HoF to Hold “Women of West Coast Country” Panel; Download Rayna Gellert, Buddy Miller & Jim Lauderdale Songs; Album Releases
- Here’s a New York Times article about Darden Smith’s SongwritingWith:Soldiers retreat, which helps veterans find some healing through writing: Staff Sgt. Eustacio Obregon, who deployed four times to Iraq as a petroleum supply specialist, composed a song with Sergeants McRae and Josh Hartman, 43, about firefights, friends who were killed in battle and repeat deployments. “This is a way to open up a little more about what we’ve been through,” Sergeant Obregon, 38, said. “This song is something that’s mine, this is my life. I can bring this song home and play it for my kids, and they can understand what I’ve been through.” Karen Vandiver, a psychotherapist who works with veterans and soldiers, helped select those who attended the camp. Most of them have post-traumatic stress disorder. “Songwriting is very healing, and it needs the same focus as psychotherapy,” Ms. Vandiver said. “When you focus on your issue in an intense way, you get insight and often closure.”
- American Songwriter profiled another organization, which can be found at WarriorSongs.org, which aims to “transform the destructive experience of war and its effects on those who serve into something meaningful and universal, allowing veterans to reclaim their joy and hope.”
- Panel discussion “California Angels: Women of West Coast Country,” featuring Jean Shepard, Rose Lee Maphis, Rosie Flores, Lorrie Collins, and Kay Adams will be held at the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum on December 15.
- Willie Nelson was interviewed on NPR’s Weekend Edition.
- Gretchen Peters was featured on DallasNews.com. She also wrote a Huffington Post article for Transgender Day of Remembrance. Peters’ son is transgender.
- Popular Science posted an image gallery of “strange musical instruments” from their archives, including the harpitar and the world’s largest fiddle, built by a New Jersey man in 1935.
- Del McCoury pulled out the five-string for a song during his Alexandria, VA show, with Sam Bush accompanying him on fiddle.
- On November 29, Ted Russell Kamp will stream a live concert for the Blackwing Sessions. He’ll be performing songs from his new record, Night Owl, which is due out in January.
- Bill Friskics-Warren reviewed the Tompkins Square box set Work Hard, Play Hard, Pray Hard: Hard Time, Good Time & End Time Music 1923-1936.
- Lindi Ortega is American Songwriter’s Writer of the Week.
- CMT’s Craig Shelburne interviewed producer Scott Hendricks.
- Gary LeVox discusses Rascal Flatts’ near breakup and the band’s restaurant chain in this audio clip.
- Krystal Keith has been officially signed to father Toby’s Show Dog-Universal label.
- Walt Wilkins, Drew Kennedy, Rodney Parker, and others write about what they’re thankful for over at Galleywinter.
- Hunter Hayes sat down for a Q&A with John Ritchie of American Songwriter.
- It’s Acoustic Week at MusicRadar.com. Today they’re covering country music. Blues has also been featured.
- “Jazzgrass” group MilkDrive is featured on CMT Edge.
- Jewly Hight leads an entertaining conversation with Corb Lund and Hayes Carll.
- Who controls the music in your house?
- The Deep Dark Woods were among the winners of this year’s Canadian Folk Music Awards.
- Listen to “I Lost My Job of Loving You” from Buddy Miller & Jim Lauderdale’s new album, and download their version of “The Train That Carried My Gal from Town” on the duo’s Facebook page.
- Here’s a track from Bobby Rush’s upcoming album, Down in Louisiana.
- Download songs from Rayna Gellert, Mary Bridget Davies, and more.
- The Time Jumpers have a new video.
- CMT Edge premiered a video from Ronnie Fauss’ Nashville recording sessions.
- This week’s album releases—including the Black Friday specials:
Buddy Miller & Jim Lauderale – Buddy & Jim (Black Friday release)
Merle Haggard – Capitol Rarities (Black Friday 10″ vinyl release)
Wanda Jackson – Capitol Rarities (Black Friday 10″)
George Jones – United Artist Rarities (Black Friday 10″)
Buck Owens – Buck Sings Eagles (Black Friday 10″)
- Arlene: Sorry. I meant to give the link for "Supper Time." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZ58Kfe41kI
- Arlene: Another song sung by Ethel Waters: Irving Berlin's "Supper Time"
- bob: Powerful songs. I read the book "A Lynching in the Heartland" by James H. Madison about a dozen years ago. …
- Ron: Sky Above, Mud Below by Tom Russell is another.
- Jack Williams: Another Othis Taylor song from White African is "My Soul's in Louisiana."
- Jack Williams: Lynch Blues - Corey Harris Countrycide (The Ballad of Ed and Charlie Brown) - Alvin Youngblood Hart Divine Object of Hatred - …
- TexasVet: Marty Robbins - The Hanging Tree https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xczpRc6_yBA
- Janice Brooks: Nice lineup I think I read today was the Emmett Till incident.
- Juli Thanki: For $2,000, I'd want to ride a unicorn in Central Park with Chely.
- luckyoldsun: Leann- I've biked a lot of laps around Central Park over the years. If I thought it would get me to …