Gwyneth Paltrow to Release Country Single; Josh Turner Expecting Child No. 3; Carrie Underwood’s 13 No. 1s
- Actress Gwyneth Paltrow plans to release a new single titled “Country Strong” to radio come late August. The single, featuring background vocals from Vince Gill and Patty Griffin, is being released in conjunction with her new movie of the same name in which she plays a washed-up country singer. The film itself, starring Tim McGraw as Paltrow’s husband and manager, isn’t scheduled for release until Dec. 22.
New releases for the week of July 27, 2010 include:
- Billy Joe Shaver canceled his August dates to heal from surgery.
- Galleywinter is hosting its ninth edition of GreenFest this weekend in New Braunfels, Texas. Among the artists performing are: Josh Grider Trio, 11 Bones, Turnpike Troubadours, Drew Kennedy, Brison Bursey, Bobby Duncan, Rodney Hayden, and Rosehill.
- The Boot’s Nancy Dunham introduced Awake But Dreaming, the new traditional country/swing-influenced album from Laura Cash, which was released early last month and features Lloyd Green, Pig Robbins, and Bobby Flores among the illustrious list of musicians. (MySpace | Amazon)
- Josh Turner and his wife Jennifer, who plays keyboards and sings back-up in his band, have baby number three on the way.
- Miss Leslie implores readers to buy Brennen Leigh‘s new album The Box:
From that first note until the last note of the CD, you will be drawn into a woman’s world. You’ll hear flavors of bluegrass, country, and blues, but the lyrics are deep. This isn’t songwriting on some superficial level. With elements of love, heartbreak, regret, and the humanity that calls most of us to music in the first place.
- Brenda Lee donated memorabilia collected throughout her career to the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum.
- Kellie Pickler and Chris Young had to cancel fair dates in Sept. that coincided with their opening gigs on the Rascal Flatt‘s tour.
- Twangville’s Shawn Underwood introduced the “outlaw gospel” of The Back Row Baptists in his review of the band’s new album, Broken Hearts & Bad Decisions. (MySpace)
- With the success of “Undo It,” Carrie Underwood earned her 13th No. 1. Overall, it’s the sixth chart topper she’s had a hand in writing.
- $5 Amazon albums: Carrie Underwood‘s Some Hearts, Brandi Carlile‘s Give Up The Ghost, Merle Haggard‘s I Am What I Am, Glen Campbell‘s Rhinestone Cowboy: the Best of Glen Campbell, Chely Wright‘s Lifted Off The Ground, and Dierks Bentley‘s Up On The Ridge.
- The music industry hasn’t seen an album sell more than a million units in its debut week since 2008, but Taylor Swift‘s upcoming album, Speak Now, is considered to have the best shot at ending that drought. The perception in Nashville, according to one unnamed, major-label sales executive, is that Swift has reach her peak, and even then, skepticism remains. Even Big Machine Records’ distributor, Universal Music Group Distribution, is projecting numbers south of the 1 million mark.
- Sounds Country highlighted the Elizabeth Cook track “El Camino” from her recent release, Welder.
- Jeremy Dylan: You should check it out Dave D. It's from the first (and strongest) season.
- Leeann: Wow! I love that Holly William's cover of "No Surrender"! She's gotten to be so good.
- luckyoldsun: I made it through a minute of that "Girl In a Country Song Video." Man, that sucks.
- lindsay thomas: Wife and I saw these guys last Thursday night, (7-24-14) at the Ryman in Nashville. What a show. …
- Donald: I'm guessing that is meant to read 're-release' Detroit to Wheeling, as the double album originally appeared on Pinecastle in …
- Michael A.: Has anyone else had a difficult time trying to get the free download from the Reba site?
- Dave D.: I can't believe that I never saw the Willie Nelson Monk episode - and it was a Sharona episode, as …
- nm: Taylor Swift was on CSI once. Not only was Steve Earle on The Wire, in one episode Omar quoted him about …
- Barry Mazor: It's only a slight stretch to recall when Jimmy Dean met James Bond: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbwDGtj84YY
- Arlene: I suspect you'll also be including an episode of L.A. Law....