Hank Jr.’s Rowdy Friends Tour; The House Honors Lester Flatt; New Releases
- Jamey Johnson, Eric Church, and The Grascals are joining Hank Williams, Jr. for his Rowdy Friends Tour. The initial round of dates will kick off April 2.
- Blake Shelton‘s list of the top six words that should never be used in a country song concludes with “badonkadonk.”
- Ken Tucker has a new favorite and her name is Sarah Buxton. Read his interview with her on his blog Plain Speak.
- Austin Music Source’s Michael Corcoran, a self-confessed snob of black gospel music, scorned the new Patty Griffin record:
Patty Griffin is an amazingly athletic singer and her fans will love her attempt to get next to God on “Downtown Church,” recorded at a Presbyterian one in Nashville. But there’s no growl in the gal. Praising a higher power who can’t get the electricity turned back on takes an innate quiver or twist that, like Lady Soul, Griffin just doesn’t have. Don’t know why she thought she could bring something fresh to “If I Had My Way” and “Wade In the Water.” When the Staple Singers did those songs in the ’60s, they were done. Produced by Buddy Miller as if he has too many albums and loves them all, “Downtown Church” is often divinely stirring but lacks a deep spiritual core.
- Craig Shelburne labels Shelby Lynne‘s I Am Shelby Lynne an essential breakup record.
New releases for the week of January 26, 2009 include:
- Before being contacted by Dailey & Vincent for a gig as the bass vocalist, Christian Davis was unfamiliar with bluegrass and didn’t possess a proficiency with any of the bluegrass instruments, yet he still landed the job. Based on John Lawless’ review of Davis’ second show, his hiring was a sound decision.
- Radney Foster on Zane Williams: “He has the wordsmith chops of a young Guy Clark and the melodic sense of Rodney Crowell.”
- Kenny Chesney announced four summer shows in Las Vegas at the Hard Rock Hotel and Casino.
“The beauty of the Joint is that not only is it a great rock and roll room, but they’ll let us get up there and play … and play … and play.”
- The House of Representatives voted unanimously Tuesday to honor bluegrass legend Lester Flatt.
- Drive-By Truckers has a new song out. (via The Gobblers Knob)
- Find out how Justin Moore compares to Randy Travis and Charlie Daniels on Farce the Music’s Badass-o-meter.
- Read C.M. Wilcox’s “fanimesto” on the subject of cynicism:
It’s tempting to fight cynicism with cynicism, to assume nothing good can come of the major label system and stop paying attention to it altogether. […]
But there’s plenty of good music in Nashville, and there’s even good major label music being made by people not named Jamey or Miranda. As with anything, you just have to keep wading around long enough to find it. So, that’s what I’ll keep doing here. I can’t very easily change my tastes, and I won’t pretend to like stuff I don’t, but I can watch the show and give my own take on what’s interesting about it, in ways both good and bad.
- Music Fog: Sons of Bill – “Joey’s Arm”
- David Ball‘s next record, Sparkle City, will be released in April.
- Jamey Johnson isn’t out to boost anyone’s good mood:
“Music can’t be Prozac,” he says. “You can’t just sing somebody into bein’ in a good mood on the way to work. It ain’t gonna happen. I’m not sayin’ a guy that’s in a good mood don’t deserve his song, too. But what about the couple that’s goin’ through hell, and nobody knows that they have to put on a front when they’re out in public and smile and look like everything’s cool, and then they get home and throw dishes at each other ‘til they go to sleep? What about those guys? They need to be fed, too. Just to know that they’re not alone sometimes just makes ‘em a little more calm about it. You just lay back a little bit — ‘I’m not crazy. Somebody else is doin’ it, too.’”
- Free mp3: Download Ronnie Fauss‘ “Night Before The War,” a song from one of the two EPs he released last year.
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.