Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Founder Passes Away; Brad Paisley Teams Up with John Fogerty; Free Music from Hayes Carll
- Warren Hellman, philanthropist and founder of Hardly Strictly Bluegrass, passed away last night at the age of 77 due to complications from leukemia.
- Taylor Swift and Scotty McCreery were two of the artists who got spoofed in this SNL sketch.
- News has come out that soulful Etta James is in terminally ill in the last stages of leukemia. She released a country(ish) album in 1997, Love’s Been Rough On Me, that’s worth listening to if you haven’t before.
- The pop country duo Jenny & Ashley released a new holiday single, “Winter Wonderland,” that’s offered as a free song and video download on their Facebook page.
- Brad Paisley is in the studio recording new music and he’ll have a special guest star by the name of John Fogerty with him on his next project.
- In case you hadn’t been able to figure it out already, Carrie Underwood and Taylor Swift make a bunch of money.
- Anticipate a holiday album from Jerrod Niemann in the next year or two.
- Frankie Ballard will be appearing on Craig Ferguson’s show on Thursday, December 22nd.
- Sony Records has signed The Henningsens, an outstanding family act that helped co-write much of The Band Perry’s debut album.
- Rita Ballou’s year-end Top 20 list is more unique than everyone else’s over at Rawhide and Velvet.
- Catch up on your pre-Ryman Auditorium Grand Ole Opry history.
- This is almost reason to go back to school for another degree.
- Keith Lawrence of the Kingsport News and Owensboro Messenger-Inquirer listed his top ten bluegrass albums of the year. Junior Sisk took the top spot.
- Hayes Carll is giving away a free mp3 of his new holiday-themed song, “Grateful for Christmas.”
- Johnny Cash’s sister Joanne Cash has a new album called The Christmas Collection. “I am very proud of my new Christmas album,” says Cash of the all-new collection of Christmas favorites and holiday originals. “My husband Harry and I put together this collection and I am proud to say that he wrote seven of the songs, including a Christmas poem that he re-wrote called ‘The Night Before Christmas.’ I think you will be pleased and blessed as you listen to this collection.” The album can be purchased through her website.
- New music videos from the past week or so:
The Trishas – “Drive”
Darryl Worley – “The Fishin’ Hole Song”
Tanya Tucker – “Merry Christmas Wherever You Are”
Granger Smith – “Red Dirt”
Buddy Goode – “Cougarville”
Lee Brice – “A Woman Like You”
Missy Raines and the New Hip – “When the Day is Done”
Lucy Angel — “Mr. Santa”
Paul Nash — “Crossin’ That Line”
Lindi Ortega – “Christmas Eve With You”
Bearfoot – “Tell Me a Story”
Mark Wayne Glasmire – “Going Home”
Dale Watson & The Texas Two – “What’s Good For You”
Chad Brownlee – “(Christmas) Baby Please Come Home”
Joey+Rory – “A Little More Country Than That”