In Second Week, Tim McGraw’s The Blind Side Keeps Pace With Twilight: New Moon
- The Blind Side, starring Sandra Bullock and Tim McGraw, nearly knocked off teen vamp flick Twilight: New Moon as the weekend’s top box office earner. New Moon pulled in $42.5 million, just a handful more than The Blind Side, which grossed $40 million. Both films are in their second week.
- The Hollywood Reporter on Crazy Heart, an upcoming film about a down-and-out, aging country singer:
“Had this film appeared later at Sundance, you would have the pleasure of discovering a fine performance by Jeff Bridges in an otherwise unremarkable movie. But with his best actor candidacy already announced, you start to notice his uncanny resemblance to Kris Kristofferson and speculate about how much this performance derives from Rip Torn’s still-memorable turn as a ruthlessly self-absorbed country singer in the 1973 film ‘Payday.’”
- Aaron Tippin is currently undertaking his “seventh or eighth” trip to perform for U.S. forces in Iraq.
- New York Daily News writer David Hinckley thinks Carrie Underwood’s song choice is getting bland:
“Since the industry realized a few years back that it would attract more baby-boom-era fans with safe rock-guitar riffs than with pedal steel, country writers and producers have developed a winning formula that, unfortunately, just doesn’t have much distinction.
Underwood is the perfect vehicle for this sound, since she comes out of the “American Idol” machine, which teaches presentation, packaging and the importance of servicing the mainstream.”
- Sugarland will perform with Jennifer Hudson on today’s broadcast of Oprah, while Tim McGraw will perform with Alecia Keys.
- The Las Vegas Sun reports that booking agents have had trouble bringing high-profile country acts in to Sin City for this year’s National Finals Rodeo:
“A lot of the big country acts have priced themselves out of the business,” said the agent, who asked not to be named. “These guys come in, two or three at a time, with million-dollar budgets, and the resorts can’t afford them.”
- Country Universe has kicked off it’s list of the top 100 Album of the Decade. The 9513 will begin its countdown in the coming days.
- A.B.: I think I understand why the eating disorder facility wants to be located there besides it being the former Cash …
- Janice Brooks: Hopes somebody gets those memos about drinking songs. Meanwhile I'm feeling a lot of slots with Bluegrass.
- Leeann: Great news about Ricky Skaggs and Sharon White's duet album! Absolutely appalling about the Keith Urban concert!! Both the rape and …
- bob: I found the Billboard article about country music radio needing an alcohol intervention interesting. Songwriter Adam Wright is quoted as …
- Matt: Definitely agree with C.M. about Maddie & Tae. Certainly not the tidal wave of change some claimed it is or …
- Dave D.: Good stuff, as always. My copy of Producing Country arrived yesterday, and it looks to be as good as …
- Scooter: I agree Holly Williams can do no wrong in my eyes. Such a good album and great to see live …
- Carrie Mclaughlin: Your my Hero Mr. Jim Lauderdale!!! Come to Alaska Please? hehehehe
- Jeremy Dylan: You should check it out Dave D. It's from the first (and strongest) season.
- Leeann: Wow! I love that Holly William's cover of "No Surrender"! She's gotten to be so good.