Inaugural Chicks With Picks Music Fest Celebrates Women In Music
- Michelle Branch, Sarah Buxton and Jessi Colter are among the women set to perform at the inaugural Chicks with Picks Music Fest on March 21 in Tempe, Ariz.
- Beginning April 16, Jo Dee Messina will be going on a five-week Music Room Series tour, with acoustic performances and the stories behind her hits.
- Craig Shelburne shared his 10 favorite Americana albums, like Ryan Adams‘ Heartbreaker and Patty Griffin‘s 1000 Kisses, and in the process gave curious music fans a place to get a foothold in the broad genre.
- Lucinda Williams riffs on her household possessions, superstitions and mementos in an interview with The New York Time‘s Edward Lewine.
Misconception about songwriting: That you have to be all messed up and strung out or something to be good at it. We’ve decided that brilliance equals madness, and that isn’t necessarily true. It’s just that the dramatic writers have the higher profile.
- Watch as Texas Red Dirt Roads host Justin Frazell takes a tour of Stoney LaRue‘s bus and interviews the singer about road life.
- Song:Illinois posted a two-song preview for Austin honky-tonkers Heybale, who will be playing showcases at SXSW. If you’ll recall, their latest album, The Last Country Album, appeared on Brady’s list of “Overlooked Albums of 2008.” (via The Gobblers Knob)
- Nineties country singer Jeff Carson graduated from the Tennessee State Police Academy in December and is now a full-time police officer for the city of Franklin, Tenn.
- Country Universe’s Kevin J. Coyne listed his top 25 favorite George Strait songs.
- Miss Leslie offers advice on dealing with critics and Jack Ingram considers pulling a prank on Toby Keith in the latest edition of Country California‘s “Quotable Country.”
- The less ostentatious half of Big & Rich, Big Kenny Alphin, is headed to a remote Caribbean island to lick his wounds and drink himself into oblivion. That’s the description for a new movie that will feature Alphin, and no, it’s not a biopic on Kenny Chesney. Titled Free Like Me, the drama will begin production in mid-April in Nashville and the Dominican Republic. (via NashvilleGab)
- Country Radio Broadcasters plans to post full-length panel videos from CRS-40 to their website for free.
- From the Country California satire department: The estate of the late Johnny Cash approved a licensing deal with Blairex Laboratories, the makers of a new ass cream.
- If Americana has a defining song at the moment, the Too Old To Rock & Roll…To Young To Die blog says it’s “Ellis County” from Buddy & Julie Miller‘s album Written In Chalk, which is due out tomorrow.
- Owen Temple will be posting a new song from his upcoming album to his MySpace each week in March. This week’s song is “Black Diamond.” (via Twitter)
- Michael A.: Has anyone else had a difficult time trying to get the free download from the Reba site?
- Dave D.: I can't believe that I never saw the Willie Nelson Monk episode - and it was a Sharona episode, as …
- nm: Taylor Swift was on CSI once. Not only was Steve Earle on The Wire, in one episode Omar quoted him about …
- Barry Mazor: It's only a slight stretch to recall when Jimmy Dean met James Bond: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbwDGtj84YY
- Arlene: I suspect you'll also be including an episode of L.A. Law....
- luckyoldsun: The Johnny Cash episode was the one Columbo case where you really felt "the b--- had it coming."
- A.B.: Janice - I saw that too and sent him a Tweet about it.
- Janice Brooks: Peter Cooper needs an edit. Stringbean did not die in 1964.
- Leeann: I can't contribute to this list, but I did think of Steve Earle and The Wire. It's not my …
- Jeremy Dylan: That was a great episode of Monk. The "Georgia On My Mind" scene is just heartbreaking.