Hayes Carll & Bob Schneider Announce Tour; Free Valentine’s Day Sampler; New Song Premieres
- The March 2014 issue of Cowboys and Indians features an interview with Randy Poe, who put together the (highly recommended) Buck Owens autobiography, Buck ‘Em.
- Check out the Seldom Scene’s new version of “Hickory Wind” featuring Emmylou Harris. This cut will be included on the bluegrass band’s forthcoming record, Long Time…Seldom Scene, which is due out April 22.
- Other song premieres:
Nick Moss Band – “Fare Thee Well” (from Time Ain’t Free, out March 18)
Martina McBride – “Suspicious Minds” (from Everlasting, out March 4)
Benmont Tench – “Veronica Said” (from You Should Be So Lucky, out February 18)
- Watch outtakes from Kacey Musgraves and Dale Watson’s Austin City Limits taping.
- Then watch a teaser for Heartworn Highways Revisited.
- Jon Caramanica (The New York Times) on Eric Church’s The Outsiders: Often on this album, Mr. Church seems so keen to talk up his tough-guy values that it suggests his own self-doubt, or a desire to draw attention away from the fact that, deep down, he wants and loves exactly the same things that many of his less-heralded contemporaries do. Which is to say that Eric Church is a conservative, an old-school values guy passing for rebellious in neutered times. And, more damning, he’s capable of delivering a negligible song — say, “Roller Coaster Ride,” or “Broke Record,” apart from where he sleazily intones, “You keep yank, yank, yanking my string, string, baby” — as any of the peers he would like you to think he disdains.
- Nathan Stanley (grandson of Ralph) has signed with Willow Creek Records; the label will release Stanley’s album on April 15.
- Take a couple hours and listen to “The Sonic Journey of Alan Lomax.”
- Things the U.S. ski team enjoys: flinging themselves down mountains at ungodly speeds, The Band Perry.
- The SteelDrivers will tape an episode of Song of the Mountains March 1.
- What’s the worst song of all time?
- Elephant Revival announced a string of tour dates.
- Hurray for the Riff Raff was featured on American Songwriter.
- The Alternate Root posted a free Valentine’s Day sampler featuring Ronnie Fauss, Blackie & The Rodeo Kings, and more.
- Jewly Hight profiled 81-year old bluesman Leo Welch for The Nashville Scene.
- Seth Taylor is now an official member of Dailey & Vincent’s band.
- Emmylou Harris and Daniel Lanois are taking the Wrecking Ball anniversary tour to Europe this spring following her U.S. dates.
- Hayes Carll and Bob Schneider are heading out on tour together beginning in late March.
- Mike McColgan (Dropkick Murphys, Street Dogs) is now fronting a project called FM359; the band’s sound is a “confluence of folk and western-blended punk rock & roll.”
- And because nobody wants to do actual work on a snow day, here’s a video – set to bluegrass music — of dogs “helping” their owners shovel. Please enjoy these three extra minutes of procrastination.
- Jack: "I got turned off a not so new guy’s music after he started recording songs like “Get Drunk and Be …
- A.B.: I think I understand why the eating disorder facility wants to be located there besides it being the former Cash …
- Janice Brooks: Hopes somebody gets those memos about drinking songs. Meanwhile I'm feeling a lot of slots with Bluegrass.
- Leeann: Great news about Ricky Skaggs and Sharon White's duet album! Absolutely appalling about the Keith Urban concert!! Both the rape and …
- bob: I found the Billboard article about country music radio needing an alcohol intervention interesting. Songwriter Adam Wright is quoted as …
- Matt: Definitely agree with C.M. about Maddie & Tae. Certainly not the tidal wave of change some claimed it is or …
- Dave D.: Good stuff, as always. My copy of Producing Country arrived yesterday, and it looks to be as good as …
- Scooter: I agree Holly Williams can do no wrong in my eyes. Such a good album and great to see live …
- Carrie Mclaughlin: Your my Hero Mr. Jim Lauderdale!!! Come to Alaska Please? hehehehe
- Jeremy Dylan: You should check it out Dave D. It's from the first (and strongest) season.