Hank Jr.’s Rowdy Friends Tour; The House Honors Lester Flatt; New Releases
- Jamey Johnson, Eric Church, and The Grascals are joining Hank Williams, Jr. for his Rowdy Friends Tour. The initial round of dates will kick off April 2.
- Blake Shelton‘s list of the top six words that should never be used in a country song concludes with “badonkadonk.”
- Ken Tucker has a new favorite and her name is Sarah Buxton. Read his interview with her on his blog Plain Speak.
- Austin Music Source’s Michael Corcoran, a self-confessed snob of black gospel music, scorned the new Patty Griffin record:
Patty Griffin is an amazingly athletic singer and her fans will love her attempt to get next to God on “Downtown Church,” recorded at a Presbyterian one in Nashville. But there’s no growl in the gal. Praising a higher power who can’t get the electricity turned back on takes an innate quiver or twist that, like Lady Soul, Griffin just doesn’t have. Don’t know why she thought she could bring something fresh to “If I Had My Way” and “Wade In the Water.” When the Staple Singers did those songs in the ’60s, they were done. Produced by Buddy Miller as if he has too many albums and loves them all, “Downtown Church” is often divinely stirring but lacks a deep spiritual core.
- Craig Shelburne labels Shelby Lynne‘s I Am Shelby Lynne an essential breakup record.
New releases for the week of January 26, 2009 include:
- Before being contacted by Dailey & Vincent for a gig as the bass vocalist, Christian Davis was unfamiliar with bluegrass and didn’t possess a proficiency with any of the bluegrass instruments, yet he still landed the job. Based on John Lawless’ review of Davis’ second show, his hiring was a sound decision.
- Radney Foster on Zane Williams: “He has the wordsmith chops of a young Guy Clark and the melodic sense of Rodney Crowell.”
- Kenny Chesney announced four summer shows in Las Vegas at the Hard Rock Hotel and Casino.
“The beauty of the Joint is that not only is it a great rock and roll room, but they’ll let us get up there and play … and play … and play.”
- The House of Representatives voted unanimously Tuesday to honor bluegrass legend Lester Flatt.
- Drive-By Truckers has a new song out. (via The Gobblers Knob)
- Find out how Justin Moore compares to Randy Travis and Charlie Daniels on Farce the Music’s Badass-o-meter.
- Read C.M. Wilcox’s “fanimesto” on the subject of cynicism:
It’s tempting to fight cynicism with cynicism, to assume nothing good can come of the major label system and stop paying attention to it altogether. [...]
But there’s plenty of good music in Nashville, and there’s even good major label music being made by people not named Jamey or Miranda. As with anything, you just have to keep wading around long enough to find it. So, that’s what I’ll keep doing here. I can’t very easily change my tastes, and I won’t pretend to like stuff I don’t, but I can watch the show and give my own take on what’s interesting about it, in ways both good and bad.
- Music Fog: Sons of Bill – “Joey’s Arm”
- David Ball‘s next record, Sparkle City, will be released in April.
- Jamey Johnson isn’t out to boost anyone’s good mood:
“Music can’t be Prozac,” he says. “You can’t just sing somebody into bein’ in a good mood on the way to work. It ain’t gonna happen. I’m not sayin’ a guy that’s in a good mood don’t deserve his song, too. But what about the couple that’s goin’ through hell, and nobody knows that they have to put on a front when they’re out in public and smile and look like everything’s cool, and then they get home and throw dishes at each other ‘til they go to sleep? What about those guys? They need to be fed, too. Just to know that they’re not alone sometimes just makes ‘em a little more calm about it. You just lay back a little bit — ‘I’m not crazy. Somebody else is doin’ it, too.’”
- Free mp3: Download Ronnie Fauss‘ “Night Before The War,” a song from one of the two EPs he released last year.
- luckyoldsun: And sometimes she breaks into "I Fought the Law and the Law Won."
- bob: @Leeann - Don Schlitz's wife Stacy is also a good singer. At some of his shows, she'll sing a song …
- Leeann: It's hardly on topic, but Don Schlitz's wife is an actual lawyer.
- Erik North: I like that list of country songs that Laura Cantrell drew up for people who are suspicious of the genre. …
- Leeann: Thank you for linking to my discussion. To clarify, they're not so much my favorite Dad songs, but rather, songs …
- Jack: "I got turned off a not so new guy’s music after he started recording songs like “Get Drunk and Be …
- A.B.: I think I understand why the eating disorder facility wants to be located there besides it being the former Cash …
- Janice Brooks: Hopes somebody gets those memos about drinking songs. Meanwhile I'm feeling a lot of slots with Bluegrass.
- Leeann: Great news about Ricky Skaggs and Sharon White's duet album! Absolutely appalling about the Keith Urban concert!! Both the rape and …
- bob: I found the Billboard article about country music radio needing an alcohol intervention interesting. Songwriter Adam Wright is quoted as …