Hayes Carll & Bob Schneider Announce Tour; Free Valentine’s Day Sampler; New Song Premieres
- The March 2014 issue of Cowboys and Indians features an interview with Randy Poe, who put together the (highly recommended) Buck Owens autobiography, Buck ‘Em.
- Check out the Seldom Scene’s new version of “Hickory Wind” featuring Emmylou Harris. This cut will be included on the bluegrass band’s forthcoming record, Long Time…Seldom Scene, which is due out April 22.
- Other song premieres:
Nick Moss Band – “Fare Thee Well” (from Time Ain’t Free, out March 18)
Martina McBride – “Suspicious Minds” (from Everlasting, out March 4)
Benmont Tench – “Veronica Said” (from You Should Be So Lucky, out February 18)
- Watch outtakes from Kacey Musgraves and Dale Watson’s Austin City Limits taping.
- Then watch a teaser for Heartworn Highways Revisited.
- Jon Caramanica (The New York Times) on Eric Church’s The Outsiders: Often on this album, Mr. Church seems so keen to talk up his tough-guy values that it suggests his own self-doubt, or a desire to draw attention away from the fact that, deep down, he wants and loves exactly the same things that many of his less-heralded contemporaries do. Which is to say that Eric Church is a conservative, an old-school values guy passing for rebellious in neutered times. And, more damning, he’s capable of delivering a negligible song — say, “Roller Coaster Ride,” or “Broke Record,” apart from where he sleazily intones, “You keep yank, yank, yanking my string, string, baby” — as any of the peers he would like you to think he disdains.
- Nathan Stanley (grandson of Ralph) has signed with Willow Creek Records; the label will release Stanley’s album on April 15.
- Take a couple hours and listen to “The Sonic Journey of Alan Lomax.”
- Things the U.S. ski team enjoys: flinging themselves down mountains at ungodly speeds, The Band Perry.
- The SteelDrivers will tape an episode of Song of the Mountains March 1.
- What’s the worst song of all time?
- Elephant Revival announced a string of tour dates.
- Hurray for the Riff Raff was featured on American Songwriter.
- The Alternate Root posted a free Valentine’s Day sampler featuring Ronnie Fauss, Blackie & The Rodeo Kings, and more.
- Jewly Hight profiled 81-year old bluesman Leo Welch for The Nashville Scene.
- Seth Taylor is now an official member of Dailey & Vincent’s band.
- Emmylou Harris and Daniel Lanois are taking the Wrecking Ball anniversary tour to Europe this spring following her U.S. dates.
- Hayes Carll and Bob Schneider are heading out on tour together beginning in late March.
- Mike McColgan (Dropkick Murphys, Street Dogs) is now fronting a project called FM359; the band’s sound is a “confluence of folk and western-blended punk rock & roll.”
- And because nobody wants to do actual work on a snow day, here’s a video – set to bluegrass music — of dogs “helping” their owners shovel. Please enjoy these three extra minutes of procrastination.
- luckyoldsun: Jim Z-- I get the feeling Barry was this close to calling you what Kinky Friedman called his guy from El …
- Leeann Ward: Thanks, NM. I like a good pop hook, to be honest. So, maybe I need to try it again.
- Barry Mazor: OK, Jim Z. That changes everything. I surrender.
- Jim Z: to call the Dirty River Boys an "Austin area band" is still incorrect. They are based in El Paso.
- nm: Leeann, you and I often have similar tastes in more-traditional country. And, to my ears, Sam Hunt's voice and lyrics …
- Barry Mazor: Matter of fact, as always--I did. The notes say the album was recorded & mixed by and at "The …
- Roger: Looking forward to picking up the Jamey Johnson Christmas EP - love all of those songs and can't wait for …
- Jim Z: that record was recorded in El Paso. (you could look it up) and other than appearing in Austin once in …
- Leeann Ward: Yes, I can always use more dobro in my life! Thanks for the Phil Leadbetter tip! I haven't been able to …
- Barry Mazor: OK, Jim. The record's more or less out of Austin. But I'm sure they're also good in El Paso...