Guy Clark Announces New Album; Country Music’s Darkest Day Remembered; New Music Videos
- Guy Clark’s camp went to Facebook to announce that he will be releasing a new album called My Favorite Picture of You this spring.
- Peter Cooper wrote a phenomenal piece for the Tennessean on the 50th anniversary of the tragic plane crash that took the lives of Patsy Cline, Cowboy Copas, Hawkshaw Hawkins and Randy Hughes.
- Collin Raye is putting the finishing touches on a yet-untitled Glen Campbell tribute album that will have Ricky Skaggs appear as a guest star.
- Did Martina McBride and Republic part ways?
- Jana Kramer will be appearing in a new film called Approaching Midnight. You can catch the trailer here.
- Joey + Rory’s 5th Annual Bib and Buckle Fest will be held at their farmhouse in Pottsville, Tenn. on June 1. Joey says, “One added feature we will have at the festival this year is a Songwriter’s Stage in the big barn where we do a lot of the TV show taping. You will be able to hear some of the best singer-songwriters sing their songs and tell the stories behind them.” (via press release)
- Big & Rich were awarded the CRS 2013 Artist Humanitarian Award at Country Radio Seminar for their work with visiting individual patients in hospitals, staging benefit concerts for the Country Music Hall of Fame and the 173rd Airborne Memorial, and their international outreach in Uganda, Sudan, Haiti and Kenya.
- Also at CRS, Brad Paisley jammed with REO Speedwagon aboard the General Jackson showboat.
- Craig Morgan has entered a dogsled race in the Arctic Circle.
- The Center for Copyright Information launched the Copyright Alert System, a “six strikes program” to help curb the illegal downloading of music.
- Kevin Costner is touring in Russia.
- The Moody Blues’ Justin Hayward released a new, bluegrass-influenced album called Spirits of the Western Sky last week.
- Alvin Breeden of bluegrass band Alvin Breeden & the Virginia Cutups passed away at the age of 70.
- The Ballard Brothers have a new bluegrass parody song criticizing government overreach.
- Granger Smith is releasing Dirt Road Driveway on April 16.
- Another Texan, Casey Donahew, is releasing Stand Off on the same date.
- Marty Raybon and Full Circle will release Back Forty on March 26. (via press release)
- Kenny Chesney unveiled the artwork for his upcoming album, Life on a Rock.
- Jewly Hight did an interview with The SteelDrivers’ Gary Nichols for CMT Edge. An excerpt: “I’d had the lonesome songs, but I didn’t have a killin’ song until I joined the band. Normally, I don’t set out to write a particular song or for a particular artist. I just write whatever’s on my mind. … “Shallow Grave” and “When You Don’t Come Home,” we set out to write a particular type of song, and fortunately we were successful. Because lots of times, when you plan to write something, it fails. It was definitely a fun way for me to vent and be a little bit violent because that’s the opposite of my character.”
- Dailey and Vincent will be releasing a new Rounder Records album called Brothers of the Highway on May 7.
- New music videos from the past week or so:
Craig Campbell and Troy Cassar-Daley – “The Sunshine Club”
Ashley Monroe – “Like a Rose”
Eric Welford – “What Country Is”
Cody Purvis – “Rednecks in the Ryman”
Dustin Craig – “I Can’t Turn Back Time”
The Henningsens – “American Beautiful”
Lincoln Durham – “Ballad of a Prodigal Son”
Maddison Krebs – “Kisses”
Tasha Blackmore – “Permanent Memory”
Gord Bamford – “Farm Girl Strong”
Luke Bryan – “Buzzkill”
Kait Lawson – “Memphis”
The Dirty Guv’nahs – “Fairlane”
Courtney Jaye – “Say Oh Say”
Jerrod Niemann – “Only God Could Love You More”
Steve Earle – “Invisible”
Caitlin Rose – “Only a Clown”
Eli Young Band – “Life at Best”
- Ken Morton, Jr.: The inferiority complex of the CMA never ceases to amaze me.
- Barry Mazor: Thanks for explaining that to me, Luckyol.
- luckyoldsun: Barry, I think you're taking it a bit too seriously. CMT has to keep coming up with new lists to make. …
- Barry Mazor: Thi is a world in which the "top 40 most influential country artists of all time" do not include, for …
- luckyoldsun: I just noticed that Garth and King George are still to come. So unless I'm missing something else, the remaining seven …
- Leeann Ward: I hate it when people pronounce the days of the week with a "dy" ending instead of "day." It's like …
- luckyoldsun: Looking at that bizarre CMT Artists' list with Johnny Cash coming in at #8, it raises the question--Who are the …
- Leeann Ward: I'd have to agree with LOS here. The song was fair game to be released. It's no surprised that it …
- luckyoldsun: "'Brotherly Love,' IS a Keith Whitley song. Trying to take advantage of the impact sales, and the tragedy of Keith’s …
- Leeann Ward: Yes, we know that it's technically a Keith Whitley song, as Juli noted above.