George Strait Sets Record; Hank Williams Receives Posthumous Pulitzer Award; New Dixie Chicks Compilation
- With “I Gotta Get to You” reaching No. 9 on Billboard‘s top country songs chart George Strait set a new record; he became the first act to hit the top 10 on any Billboard chart for 30 straight years.
- If it weren’t for an improperly placed drainfield that disrupted the sale of David Ball‘s Nashville house, he’d consider himself a Texas regional act right about now. As it stands though, he’s still in Nashville and recorded an album-worth of songs ready for release next week. Peter Cooper has an interview with the seasoned songwriter.
- The Pulitzer Prize Board awarded Hank Williams on Monday for his lifetime achievement as a musician, praising him for “his craftsmanship as a songwriter who expressed universal feelings with poignant simplicity and played a pivotal role in transforming country music into a major musical and cultural force in American life.”
- For those of you champing at the bit to hear Merle Haggard‘s new album I Am What I Am, NPR has you covered.
- John Evans (MySpace: start with “Things I Didn’t Do”), who names Hank Williams, Elvis, and Joe Montana as influences, described his most memorable road story in a recent Q&A:
We played a show in Denver. It’s 3am and I’m driving through the streets of downtown. I see steam coming out of the middle of the street and think it’s a great opportunity for a Bon Jovi pic. I jumped in the middle of it and proceeded to literally melt one of my legs. There’s a big difference between fog and steam. I’m a dumbass.
New releases for the week of April 13, 2010 include:
- Derek Hoke (MySpace) shared his thought process behind writing, recording, and releasing a country album in an interview with American Songwriter‘s Matt Popkin. Country California’s C.M. Wilcox gave the album, Goodbye Rock N Roll, a favorable review late last year. Good stuff.
- A collection of the Dixie Chicks‘ hits, classic tracks, and personal favorites selected by the trio themselves will be released June 1. The track list is available on the band’s website.
- CMT videos:
- Brandon Rhyder performed “Rock Angel” for My Fox Austin last week.
- A new Tammy Wynette exhibit is scheduled to open at the Country Music Hall of Fame on August 20.
- Brad Paisley is scheduled to headline Aquapalooza in Austin, TX on July 10.
- With the release of .357 String Band‘s third album, Lightning From the North, ninebullets.net feels like the band has matured and settled into its “sound.” (MySpace)
- Darius Rucker tackled “Coward of the County” and the Oak Ridge Boys joined Kenny Rogers for “The Gambler” on Saturday for the taping of the TV special Kenny Rogers: The First 50 Years. No date has been announced for the special as of yet.
- Big Machine Records signed country trio Eden’s Edge. (MySpace)
Music Fog videos:
- Paige: Oh damn. :( I never commented here and I haven't been listening to any music at all since Thanksgiving (it …
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …