the University of Tennessee.
- Tim McGraw is about to start shooting a Disney film; Tomorrowland will also star George Clooney.
- This week’s album releases (thanks for buying your music through our affiliate links; it doesn’t cost you extra, but helps us keep the lights on):
Band of Heathens – Sunday Morning Record
Del McCoury Band – The Streets of Baltimore
Chris Young – A.M.
Tim O’Brien & Darrell Scott – Memories and Moments
Tony Joe White – Hoodoo
Kellye Gray – And, They Call Us Cowboys: The Texas Music Project
Garland Jeffreys – Truth Serum
Pete Anderson – Birds Above Guitarland
Audrey Auld – Tonk
Fats Kaplin – The Fatman Cometh & World of Wonder
Justin Moore – Off the Beaten Path
Billy Currington – We Are Tonight
Darin & Brooke Aldridge – Flying
Zachary Lucky – The Ballad of Losing You
Mark Pickerel & His Praying Hands – Tess
Mike Beck – Tribute
Left Lane Cruiser – Rock Them Back to Hell
Twin Forks – Twin Forks EP
Kendall Beard – All Around Girl
Kenny Feinstein – Loveless: Hurts to Love (My Bloody Valentine tribute record)
Various Artists – High Cotton: A Tribute to Alabama
- bob: Enjoyed the articles on the story behind "When She Cries" and the dearth of women on Canadian Country radio. Thanks. …
- Saving Country Music: Everything that came out in Friday's assessment of Studio 'A' by the developer was stuff we already knew. The only …
- bob: Thanks Barry. Just reserved the Adam Gussow book. Sounds interesting.
- Barry Mazor: It may be over-stated, in arriving at practically a single explanation of everything, but Adam Gussow's book on lynching and …
- Leeann: Wow! Heavy topic and horrifying indeed! "Beer for My Horses" was all fun and games until that reference, I'll have …
- Barry Mazor: Everything else aside, the way that reporter fills us in, with must-have, pointless generational snark included, about who this "Little …
- luckyoldsun: "The Night The Lights Went Out in Georgia" seems to be about a lynching--even if there's something about a judge …
- Arlene: Sorry. I meant to give the link for "Supper Time." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZ58Kfe41kI
- Arlene: Another song sung by Ethel Waters: Irving Berlin's "Supper Time"
- bob: Powerful songs. I read the book "A Lynching in the Heartland" by James H. Madison about a dozen years ago. …