Gwyneth Paltrow to Release Country Single; Josh Turner Expecting Child No. 3; Carrie Underwood’s 13 No. 1s
- Actress Gwyneth Paltrow plans to release a new single titled “Country Strong” to radio come late August. The single, featuring background vocals from Vince Gill and Patty Griffin, is being released in conjunction with her new movie of the same name in which she plays a washed-up country singer. The film itself, starring Tim McGraw as Paltrow’s husband and manager, isn’t scheduled for release until Dec. 22.
New releases for the week of July 27, 2010 include:
- Billy Joe Shaver canceled his August dates to heal from surgery.
- Galleywinter is hosting its ninth edition of GreenFest this weekend in New Braunfels, Texas. Among the artists performing are: Josh Grider Trio, 11 Bones, Turnpike Troubadours, Drew Kennedy, Brison Bursey, Bobby Duncan, Rodney Hayden, and Rosehill.
- The Boot’s Nancy Dunham introduced Awake But Dreaming, the new traditional country/swing-influenced album from Laura Cash, which was released early last month and features Lloyd Green, Pig Robbins, and Bobby Flores among the illustrious list of musicians. (MySpace | Amazon)
- Josh Turner and his wife Jennifer, who plays keyboards and sings back-up in his band, have baby number three on the way.
- Miss Leslie implores readers to buy Brennen Leigh‘s new album The Box:
From that first note until the last note of the CD, you will be drawn into a woman’s world. You’ll hear flavors of bluegrass, country, and blues, but the lyrics are deep. This isn’t songwriting on some superficial level. With elements of love, heartbreak, regret, and the humanity that calls most of us to music in the first place.
- Brenda Lee donated memorabilia collected throughout her career to the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum.
- Kellie Pickler and Chris Young had to cancel fair dates in Sept. that coincided with their opening gigs on the Rascal Flatt‘s tour.
- Twangville’s Shawn Underwood introduced the “outlaw gospel” of The Back Row Baptists in his review of the band’s new album, Broken Hearts & Bad Decisions. (MySpace)
- With the success of “Undo It,” Carrie Underwood earned her 13th No. 1. Overall, it’s the sixth chart topper she’s had a hand in writing.
- $5 Amazon albums: Carrie Underwood‘s Some Hearts, Brandi Carlile‘s Give Up The Ghost, Merle Haggard‘s I Am What I Am, Glen Campbell‘s Rhinestone Cowboy: the Best of Glen Campbell, Chely Wright‘s Lifted Off The Ground, and Dierks Bentley‘s Up On The Ridge.
- The music industry hasn’t seen an album sell more than a million units in its debut week since 2008, but Taylor Swift‘s upcoming album, Speak Now, is considered to have the best shot at ending that drought. The perception in Nashville, according to one unnamed, major-label sales executive, is that Swift has reach her peak, and even then, skepticism remains. Even Big Machine Records’ distributor, Universal Music Group Distribution, is projecting numbers south of the 1 million mark.
- Sounds Country highlighted the Elizabeth Cook track “El Camino” from her recent release, Welder.
- Applejack: It's not just you, Andrew L. I just listened to the clips on Amazon, and the autotune effect is terrible.
- Andrew L.: Is it just me or does Strait sound horribly autotuned on the clips for the new live album? I can't …
- Juli Thanki: You'll get to hear it pretty soon: The Wall Street Journal is going to stream the album on their website …
- Leeann Ward: Way to go to David Cantwell for getting a name drop! Great interview, Juli! Womack's new album is awesome! I've not always …
- Jonathan Pappalardo: Great interview as always, Juli! The new album is fantastic. "Same Kind of Different" is my favorite cut although "Fly" is …
- Dave D.: Good interview. Looking forward to the new record, and particularly interested in hearing her version of Brennen Leigh's "Sleeping with …
- nm: I guess it's not surprising that a singer who gets her songs all over the place, the way Womack does, …
- SunsetPark: As a Pennsylvanian to this day, thanks for the list. I haven't heard the Quecreek song and so can't …
- Paul W Dennis: I would urge readers to check out the Billy Edd Wheeler salute on October 18, 2014. Billy Edd Wheeler is …
- Leeann Ward: I'm really liking Pink's folk duo song! I'm looking forward to the album!