Iconic Kristofferson; Dierks Bentley Tops Charts; Joe Ely Shares Sign Collection
- BMI will honor Kris Kristofferson as a music icon during its awards show in November.
New releases for the week of June 30, 2009 include:
Queens of Country (DVD)
- Dierks Bentley scored his second consecutive number one and seventh overall on Billboard‘s Country Singles Chart with “Sideways.”
- In a Q&A with Craig Shelburne, Tanya Tucker talked about the appeal of singing men’s songs and how she prepared for her new album.
- Alan Jackson is selling his six bedroom, 19,000 square-feet Sweetbriar property for a cool $38,000,000.
- SHeDaisy lead singer Kassidy Osborn and Lady Antebellum‘s Charles Kelley were both recently married, but not to each other.
- The problem with the covers on Levon Helm‘s new album Electric Dirt is that they all pale in comparison to the originals, but Austin Music Source’s Michael Corcoran says two original tunes, “Growing Trade” and “When I Go Away,” save the record.
- But wait, Steve Morse says it’s the covers that shine.
- Check out Joe Ely‘s collection of signs from homeless people, the first of which he bought in the mid-70s for five dollars.
- New label Stoney Creek Records signed Ash Bowers (MySpace).
- Country Universe: Who are the icons in country music that could command the same attention as Wynette and Cash, or perhaps even Jackson, when their road comes to an end?
- Rhapsody released an exclusive live version of Taylor Swift covering Tom Petty‘s “American Girl.”
- The Tennessean‘s Cindy Watts has an interview with Brad Paisley and Chris DuBois about the process behind, and inspiration for, Paisley’s new album, American Saturday Night.
“You’re going to get to know more of Brad Paisley,” he says. “He explores lyrically, sonically and musically different areas than we’ve had in the past, and I think it’s a complete album. It’s a musical journey where there’s a beginning a middle and an end. You just feel that.”
- USA Today‘s Brian Mansfield echoes the notion that American Saturday Night is a complete album: “…is the first to feel like a full set of songs instead of some radio hits, guitar instrumentals, gospel songs and comedy bits crammed together.”
- Ricky Skaggs credits photography and other creative endeavors with making him a better musician. He’ll headline the second installment of this year’s Bluegrass Nights At The Ryman series with his band Kentucky Thunder on July 2.
- The new blog Allen’s Archive kicked off with seven volumes of vinyl rips from Bradley Kincaid, who you might remember from Paul’s Forgotten Artists feature last August.
- Update: Today is the last day to enter for the Keith Urban/KC Masterpiece/Kingsford giveaway.
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.