Inaugural Chicks With Picks Music Fest Celebrates Women In Music
- Michelle Branch, Sarah Buxton and Jessi Colter are among the women set to perform at the inaugural Chicks with Picks Music Fest on March 21 in Tempe, Ariz.
- Beginning April 16, Jo Dee Messina will be going on a five-week Music Room Series tour, with acoustic performances and the stories behind her hits.
- Craig Shelburne shared his 10 favorite Americana albums, like Ryan Adams‘ Heartbreaker and Patty Griffin‘s 1000 Kisses, and in the process gave curious music fans a place to get a foothold in the broad genre.
- Lucinda Williams riffs on her household possessions, superstitions and mementos in an interview with The New York Time‘s Edward Lewine.
Misconception about songwriting: That you have to be all messed up and strung out or something to be good at it. We’ve decided that brilliance equals madness, and that isn’t necessarily true. It’s just that the dramatic writers have the higher profile.
- Watch as Texas Red Dirt Roads host Justin Frazell takes a tour of Stoney LaRue‘s bus and interviews the singer about road life.
- Song:Illinois posted a two-song preview for Austin honky-tonkers Heybale, who will be playing showcases at SXSW. If you’ll recall, their latest album, The Last Country Album, appeared on Brady’s list of “Overlooked Albums of 2008.” (via The Gobblers Knob)
- Nineties country singer Jeff Carson graduated from the Tennessee State Police Academy in December and is now a full-time police officer for the city of Franklin, Tenn.
- Country Universe’s Kevin J. Coyne listed his top 25 favorite George Strait songs.
- Miss Leslie offers advice on dealing with critics and Jack Ingram considers pulling a prank on Toby Keith in the latest edition of Country California‘s “Quotable Country.”
- The less ostentatious half of Big & Rich, Big Kenny Alphin, is headed to a remote Caribbean island to lick his wounds and drink himself into oblivion. That’s the description for a new movie that will feature Alphin, and no, it’s not a biopic on Kenny Chesney. Titled Free Like Me, the drama will begin production in mid-April in Nashville and the Dominican Republic. (via NashvilleGab)
- Country Radio Broadcasters plans to post full-length panel videos from CRS-40 to their website for free.
- From the Country California satire department: The estate of the late Johnny Cash approved a licensing deal with Blairex Laboratories, the makers of a new ass cream.
- If Americana has a defining song at the moment, the Too Old To Rock & Roll…To Young To Die blog says it’s “Ellis County” from Buddy & Julie Miller‘s album Written In Chalk, which is due out tomorrow.
- Owen Temple will be posting a new song from his upcoming album to his MySpace each week in March. This week’s song is “Black Diamond.” (via Twitter)
- Tom: ...good idea, a george jones museum in nashville. is there a building tall enough for a voice and a career …
- mrsandy: Also worth noting: Priscilla Mitchell was Jerry Reed's widow.
- Leeann Ward: Wow! My heart goes out to Allison Moorer. She's had so many terrible things happen in her life. It's too …
- Leeann Ward: I must have this audio book!
- Juli Thanki: Ha! Same thing happened at Sturgill Simpson's show I went to last month, only he was singing "I Never Go …
- Dave D.: On the topic of Lee Ann and dark songs, the funniest moment at this year's Americana Fest was during her …
- Jonathan Pappalardo: I love Lori McKenna. Coming from Massachusetts, she's our local girl. I've been fortunate to see her in concert a …
- bll: I suss her re-recording her hits for 'Gwendolen records' means she can stop MCA from releasing her hits against her.
- Greg Judy: Cooler festivals and marching bands at the football games!
- kevin ilinger: Fall colors bluegrass and apple cider