Hank Williams Biopic; Darius Rucker Hits Platinum; Gill, Yoakam, & Harris Head Hall Fundraiser
- The life of Hank Williams first went to the big screen in 1964 with Your Cheatin’ Heart, but Nashville-based 821 Entertainment Group and Strike Entertainment have teamed up to create a new feature film. Strike Entertainment partner Marc Abraham will write the script using Colin Escott’s book Hank Williams: The Biography as a resource. Escott will be an associate producer.
- Country Haiku:
Love’s the only house
Big enough for all the pain
Must be a big house
- On Oct. 13, Lightning Rod Records will release a live album and bonus DVD from James McMurtry documenting his first tour to Europe.
- Both Lady Antebellum and Josh Turner introduced new singles to radio this week, however, they’ve taken different approaches to releasing that music to the public. “Need You Now,” the lead single from Lady Antebellum’s forthcoming sophomore album is already available at iTunes and can be streamed on MySpace while Josh Turner’s new single “Why Don’t We Just Dance,” also the debut single from his next album, won’t be available for streaming until Aug. 19 and will go on sale six days later. Visit MusicRow for the scoop on other new music releases.
- The Bluegrass Blog dishes on a new fishing compilation, Fishing Music II, and posted a video for “Little Miss Cutthroat.”
- First Brooks & Dunn split, now Country California reports that peanut butter and jelly are parting ways. If this keeps up, Barbie and Ken will be getting a divorce before too long.
- Texas Music Matters posted an audio interview with Steve Earle in Studio 1a. I’m still listening to the whole thing, but there’s a sweet acoustic version of “Pancho & Lefty” within the first five minutes.
- Darius Rucker‘s first country album, Learn to Live, was certified platinum.
- Vince Gill, Dwight Yoakam and Emmylou Harris will participate in a guitar pull in Los Angeles as part of the Country Music Hall of Fame’s All for the Hall fundraiser in Oct.
- Farce the Music received an exclusive shot of Trent Tomlinson sans bandana.
- Songs like “The Keeper of the Stars” and “Don’t Take Her She’s All I Got” are among the Tracy Byrd hits listed in Country Universe’s latest feature on ’90s artists.
- Dierks Bentley and Jim Beavers celebrated the success of their song “Sideways” at a No. 1 party on Tuesday.
- Michelle Branch on her new country solo album, due out this fall:
She recalls telling her label, Warner Bros. Nashville, “‘If I sound like I’m trying too hard to make a country record, this is not going to be believable to anybody.’
“I said, ‘Let’s just make the record, and it’s going to sound country because that’s the instrumentation I’m in love with and I’m writing with people here in Nashville. Let’s not overthink it.’”
- Dolly Parton has a new video out for “Change It,” from her Broadyway musical 9 to 5.
- Rounder Records will reissue a Ralph Stanley album with Charlie Sizemore on guitar on Sept. 22. Titled Can’t You Hear the Mountains Calling, the 12-track album was originally released in 1985 on cassette tape under the name Sixteen Years.
- Leeann: Great news about Ricky Skaggs and Sharon White's duet album! Absolutely appalling about the Keith Urban concert!! Both the rape and …
- bob: I found the Billboard article about country music radio needing an alcohol intervention interesting. Songwriter Adam Wright is quoted as …
- Matt: Definitely agree with C.M. about Maddie & Tae. Certainly not the tidal wave of change some claimed it is or …
- Dave D.: Good stuff, as always. My copy of Producing Country arrived yesterday, and it looks to be as good as …
- Scooter: I agree Holly Williams can do no wrong in my eyes. Such a good album and great to see live …
- Carrie Mclaughlin: Your my Hero Mr. Jim Lauderdale!!! Come to Alaska Please? hehehehe
- Jeremy Dylan: You should check it out Dave D. It's from the first (and strongest) season.
- Leeann: Wow! I love that Holly William's cover of "No Surrender"! She's gotten to be so good.
- luckyoldsun: I made it through a minute of that "Girl In a Country Song Video." Man, that sucks.
- lindsay thomas: Wife and I saw these guys last Thursday night, (7-24-14) at the Ryman in Nashville. What a show. …