Isbell Plays Conan; London Cowboys Stage Line Dance Protest; Album Releases
- Get the story behind Curly Putnam’s Green Green Grass of Home.” Is there a sadder twist ending in country music than the one in this song?
- Jason Isbell performed “Flying Over Water” on Conan last night. Isbell also sang “Different Days” for CMT Edge.
- Here’s your first look at Carrie Underwood as Maria in The Sound of Music.
- Henry Carrigan did a fine interview with Linda Ronstadt.
- On what would have been Hank Williams’ 90th birthday, stream Joey Allcorn’s “The Death of Hank Williams.”
- Shovels & Rope played a Tiny Desk Concert.
- Roger Cook will be celebrated by the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum as part of their Poets & Prophets series. Cook co-wrote songs like “I Just Want to Dance with You” and the insanely catchy jingle “Buy the World a Coke.”
- Starting next Tuesday, a trio of bluegrass e-books will be available for $2.99 for a limited time.
- Brian Mansfield wrote a feature on Chris Young for USA Today. (warning: autoplay)
- The Avett Brothers discuss their new song, “Another Is Waiting,” in a new video.
- The 615 premiered Billy Currington’s new video.
- The Devil Makes Three played “Walk On Boy” for Live & Breathing.
- A group of protesters dressed as cowboys and cowgirls danced outside a few London radio stations in an attempt to get more country music on UK radio.
- Senator Lamar Alexander donated the original “Tennessee Waltz” manuscript to the University of Tennessee.
- Tim McGraw is about to start shooting a Disney film; Tomorrowland will also star George Clooney.
- This week’s album releases (thanks for buying your music through our affiliate links; it doesn’t cost you extra, but helps us keep the lights on):
Band of Heathens – Sunday Morning Record
Del McCoury Band – The Streets of Baltimore
Chris Young – A.M.
Tim O’Brien & Darrell Scott – Memories and Moments
Tony Joe White – Hoodoo
Kellye Gray – And, They Call Us Cowboys: The Texas Music Project
Garland Jeffreys – Truth Serum
Pete Anderson – Birds Above Guitarland
Audrey Auld – Tonk
Fats Kaplin – The Fatman Cometh & World of Wonder
Justin Moore – Off the Beaten Path
Billy Currington – We Are Tonight
Darin & Brooke Aldridge – Flying
Zachary Lucky – The Ballad of Losing You
Mark Pickerel & His Praying Hands – Tess
Mike Beck – Tribute
Left Lane Cruiser – Rock Them Back to Hell
Twin Forks – Twin Forks EP
Kendall Beard – All Around Girl
Kenny Feinstein – Loveless: Hurts to Love (My Bloody Valentine tribute record)
Various Artists – High Cotton: A Tribute to Alabama
- nm: Does anyone know whatever became of the album that Shelby Lynne and Allison Moorer were going to do together?
- luckyoldsun: I'm not surprised. Artists who can't get seem to get a satisfactory deal with a commercial label always say how …
- Jack Williams: I'm a little surprised to hear of Shelby Lynne signing with another label, even if it is Rounder. She …
- A.B.: THREE new albums from Sturgill next year?! I'm excited for that!
- Keith Samuels: I can't wait to listen to the entire recording. What a treasure.
- numberonecountryfan: She did say the version of “How Do I Live” is the “country” version which was previously released to radio …
- bll: I'm happy for any new music from Trisha. I hope MCA doesn't decide to repackage her old stuff and release …
- Barry Mazor: I know for a fact that most of the album was recorded fresh and new with Garth Fundis some months …
- luckyoldsun: Michael, From the way it's being promoted, with Yearwood announcing a new label and a new album and with The Tennessean …
- Linda Salmons: Whoaa!!!! Makes the hair stand up on the back of my neck. Beautiful tone and nuance - unmistakably Auldridge.