Guitarist Fred Carter, Jr. Passed Away; Taylor Swift Schedules Live Web Chat; Stars’ Stage Names
- One of Nashville’s famous session musicians of the past, guitarist Fred Carter, Jr., and father of country singer Deana Carter passed away on Saturday of stroke-related causes at the age of 76.
New releases for the week of July 20, 2010 include:
- Kris Kristofferson remembers Hank Cochran:
“Once we were all together being filmed taking turns singing our songs when suddenly the action was interrupted by Poodie Locke — Willie’s famous roadie — punching Hank in the face hard, apparently over a woman he’d stolen. It sort of disrupted things for awhile, and I remember Willie saying, “It was kinda like seeing your mother-in-law drive off a cliff in your new Cadillac. I thought, ‘All right! Oh, no!’
“Later back stage we were all drinking and laughing, and Hank was sitting off by himself. He was wearing a pith helmet, with dark glasses to cover the black eye. I went over and asked him how he was doing. He didn’t say anything for a few moments, then he said, ‘My horoscope said this was going to be a better day.’ That’s all he said all night.
(C.M. already mentioned this one in this week’s Quotable Country, but it was too good to not post again.)
- Watch The Grascal‘s new video for the song “Last Train to Clarksville.”
- In his review of the new Asleep at the Wheel and Leon Rausch album It’s a Good Day, Austin Music Source’s John T. Davis asks: “Now that Ray Benson and Asleep At the Wheel are the de facto elder statesmen of Western swing, where are the hot young next-generation musicians looking up to them?”
- Craig Morgan is the latest country star to team up with Cracker Barrel. That’s Why – Collector’s Edition, a new version of his previous album, will be released on July 26 with two previously unreleased songs: “You” and “Evel Kneivel.”
- Farce the Music presents the sage advice of Roger Miller in pictorial form.
- Taylor Swift has a live web chat scheduled for 4 PM CDT today to answer fan questions and discuss her upcoming third album.
- Country California: Quotable Country – 07/18/10 Edition
- Blake Shelton solved one of music’s mysteries, but don’t expect an explanation: “Hot damn!!! I did it!!! At 6:04 A.M. July 20th 2010 I Blake Shelton have figured out what happened in the story of ‘Poncho and Lefty’!!!!!”
- Don Williams is touring through the month of October, including two dates at the Ryman Auditorium (Oct. 20 & 21) leading up to his induction into the Country Music Hall of Fame. (via The Tennessean)
- The new, yet-to-be-titled Reba McEntire album will be released Nov. 9. It will be her second for The Valory Music Co.
- Tim McGraw, in an interview with CMT Insider correspondent and half-brother Mark McGraw, talked about the point in his career when he realized things were on the up and up. And in a review of his concert in Boston on Saturday night, Stuart Munro applauds McGraw’s efforts to hone his skills and improve over the years.
- Houston Press’ Nicholas L. Hall describes The Mother Truckers:
You remember that scene in Back to the Future where Marty McFly cuts loose on “Johnny B. Goode,” and his pre-Chuck Berry audience absolutely loses it? That’s The Mother Truckers, especially the part where McFly loses his shit and starts kicking over amplifiers.
- CMT’s Craig Shelburne revealed the real names behind some of country’s stars of the past and present.
- Winners of the recent Judge Jerrod and The Hung Jury album giveaway are: SW, Robin M, Jan Olson, Ryan Roberts, and Chad. Congrats to those guys and gals, and as always, thanks to everyone for commenting and entering. If you didn’t win this time, you still have until Wednesday to enter for a chance at the just-released Sweet Home Alabama – The Country Music Tribute To Lynyrd Skynyrd album.
- Barry Mazor: What the "Americana" term brings to mind, by this point, is a matter of time and marketing. Like all …
- Paul W Dennis: I loved the Jerry Douglas interview and love the ideas behind his two concept albums Unfortunately I never had the opportunity …
- luckyoldsun: Barry, That's a good point, as far as country itself being a word that refers to a lot more than a …
- Six String Richie: Also, in regards to that article, Aldean's #2 complaint was "Nashville Copycats" and he gripes that people are copping Luke …
- Six String Richie: Billboard misprinted his new single as "Burnin' It Up" in that article! That goes to show how little even …
- CraigR.: Here are 5 things that piss me off about Jason Aldean: 1. He is a sore winner. Why complain when you …
- Barry Mazor: The words "country" and jazz (or "jass") and blues had been around for decades before they became genres (or formats) …
- Jeff Miller: Yeah, the first time I played Jimmie Rodgers for my wife & daughter- they were aghast that he was singing …
- David Cantwell: I think it more helpful to think of Americana not as a genre but as a format--and, perhaps better, and …
- Juli Thanki: That would definitely be better than Marvel's hilariously terrible Billy Ray Cyrus comic book, released in 1995. http://4thletter.net/2009/02/billy-ray-cyrus-the-marvel-comic-book-yes-really/