Hall of Fame Inductees Named; Noam Pikelny & Stuart Duncan Announce Tour Dates; New Album Releases
- The 2014 Country Music Hall of Fame inductees are:
Hank Cochran (Songwriter)
Mac Wiseman (Veteran Era)
Ronnie Milsap (Modern Era)
- Omnivore Recordings is holding a spring sale. Go get some music from Merle Haggard, Wanda Jackson, Buck Owens, Don Rich, and lots more.
- Noam Pikelny and Stuart Duncan are touring as a duo this summer.
- John Fullbright released a video – filmed at Willie Nelson’s ranch — for “Happy,” the opening track on his new record, Songs (out May 27). Fullbright also played a couple songs for Jam in the Van.
- Nickel Creek talked about their reunion in this Wall Street Journal article penned by Jim Fusilli.
- Headliners for this year’s Taste of Chicago Fest (July 9-13) include Emmylou Harris and Jeff Tweedy.
- Dolly Parton remains flawless. An excerpt from her speech at sister Stella’s Red Tent Women’s Conference: “Above everything else I’ve done, I’ve always said I’ve had more guts than I’ve got talent…I just had enough talents to carry me through. This is what I always wanted to do, and I’ve been through a lot. It ain’t all glamour — that is certainly true — but it’s been worth it for me. And above everything else, I have always tried.”
- Download a Felice Brothers sampler at NoiseTrade.
- The new Muse sampler features songs from John Fullbright and Luther Dickinson.
- Moot Davis’ “Goin’ in Hot” is available for free dollars today.
- CMT Edge posted Bradford Lee Folk’s “Trains Don’t Lie.”
- NPR is streaming The Milk Carton Kids’ live DVD.
- Here’s the newest installment of Quotable Country.
- Most Messed Up, The Old 97′s new record, is streaming at Amazon before its April 29 release.
- Jesse Winchester’s “Sham-A-Ling-Dong-Ding” is the American Songwriter Lyric of the Week.
- John Prine to Peter Cooper: “Most of the time, I’d rather go get a hotdog than write a song.”
- The Zac Brown Band will headline the inaugural Prairie Jam Music Festival in Winnipeg this August.
- The Bluegrass Situation posted Willie Watson’s new music video.
- Carrie Underwood is a Billboard Milestone Award finalist. She’s up against pop stars Ellie Goulding and OneRepublic.
- Grascal Danny Roberts will release a solo album called Nighthawk on May 20.
- Farce the Music posted the lyrics to Jerrod Niemann’s “Donkey.” It may sound like a FTM parody, but it’s not. Someone – several someones, actually — wrote this.
- Our pal Ben at Country Universe interviewed Jamie O’Neal.
- If you follow us on Twitter, you know we spend a fair amount of time pondering serious issues like, “What if Game of Thrones was set in Nashville?” Turns out that Michiel Huisman, who plays Liam on Nashville, left that show to become GoT’s new Daario Naharis, where he’ll sing less, but behead more. (If you don’t watch either of these shows, this blurb is probably gibberish. Just move along.)
- Jim Rooney has written a new book. In It for the Long Run: A Musical Oddity is out now via the University of Illinois Press.
- Mavis Staples and Regina Carter captivated a Chicago crowd with their take on American roots music.
- This week’s album releases (if you enjoy the content on E145, we’d sure appreciate it if you’d help support the site by purchasing your music through these affiliate links):
The Seldom Scene – Long Time…Seldom Scene
Black Prairie – Fortune
Rachele Lynae – Rachele Lynae
Keb’ Mo – BluesAmericana
After Jack – Echo
Magnolia Sisters – Love’s Lies
Rosanne Cash – Right or Wrong (reissue)
- And a very, very funny book:
- Jack Williams: I'm a little surprised to hear of Shelby Lynne signing with another label, even if it is Rounder. She …
- A.B.: THREE new albums from Sturgill next year?! I'm excited for that!
- Keith Samuels: I can't wait to listen to the entire recording. What a treasure.
- numberonecountryfan: She did say the version of “How Do I Live” is the “country” version which was previously released to radio …
- bll: I'm happy for any new music from Trisha. I hope MCA doesn't decide to repackage her old stuff and release …
- Barry Mazor: I know for a fact that most of the album was recorded fresh and new with Garth Fundis some months …
- luckyoldsun: Michael, From the way it's being promoted, with Yearwood announcing a new label and a new album and with The Tennessean …
- Linda Salmons: Whoaa!!!! Makes the hair stand up on the back of my neck. Beautiful tone and nuance - unmistakably Auldridge.
- Michael A.: Billboard also posted a pretty good piece on the new Trisha Yearwood album yesterday. Unfortunately, it sounds like only …
- Kathy Gaddis: Very very nice!