Hot Club of Cowtown to Release Bob Wills Tribute; Snoop Dogg Weighs In On Willie
- Hot Club of Cowtown plans to pay tribute to the music of Bob Wills with a new album, due out Feb. 1, titled What Makes Bob Holler.
- The Washington Post‘s Chris Richards profiled Merle Haggard. (via CMT)
- Elizabeth Cook, Taylor Swift, and Jamey Johnson got nods from Rolling Stone in its list for the best albums of 2010.
- Even with the American Country Awards, FOX wasn’t able to lure enough viewers to beat out shows like How I Met Your Mother and Two and a Half Men.
- The Eli Young Band got a little extra attention after lead singer Mike Eli momentarily forgot the words to “The Star-Spangled Banner” before Sunday’s Chiefs-Broncos games.
- NPR: Jim Lauderdale on World Cafe | Jimmy Webb on Mountain Stage
- Here’s video of Ashton Shepherd performing her new single acoustically (skip to 1:50 for the beginning of the song).
- Our Country’s Chris Willman suggests Blake Shelton as a host for next year’s American Country Awards and thinks the show should make an effort to out-Golden-Globe the Golden Globes:
Adkins wouldn’t be anyone’s idea of a smooth host, but that was the idea, and his no-nonsense manner led to the show’s most spontaneous moments—which afforded a glimpse of how much fun the telecast could be if it let down its hair, handed out some drinks, and tried to become the Golden Globes of country awards instead of just a rush of random performance slots.
- Nashville’s annual Tin Pan South Songwriters Festival is scheduled for March 29 through April 2 next year.
- Spin’s list of “The 40 Best Albums of 2010″ includes Jamey Johnson‘s The Guitar Song at No. 5.
- Country California Fake News: Ray Price, Connie Smith Big Winners at American Country Awards
- That Nashville Sound’s Top 100 Songs Of 2010
- Songwriter Dallas Frazier will be honored by the Country Music Hall of Fame on Saturday in the next edition of its Poets and Prophets: Legendary Country Songwriters series.
- Don’t forget about the Adam Carroll and Michael O’Connor album Hard Times, which was released earlier this year.
- Snoop Dogg weighed in on the recent Willie Nelson arrest:
“Sometimes you need to back up off of certain people and have a certain amount of respect for your elders. And Willie Nelson is our elder … If you got a problem with Willie Nelson, you got a problem with me.”
- Need a gift for an Opry fan? Check out Tune Town Trivia: The Grand Ole Opry’s Ultimate Country Music Trivia Book.
Here’s a video of Drew Kennedy performing “The Captain and the Highway,” a song that’ll appear on his next album.
- Emily: Wow!! Fabulous! Love those boots and you all look stunning! xo
- Leeann Ward: Bangor is named somewhat commonly in country songs. It's usually their example of the most north you can go: Vince …
- bob: Portland West was almost Boston West. From Names on the Land by George Stewart: "When more people arrived in Oregon, Amos …
- Jack Williams: There's "Eight More Miles To Louisville", where Portland is referred to as Portland East.
- nm: Of course, Bangor is also mentioned in "I've Been Everywhere."
- Stuart Munro: As if that's what this discussion is doing, Barry. I'm for the online commenters thinking about and discussing the music …
- bob: Agree on King of the Road. There's another song that mentions Maine, "A Tombstone Every Mile" recorded by Dick Curless …
- Barry Mazor: I'm sure there are many ways to lasso in and constrict any genre or format, any of them, so …
- Stuart Munro: I'm not sure that there hasn't been a shift in the meaning of the term "Americana" as originally used and …
- luckyoldsun: Given that the word "Americana" is a fairly common word that has been in use for decades--generally used to describe …