IBMA Award Winners Announced; Tommy Wells Passes Away; Avett Brothers Tape PBS Show

Juli Thanki | September 27th, 2013

  • The IBMA Awards were last night. Here are the winners:

Hall of Fame Inductees: Tony Rice and Paul Warren

Entertainer of the Year: The Gibson Brothers

Album of the Year: Balsam Range, Papertown

Instrumental Group of the Year: The Boxcars

Vocal Group of the Year: The Gibson Brothers

Song of the Year: The Gibson Brothers, “They Called It Music”

Gospel Recorded Event of the Year: Marty Raybon, “Beulah Land”

Recorded Event of the Year: Terry Baucom & Sam Bush, “What’ll I Do?”

Bass Player of the Year: Barry Bales

Mandolin Player of the Year: Adam Steffey

Guitar Player of the Year: Bryan Sutton

Banjo Player of the Year: Mike Munford

Fiddle Player of the Year: Jason Carter

Dobro Player of the Year: Rob Ickes

Female Vocalist of the Year: Claire Lynch

Male Vocalist of the Year: Junior Sisk

Emerging Artist: Della Mae

Instrumental Performance of the Year: “Foggy Mountain Rock,” Tom Adams, Dan Tyminski, Ron Stewart, Dennis Crouch, Clay Hess, Randy Kohrs; written by Louise Certain, Burkett Graves & Gladys Stacey; Rounder Records.

Songwriter of the Year: Eric Gibson

Broadcaster of the Year: Ronnie Reno

Print Media Person of the Year: Fred Bartenstein

Best Liner Notes for a Recorded Project: Fred Bartenstein for Joe Mullins and The Radio Ramblers’ They’re Playing My Song

Best Graphic Design for a Recorded Project: Carl Jackson, Dak Alley, Jimmy Mets for Carl Jackson’s Grace Note

Event of the Year: Bill Monroe Bean Blossom Bluegrass Festival

  • Tony Rice’s Hall of Fame induction speech was incredibly moving as he revealed the work he’s been doing to recover his voice.
  • A somewhat-depressing quote from an article on the National Recording Preservation Foundation written by William Hochberg (The Atlantic): “Less than 18 percent of commercial music archives are currently available” through iTunes, Spotify and other legal portals, [NRPF Executive Director Gerald Seligman] says. “We’re concerned with the other 82 percent languishing out there somewhere, that’s culturally important while maybe not commercially viable.” 
  • Slate published an excellent excerpt from David Cantwell’s Merle Haggard book, The Running Kind. Music Tomes posted an interview with Cantwell this morning; he reveals that his next project is a book on Ray Charles.
  • Rod Picott released a new video and a couple songs from his forthcoming record, which is due out in February.
  • Clay Walker’s in a new movie that’s set during the French & Indian War.
  • There’s an interview with Hank III on the Houston Press music blog.
  • Kenny Rogers: singer, actor, chicken mogul, life coach.
  • Willie Nelson’s recovered enough from his shoulder injury to perform at Zac Brown’s Southern Ground shindig in Nashville this weekend.
  • Jennifer Nettles will host this year’s CMA Country Christmas ABC special. Kellie Pickler, Trace Adkins, Luke Bryan, Jake Owen, and Darius Rucker are a few of the acts scheduled to appear on the program, which will be taped in early November.
  • Zoe Muth & The Lost High Rollers played “Mama Needs a Margarita” during their WAMU Bluegrass Country in-studio. Email it to your mom. She deserves a drink.

  1. Janice Brooks
    September 27, 2013 at 10:26 am

    Was in a facebook chat the other day about Leroy Van Dykes “Walk On By” Was thinking it should be on either the NRPF or the grammy list.

    On a related note, Kitty Wells recording of “It Wasn’t God Who Made Honky Tonk Angels was mentioned during the Paul Warren comments last night.

  2. Rick
    September 27, 2013 at 3:17 pm

    Speaking of Leroy van Dyke, he will be performing on tonight’s Opry and he’s still got it! Last time he explained the story behind “The Auctioneer” and hopefully he will do it again tonight. Other artists scheduled for tonight include Ralph Stanley, Darius Rucker, Joe Diffie, Amos Lee, Craig Morgan, Mel Tillis, Marty Stuart, Lauren Alaina, Connie Smith and Opry Regulars Jim Ed Brown and Jeannie Seely. That is one heck of a line-up! Grade: A!
    Opry Schedule: http://www.opry.com/shows/ThisWeek.html

    I watched and listened to the IBMA Awards show last night except for a half hour segment when I lost the connection! Crikey! I was really glad to see the Gibson Brothers win the awards they did and don’t much care about the rest of those folks. I was quite disappointed to see Della Mae beat out the far more deserving Flatt Lonesome for the “Emerging Artist” award. Flatt Lonesome will be thriving long after the members of Della Mae have become “Women’s Studies” professors at Ivy League colleges. I’m guessing it’s a political correctness reward since “the US State Department selected Della Mae to be America’s cultural ambassadors to Pakistan, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan and Uzbekistan. The band calls it their “‘Stan Tour.” What a load of crap…

    When you consider the tiny percentage of great songs contained within that 18% that is available for download, maybe not having the other 82% accessible isn’t such a loss after all.

    Zoe Muth is one of the most laid back person’s I’ve ever met! (lol) Go Zoe!

  3. Daniel
    September 30, 2013 at 1:40 pm

    Fred Bartenstein’s liner notes for They’re Playing My Song was by the band Joe Mullins & The Radio Ramblers, not Junior Sisk & Rambler’s Choice.

    Joe and Junior do, however, have a new album coming out later this month which is a tribute to the Bluegrass Hall of Fame!

    • Juli Thanki
      September 30, 2013 at 1:53 pm

      Whoops, you are correct, Daniel. Sometimes I wish my keyboard would not function until I build up sufficient levels of caffeine in my bloodstream. Apologies to Fred, Joe, et al.

Tagged In This Article

// // // // // // // // // // // // // // // // // // // // // // // // // // // // // // // // // // // // // // // // // // // // // // // // // // // // // // // //

Current Discussion

  • Leeann Ward: I was just thinking that I wished Clare Bowen and Sam Palladio would make an album together. I haven't watched …
  • bob: Enjoyed the Himes article on classic baseball songs. Thanks. Himes also mentioned some books. To those he noted I would …
  • luckyoldsun: Well it probably wasn't Larry Gatlin.
  • A.B.: Anyone else think Marty Stuart might be part of Lakehouse Holdings that bought the Johnny Cash/Barry Gibb property?
  • David Cantwell: Thanks, Andrew. It almost seems inevitable that the greatest singers--Sinatra and George Jones, say--just don't sing so well at the …
  • Andrew: Very well put. I don't remember the last time an album gave me chills right from the opening note quite …
  • TX Music Jim: All valid choices. I will forever hold out the hope that Gram Parsons, Jerry Jeff Walker and Gary Stewart will …
  • Leeann Ward: Oops...the link: http://www.engine145.com/summer-lovin-ronnie-milsap-looks-back-new-album/
  • Leeann Ward: Yes, great choices for inductees! In Milsap's case, I guess if you say it to Juli Thanki, it will happen!:): Do …
  • Paul W Dennis: Delighted to see "The Voice With A Heart" being inducted - he is my all-time favorite bluegrass vocalist. Hank Cochran …

Recently Reviewed Albums

  • raypricebeautyis
  • rodneycrowelltarpapersky
  • rhondavincentonlyme
  • mandybgibson
  • paulburchfevers
  • kelliepicklerwomaniam
  • ronblockwalkingsong
  • lindiortegatinstar